WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Fringe Christianity

Jugular

volatile
Pretty much every person I know, knows the story of Jesus Christ. Only some of them believe it to be 100% true. If you don't know the story of Jesus start with this link: http://www.lifeofchrist.com/life/lifescan/

Anyway, its pretty fucked up, yet beautiful at the same time. What are your thoughts on Jesus and his story? What evidence do we have to support the whole thing? Were the disciples a bunch of dopes? Is the Bible true?

That brings up another thing. Some parts in the Bible are a load of crap. Adam and Eve? WTF?!

I realize some of it is scientifically unexplanatory, and thats the beauty of it- but saying we have evil in the world because Adam and Eve ate an apple? I think thats just an overacive imagination.

Most of the bible doesn't make sense.

Like the book of Revelations. Makes no sense, but the second half is kinda interesting to read.:happysad:

Boycott

Soul Doubt
I think the best way I've heard it put, is that the bible is merely a book of virtues...

Jugular

volatile
Boycott said:
I think the best way I've heard it put, is that the bible is merely a book of virtues...
Yeah, I've heard that too- that it's just life lessons, etc.

But if it is, then why would it have Jesus in it leading people to think that he is real? The lesson from Jesus's story was selflessness, faith, so on.

So does my family.:happysad:

I believe some of it happened. But, for the most part, just a set of rules and guidelines.

Jung

???
Premium
The Bible is a good work of fiction, albeit fiction based on a limited amount of actual events, but beyond that it's all myth and dogma.

For instance, I don't doubt that there was a guy named Jesus alive at the time, and his role as a religious teacher is probably accurate, as are the different sects, tribes and cities that are outlined in the Bible. However, the rest of the book is nothing more than rhetoric. The stories contained in the Bible are simply meant to be used as parables – a tool for teaching religion to simpler people, via easy to understand stories.

Anyone who believes the bible to be 100% true is a complete idiot. Even most Christian fundamentalists acknowledge the presence of parables in the Bible.

Jugular

volatile
Point taken. What about God and heaven? I don't think anyone says those are just parables/crap like that.

Hater808

The hate still Shapes me
St.Anger said:
Point taken. What about God and heaven? I don't think anyone says those are just parables/crap like that.

I think people say that's just made up. My own beliefs aside, I can see both sides of the argument. People, who believe, need faith into the stories and the books to believe it. Those who don't, have more than perfectly good reason not to believe any of it to be true. As it is with any religion, hear it with a clear unbiased head and it sound like a load of shit. Then people’s opinions are formed from their beliefs, faith, social conditioning, life experiences, and many other personal influences. So seeing as how everyone took a bit of a different shit pie, it pointless to argue over whose tasted better/worse. Also, arguing the trurth of religion will never work because you are arguing heresay, interpretations if that, of what occured hundreds of years ago. Then send that through countless language translations. The moral here is take what you can get from it.

Woodreaux

Original Dicksman
My Jesus story

My armchair historian idea of Jesus is as follows:
I think the Hebrews were tired of being subjected by foreign powers (e.g.: Epyptians, Romans). They as Moses lead them to throw off the Egyptian yoke, I think they were hoping Jesus could rid them of the Romans. There is a gap in the gospel's account of his life, during his formative years. I believe during his teens and early twenty's he was either in Persia, India or maybe even China training with the Shaolin monks. There he learned fighting styles, Eastern Philosphy and Oriental Medicine among other things. Sometime around his late twenties or early thirties, he returned to Nazareth and started kicking Roman ass and raising an army for a rebellion. The apostles were most likely Jesus's greatest warriors. The miracles were exagerated accounts of Jesus using his advanced medical knowledge.
For several years, Jesus and his guerilla army went on a rampage around Jerusalem and the surrounding provences, preparing for open rebellion. Unfortunately for Jesus, the Romans were a very devious adversary. They planted the traitor Judas who sold Jesus out. They Caesar sent an entire legion to crush the insurrection. Jesus was captured, given a mock trial and executed. Because Jesus didn't succeed in becoming their messiah, most the Hebrews stayed with Judiasm as their religion.
The biblical account is much different. But then again, the bible is largely a product of Rome. (They call it the Roman Catholic Church for a reason). For many people unhappy with the Roman Empire, Jesus's revolt became a symbol of hope for one day they could be free of the Romans. Political dissidence now had a name: Christianity. The Romans didn't like this, so they fed these disenfranchised people to the lions. But as with other revolts, martyrs only fed the fire. The Roman Senate and Caesar weren't stupid, over time they hatched a plan to subvert the movement. They began by editting Jesus's biography. They replaced his defiant demonstrations with messages of conformity to their values. They substituted his speeches about patriotism with uncomprehensible random prose. And finally, they shifted the blame for his death to local Hebrew puppet government. In doing so, all the anti-Roman themes were replaced with values friendly to their way of life. So, within a couple of centuries of his death, they turned their ancient enemy into their own state religion. That's why the religion named after him took off on a continent he had never been to, whereas it had much less appeal in the place he was born and died.
How you like them apples?

RetArt

A Rampant Vagitarian
Yes, this has also been widely discussed before. In a fringe thread "creation of man" http://forums.wtf.com/showthread.php?t=38262

I believe Jesys was alive, and that he was a great philosopher. All ancient texts are exaggerated in some form. They become much interesting that way.. (eg. the trojan war) And also easier to remember.. Also there is the Alexander the Great- factor. He at some parts rewrote the bible to make a major religion. He also took many parts off (eg. the gnostic gospels found in the egyptian desert in 1945).

