WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Offbeat Church Says Girl's Communion Not Valid

voiceofreason

Seeker of Truth
BRIELLE, N.J. - An 8-year-old girl who suffers from a rare digestive disorder and cannot eat wheat has had her first Holy Communion declared invalid because the wafer contained no wheat, violating Roman Catholic doctrine.

Now, Haley Waldman's mother is pushing the Diocese of Trenton and the Vatican to make an exception, saying the girl's condition should not exclude her from the sacrament, which commemorates the Last Supper of Jesus Christ before his crucifixion. The mother believes a rice Communion wafer would suffice.

"It's just not a viable option. How does it corrupt the tradition of the Last Supper? It's just rice versus wheat," said Elizabeth Pelly-Waldman.

Church doctrine holds that Communion wafers, like the bread served at the Last Supper, must have at least some unleavened wheat. Church leaders are reluctant to change anything about the sacrament.

"This is not an issue to be determined at the diocesan or parish level, but has already been decided for the Roman Catholic Church throughout the world by Vatican authority," Trenton Bishop John M. Smith said in a statement last week.

Haley was diagnosed with celiac sprue disease when she was 5. The disorder occurs in people with a genetic intolerance of gluten, a food protein contained in wheat and other grains.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Go Catholic Church, you beat down a little 8 year old girl with a disease, who "actually" wanted to be a part of your church, GOOD JOB!

Here's the thing, maybe the wafer is just a a SYMBOL, it really doesn't matter if it's a Necco Wafer...., fucking idiots...

Poppa Squat

Bad MamaJama
Maybe the wheat companies are in league with the church. Some sort of business arrangement like McDonald's and the Olympics.

dustinzgirl

Banned - What an Asshat!
Boy this makes me proud to be an unorthodox non practicing Catholic. :thumbsup: WTG Church!

Shurikane

Raging Hermaphrodite
I think we've just given bin Laden another reason to destroy the world... -_-

Descent

Hella Constipated
Wow...that's messed up.

I just wanted to take the time to say that organized religion is complete bullshit. It's practically a cult. I'm really sick of having Christianity control the western world. If we blended beliefs from all the religions, or did not use any religious beliefs to dictate what is right, we would be much better off.

A lack of diversity only hurts things. Organized religion is a prime example, because it never evolves, and just abides by tradition.

anti-movielife

self medicated
that whole thing is so ignorant it makes me sick. :mad: They wont let a sick little kid be a part of communion but they'll let their sick priests ass rape them....the church should burn..

Descent

Hella Constipated
anti-movielife said:
that whole thing is so ignorant it makes me sick. They wont let a sick little kid be a part of communion but they'll let their sick priests ass rape them....the church should burn..
Well, no shit. It's the Catholic Church, you were expecting something good out of them? Don't get your hopes up for any other religion either. They all abuse power like that.

anti-movielife

self medicated
jstager said:
They all abuse power like that.
Man i'm losing faith in the whole human race with shit like this...why do so few people believe in doing the right thing, ya know? The things that are truly important and matter in life are ignored...every person in this fuckin world is a selfish asshole...aaanyways i'll go back to thinking happy thots...bunnies and kittens keep me sane :rolleyes:

Black Flame

Mayhem on the Loose
i say it's for the better. that girl's gonna see at a young age what bullshit these people are and this religion is, and grow up to have a great mind rather than a mind that was forced upon her.
"freedom aint nothin if it aint free!" -janis joplin.

morelos

lexicon incognito
ever see those wal-mart commercials with the smiley face rolling back prices?

i can see a commercial now, with a smiley face wearing a cardinal's hat, rolling back calendar dates.

"the catholic church: bringing you the days of yesterday, NOW"

YUCK FOU!!!

Critical Update Notification Tool.
voiceofreason said:
BRIELLE, N.J. - An 8-year-old girl who suffers from a rare digestive disorder and cannot eat wheat has had her first Holy Communion declared invalid because the wafer contained no wheat, violating Roman Catholic doctrine.

Now, Haley Waldman's mother is pushing the Diocese of Trenton and the Vatican to make an exception, saying the girl's condition should not exclude her from the sacrament, which commemorates the Last Supper of Jesus Christ before his crucifixion. The mother believes a rice Communion wafer would suffice.

"It's just not a viable option. How does it corrupt the tradition of the Last Supper? It's just rice versus wheat," said Elizabeth Pelly-Waldman.

Church doctrine holds that Communion wafers, like the bread served at the Last Supper, must have at least some unleavened wheat. Church leaders are reluctant to change anything about the sacrament.

"This is not an issue to be determined at the diocesan or parish level, but has already been decided for the Roman Catholic Church throughout the world by Vatican authority," Trenton Bishop John M. Smith said in a statement last week.

Haley was diagnosed with celiac sprue disease when she was 5. The disorder occurs in people with a genetic intolerance of gluten, a food protein contained in wheat and other grains.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Go Catholic Church, you beat down a little 8 year old girl with a disease, who "actually" wanted to be a part of your church, GOOD JOB!

Here's the thing, maybe the wafer is just a a SYMBOL, it really doesn't matter if it's a Necco Wafer...., fucking idiots...
that is bullshit

R

RedOctober

Yawn...

I think there are some nasty intruders in the American catholic church, that make a mess of everything to criminalize catholics. :sword: :rolleyes: :bomb:

In my view as a catholic, the whole story is utter crap!
It must be an urban legend. ;)