WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Citizen's Arrest!

Icarus

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Okay. On other forums I have noticed a "blackbox" feature. That is, users can click a button in a member's profile, that adds one to a tally. This user has been blackboxed. Once 50 people blackbox the same user, he or she is banned.

So essentially, if people are annoying or horrible enough, they can be gradually banned. Of course people will blackbox troll and try to ban everyone. This can be fixed by implementing the Arcade Post kind of limit, and one or two blackboxes have no consequence.

I think this could mix up WTF.com a bit.

/me watches as the idea gets implemented, and then he is the first one blackbox banned.

YUCK FOU!!!

Critical Update Notification Tool.
no, id like to see it get interesting, make it 2,500 it might create a hitler style community, ruled by those with posts. it could create interesting characters

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
rep makes more sense than posts.. with posts you'd just get 'arcade posters' but worse, people saying "yeah" to everything..

but even better than rep.. mods.. like we have.. i like seeing someone get banned quickly, not over the course of 50 blackballs..

Icarus

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Of course people can be regular-banned... but some people don't exactly break rules, but that doesn't mean they aren't abusing their posting privileges.

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
Icarus said:
Of course people can be regular-banned... but some people don't exactly break rules, but that doesn't mean they aren't abusing their posting privileges.
can you explain that for me pls..

Icarus

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Explain what?

This isn't intended to replace the regular mod-instituted bans.

It is merely to punish those who act like idiots. On forums where I saw it, users were notified when they got blackboxed, so if you were getting a lot of blackboxes, the idea was that you could try to alter your behavior before it was too late.

I'm sure you can think of a few people who make the forum experience way less enjoyable, without breaking rules (like me).

Icarus said:
Explain what?

This isn't intended to replace the regular mod-instituted bans.

It is merely to punish those who act like idiots. On forums where I saw it, users were notified when they got blackboxed, so if you were getting a lot of blackboxes, the idea was that you could try to alter your behavior before it was too late.

I'm sure you can think of a few people who make the forum experience way less enjoyable, without breaking rules (like me).
It could also cause some good posters to get banned, simply because they are not liked. Besides that, half the fun of a site like this is the diversity in posters.

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
citizen's arrest is one thing.. and i think we have that with rep and 'report a bad post'.. especially the latter..
but citizen judge and jury, here?
wow.. most of us are drunk..

Icarus

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Taylor_Blade said:
It could also cause some good posters to get banned, simply because they are not liked.
Well, good posters are generally liked, and 50 blackboxes is a pretty high number.

void said:
citizen's arrest is one thing.. and i think we have that with rep and 'report a bad post'.. especially the latter..
but citizen judge and jury, here?
wow.. most of us are drunk..
Rep and 'report post' only go so far, like I said, this can happen to somebody who doesn't break rules, reporting posts is generally for rule infractions.

Slacker

Postaholic
It could work if a person was only allowed to give one check a day. And they can only give a check to the same person every 5 or 10 checks. Plus the person would have to have over 100 posts to give a check, so a noobs won't be going around giving checks to people they don't even know. I think it should be reseted over a period of time. Like maybe a month or 2. It would work like rep.

Icarus

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Linksy said:
It could work if a person was only allowed to give one check a day. And they can only give a check to the same person every 5 or 10 checks. Plus the person would have to have over 100 posts to give a check, so a noobs won't be going around giving checks to people they don't even know. I think it should be reseted over a period of time. Like maybe a month or 2. It would work like rep.
Well, on forums I used, people could only check a person once. There were no repeated checks. And I was thinking 200 posts, like the arcade, although I don't know if that would be possible.

As to resetting, I don't know about that.

Slacker

Postaholic
Icarus said:
Well, on forums I used, people could only check a person once. There were no repeated checks. And I was thinking 200 posts, like the arcade, although I don't know if that would be possible.

As to resetting, I don't know about that.
Well I mean like If a person would be on for say like 2-3 years and add up to 50 checks and they get banned or something then that wouldn't be fare.

Piro

From appaled to applauding, controversy.
Perhaps only a temp ban (2 day or something) could come from the black boxing system. Each time you get a ban from black boxing the sentence increases plus the amount of back box required for the next ban decreases.

If the poster is a complete asshat you've still got the mod initiated ban.

Hope that made sense.

Jung

???
Premium
That kind of meta-moderation never worked on Slashdot, with a mostly adult user base, I seriously doubt it will work well here, with a more varied age group.(read: more young members.)