WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines cigarrettes banned!!

monkkeebob

Flame Bait
FUCK YOU TO ALL THE PEOPLE WHO DECIDED THAT THEY WANTED TO FORCE MY FAVORITE RESTAURANTS TO GO NON-SMOKING JUST BECAUSE THEY COULDN'T AFFORD TO BUILD A WALL TO SEPARATE ME FROM YOU. I'm sorry but when the city government gets involved because some non-smokers are a bunch of bitches and complain too much, then fuck them. I mean seriously if you can't deal with a little smoke then go somehwere else and leave my goddamned little haven alone. What I'm talking about to those that have no idea is a law passed in my hometown in northeast indiana stating that all restaurants within the city limits must have some kind of barrier or separate room to separate the smoking sections from the non-smoking sections and if they don't then the entire restaurant has to be non-smoking. :sword: :mad:

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
but which is more of an infringement? you having to postpone getting cancer for 20 minutes or me having to breathe in the contents of your 'hobby'..
i smoked, i woke up.. i have bad lungs and a grandfather who never met me as he died of it..
smoking loses.
and if you want a truely free country i think you're out of luck, sorry..
proportional representation can't make everyone happy.. just the majority, and smokers are a minority.

kindbud

Banned - What an Asshat!
the smoking ban kicked-in here in austin and i love it. it is so crisp and clear in the clubs and while playing pool, my eyes dont burn. i almost miss it, but then, nah...i don't.

when you leave the club/bar/dive, the smokers are all outside like lepers...makes me laugh.

next time you go eat, i'll sit next to you and conduct a chemistry experiment and waft it your way. don't tell me i can't do my research next to you...puss.

Rhode Island passed a statewide smoking ban earlier this year. It's the best law ever. Fuck that wretched scent.

monkkeebob

Flame Bait
Okay, I'll give you the fact that there is no possible way we are going to attain a truly free country, and that smoking is bad for a person's health. It was not meant as a pro-cigarettes post, it was meant as a way of expressing my disproval of the way it was handled. I do not believe the government has a right to tell it's citizens how they should protect themselves, lead their lives, or for that matter run their businesses. In considering the matter at hand, if a small restaurant wants to continue having their same customers, both smokers and non-smokers they are forced to pay money to have a wall erected around the area where they will allow the smoking. If they cannot afford this, then they are forced to become a strictly non-smoking establishment, and thus, effectively alienating part of their customer base.

monkkeebob

Flame Bait
dude, conduct away with you chemical research, i'm not the one being a pussy here

kindbud

Banned - What an Asshat!
monkkeebob said:
dude, conduct away with you chemical research, i'm not the one being a pussy here
dude? we about to throw down?

if this was b&t i'd be going shift-lock-all caps on your ass.

ha

simmer down there, feller.

i do see your point and requiring the extra expense sucks for the businesses. maybe we shoud get the government to build glass enclosed structures for you smokers so we can watch you from the outside.

Jung

???
Premium
monkkeebob said:
Don't double post. Use the edit button if you have something to add to your previous post.

You might not be "being a pussy" but you're being pretty childish concerning other people's health. Nonsmokers should have just as much right to enjoy a dinner in a smoke free atmosphere as smokers should to smoke during dinner.

And for the record, I'm a smoker myself, but I respect other people's wishes if they don't want to inhale my smoke, and so should restaurant owners and city and state governments. This ban seems a hell of a lot more fair than banning smoking in restaurant outright. You're just whining because you didn't get your way, and you come off as being very childish. Life isn't fair, deal with it and grow up.

skully

GO BEARS!!!!
junglizm said:
Don't double post. Use the edit button if you have something to add to your previous post.

You might not be "being a pussy" but you're being pretty childish concerning other people's health. Nonsmokers should have just as much right to enjoy a dinner in a smoke free atmosphere as smokers should to smoke during dinner.

And for the record, I'm a smoker myself, but I respect other people's wishes if they don't want to inhale my smoke, and so should restaurant owners and city and state governments. This ban seems a hell of a lot more fair than banning smoking in restaurant outright. You're just whining because you didn't get your way, and you come off as being very childish. Life isn't fair, deal with it and grow up.

And......junglizm ends another discussion in 1 post.
I think cigarettes should be banned in public places when kids are present. It can influence kids towards smoking. I dont know about the baninng of smoking in bars, it seems unfair because drinking and smoking kind of seem like one.
But a rule is a rule.....its only better for the masses

BrIONwoshMunky

EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY!
Staff
From http://bmj.bmjjournals.com/cgi/cont...IRSTINDEX=0&sortspec=relevance&resourcetype=1

Which is basically the largest study on ETS or Environmental Tobacco Smoke in history.