I think it is a book with folklores, myths, symbolisms, philosophy, and truths. It is a great book, and it has done it´s job greatly, as explaining the unexplainable (2000 years ago) but now I see it somewhat obsolete. People have the need to know. They want order in chaos, and bible fitted that spot better than good. It also boosted mans ego, as a alpha-wolf of animals.
Like any other theory, time has run over it. It happens all the time. This was just spread with such machinery, that it is hard for people to let go. As it would also mean losing the main motives, meaning of life in some way, and the basis of all beliefs.

only my thoughts though

Base

it's a motherfucker
I think that a man named Jesus did exist, but he wasn't the Son of God. I believe that he was a man with revolutionary ideas for his time. People then manipulated these IDEAS into faith and thus Christianity came about.
I think Jesus was a good normal man who just tried to help people.

But then again these are my thoughts. :happysad:

1ct-on!

Take the Bus , BITCH !!
i think the stuff what happened in the bible had happened truly ...

but with some other informations ...

where , the dude divided the sea for his people top walk through... pople this can happen , some scientists had found out that , well i don't know the exact location , but this can happen

where the sun stood still , this works either .!

Jesus was a man but i agree with base that hes was JUST a man not the son of god

JLXC

WTF's Official Conspiracy Fanatic
Premium
Since this is Fringe Theory.

What if Jesus was real, and did have special powers, not because he was the son of God, but because he was part alien? Seriously, a lot of the bible can be looked at as if they were refering to aliens, lots of things going on in the sky, lots of angels (read aliens). Maybe the aliens came to check us out, made a hybrid, and when the hybrid was trortured and killed they just bailed for a while.

Why not? It makes as much sense as the bible, and is problably statistically more probable. :)

Adam and Eve remind me of the question which came first the chicken or the egg. Something everyone asks but never has the answers to.

Yeah I believe the bible to be true, but I also think that without faith that it cannot be understood. Everyone claims to have the correct interpretation..a million different ideas, and since the Christian community and their representative theologans disagree on what means what it only spreads further confusion.

The bible became a collected book at a certain period in time because a group called the gnostics began to teach different messages..closely related on the surface, but completely different in the end result. So the "church" that was one before the completion of the book sent in people from each region to agree upon what teachings were to be in the bible.

Herein lies a problem for those who have doubts about where the book came from..and who wrote the book..and how do we know that if we believe in God that the hands of men did not interfer with the message..All of these things rely upon faith, but more importantly what the Holy Spirit is and how it works.

kindbud

Banned - What an Asshat!
you're all going to hell.

but is that so bad?

bible= good literature
just don't get carried away with it.

the story of other prophets are ignored(or not as recognized) and somehow 'hey-zeus' became a skinny white guy.

seems a carpenter from the westbank area would be a bit more stocky and non-white.

now, what about scientology?

don't mean to jack this thread, but that is one fucked up story.

if you have only heard about it through tom cruise, do a search and read up. it cracks me up.

they have a name for a galatic warlord that sent 'us' here to earth to solve over population a few billion years ago(long time ago). problem is that all these bad spirits live in all of us...yes, you too, so you have to pay to get this lil fuckers out. 'i promise, it'll make you feel better!'

in their church you take staring classes and pay to hear more of the story of the master plan...but not before you are ready. it could kill you if you are not ready. (i wasn't ready and i just got a stomache ache...was lucky...think it was from laughing so much)
and l ron hubbard made up all this shit while trippin' on some good drugs....and cashed in.

i guess the pope and his gang are not so different, they just had a big headstart and a base in reality.

fuckin sheep.

Two words numnuts: Sentence structure! Not even an ounce of what you said made any sense or had any meaning. You are a certified dumbass.:mfinger:

kindbud

Banned - What an Asshat!
Shaman Yoh said:
Two words numnuts: Sentence structure! Not even an ounce of what you said made any sense or had any meaning. You are a certified dumbass.:mfinger:
my nuts are very sensitive. you are so dumb.

text can not be measured with ounces. unless you print it out and weigh the pages, but only a small portion of the weight would be the ink of the text.
you are so dumb.

much meaning in there. it is written in code and it's all about you.

pole.

kindbud said:
my nuts are very sensitive. you are so dumb.

text can not be measured with ounces. unless you print it out and weigh the pages, but only a small portion of the weight would be the ink of the text.
you are so dumb.

much meaning in there. it is written in code and it's all about you.

pole.
Nah..as one learns in English class..when a person attempts a communication through writing the aim is to make sure the target audience can understand and process presented information. Otherwise one could loose the interest of the targeted audience, and fail to get the communication the attention it so deserves.

Captain 151

Seeped in a dry Merlot
junglizm said:
The Bible is a good work of fiction, albeit fiction based on a limited amount of actual events, but beyond that it's all myth and dogma.

For instance, I don't doubt that there was a guy named Jesus alive at the time, and his role as a religious teacher is probably accurate, as are the different sects, tribes and cities that are outlined in the Bible. However, the rest of the book is nothing more than rhetoric. The stories contained in the Bible are simply meant to be used as parables – a tool for teaching religion to simpler people, via easy to understand stories.

Anyone who believes the bible to be 100% true is a complete idiot. Even most Christian fundamentalists acknowledge the presence of parables in the Bible.
Well said, jung. I am a Deist, usually, but I've read the Bible. I believe the Old Testament exists as a moral code, a sort of ethical background to the birth of man. When it gets closer to literal intereperetion...people for instance who dont believe in evolution, thats when the Bible becomes a "kook book" as my dad (a converted Christian to athiest) would say.

As for the New Testament, truth probably lends more influence.. particularly the Gospels.