Results For participants followed from 1960 until 1998 the age adjusted relative risk (95% confidence interval) for never smokers married to ever smokers compared with never smokers married to never smokers was 0.94 (0.85 to 1.05) for coronary heart disease, 0.75 (0.42 to 1.35) for lung cancer, and 1.27 (0.78 to 2.08) for chronic obstructive pulmonary disease among 9619 men, and 1.01 (0.94 to 1.08), 0.99 (0.72 to 1.37), and 1.13 (0.80 to 1.58), respectively, among 25 942 women. No significant associations were found for current or former exposure to environmental tobacco smoke before or after adjusting for seven confounders and before or after excluding participants with pre-existing disease. No significant associations were found during the shorter follow up periods of 1960-5, 1966-72, 1973-85, and 1973-98.
Yep, lets ban it because it's dangerous. :rolleyes:

Jiraffe

Domesticated Savage
BrIONwoshMunky said:
Yep, lets ban it because it's dangerous. :rolleyes:
I agree with your eyeroll.

To all the smoke-nazis!
Ever watch Bullshit? If not then maybe photographic evidence of experts saying the secondhand smoke thing is hogwash will help you come to terms. It presented enough evidence to me, a non-smoker, that second hand smoke is not a health risk. Clicky link and find out for yourself! After all the surgeon general's report was thrown out by the supreme court...

Piro

From appaled to applauding, controversy.
No smoking in restaurants I agree with, even though I am a smoker; I don't like eating in a smokey atmosphere. But pubs on the otherhand, well a non-smoking and smoking area should be provided if the premises is large enough. I like a rolley with my beer. :happysad:

I avoid smoking near no-smokers when possible, but when I'm sat down and they come sit near me, that would be taking the piss if they had the audacity to ask me to stop or move. If they stay away from me, I'll stay away from them...it's usually the older generation that ignore this courtesy, fuck them in that case. Mind, I've never been asked to move/stop before, "mostly" because I don't give them reason to complain.

Base

it's a motherfucker
I'm not a particular fan of smoking. I know that back in South Africa it is banned nation wide, in any public area. You're only allowed to smoke on your own private property. That law has been in effect for quite a few years now. Glad to see that others are following. :D

Jiraffe said:
I agree with your eyeroll.

To all the smoke-nazis!
Ever watch Bullshit? If not then maybe photographic evidence of experts saying the secondhand smoke thing is hogwash will help you come to terms. It presented enough evidence to me, a non-smoker, that second hand smoke is not a health risk. Clicky link and find out for yourself! After all the surgeon general's report was thrown out by the supreme court...
I didn't click on the link, but I don't need to to call bullshit on secondhand smoke not being dangerous. The only thing we're not getting is the direct tar and nicotine. Smoke is still bad for our lungs. It's a form of pollution, and pollution is bad for breathing. My lungs have been fucked up because of being around smokers for so long. I'm in support of the new law. Personally, I don't see why any business wouldn't just build the wall, even if they had to make the entire resteraunt non-smoking until they could afford to build the wall. I hate the smell of cigarette smoke, especially when I'm eating. Most "non-smoking" sections are right next to the smoking sections, and the smoking sections are not separated, so non-smokers still get whiffs of smoke during their meal. It's not fair to us to have to be around a habit that we chose not to pick up just because those that did have to smoke while they eat.

vIoLeNcE0969

Sir.vIoLeNcE
second hand smoke is worse than smoking the damn cigarette. becouse you are smoking thru a filter we are breathing ur breath and all of the smoke.

what about the people who have asthma? the cant go to a smoking resturant without the risk of getting a asthma atack http://www.gasp.org/tribune2ndhand.html

I couldn't give a fuck less if second hand smoke is actually dangerous. It smells like shit and I just don't want it on me.

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
i find the secondhand smoke argument redundant, smokers breathe it and the filtered smoke so if anything it's affecting them just as much if not more.. i think it's just a crappy thing to do in certain situations.. like at a concert i would expect to come home smelling of cheap cigarettes and covered in other people's dandruff, after a meal i don't..
smokers should be forced to wear astronaut helmets with smoke piped in.. keep it to yourself buddy.. :D

Boycott

Soul Doubt
At a restaurant, you're there to TASTE the food... I don't think many people go to restaurants because the food tastes like cigarette butts.

It smells like shit, and if you're going to shit up my dinner with your cigarettes, you'd better be paying.

kindbud

Banned - What an Asshat!
you can find a researchers that will suppot both sides, but breathing in something that is burning is not healthy.

the level of risk is not an issue with me since i do other things that incur greater risks. as many have stated before, it's just a smell i'd rather not have around; dangerous or not.

kinda like some guy farting near your table...not really a health risk, but i can do without the aroma.

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
kindbud said:
kinda like some guy farting near your table...not really a health risk, but i can do without the aroma.
agreed, i enjoy drinking alcohol, but i don't expect anyone to enjoy the smell of my piss..
astronaut helmets.. :thumbsup: