WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines Clubbing Seals?

Infidel

The Militia
Last Updated: Tuesday, 29 March, 2005, 21:05 GMT - BBC News

Canada says the seal population has exploded

Fishermen in Canada have begun what is expected to be one of the biggest seal-hunting seasons in decades.

The hunters returned to the ice floes after the government gave the go-ahead for more than 300,000 seals to be killed this year.

Authorities say the hunt is now more humane and that the rising seal population needs to be controlled.

As in previous years, animal rights groups are campaigning against the hunt, which they say is cruel.

The activists also say Canada is trying to appease fishing communities for political reasons.

The fishermen blame the seals for the devastation of Canada's fish stocks and have pressed for a renewed culling.

The two-month hunt takes place on ice floes off the Atlantic coast, where the seals give birth.

Earlier this month, the Department of Fisheries and Oceans said in a statement that Canada's seal population was healthy and abundant.

"The harp seal herd - the most important seal herd for this industry - is estimated at around five million animals, nearly the highest level ever recorded, and almost triple what it was in the 1970s."

Boycott

Large-scale hunting will be allowed to continue until the number falls to under four million.

One official told the AFP news agency: "We have to do our job responsibly. We are looking at the middle ground, taking into account conservation and the economic needs of the region."

But anti-hunt activists, who say many animals are skinned alive and die in agony, say they will press ahead with a boycott of Canadian seafood.

"I think that [the Canadian government] are feeling the heat... they can see the really serious implication of going ahead with the hunt this year," said Pat Ragan of the Humane Society of the United States.

"We're going to be encouraging consumers to enter into dialogue with their grocery stores and their restaurants and say, 'Please don't serve Canadian seafood,' or, 'I won't buy Canadian seafood until this hunt is over'," she told Reuters news agency.

The seal hunt in Newfoundland and Labrador went into decline some 25 years ago, after images of hunters clubbing infant seals horrified TV viewers across the world.

-------------------------------------------

Comments?

bigck3000

The Iron Lung
Seal boots *****....its the new gator.

Thats really fucked up....Why dont they just....give them to blind people or something....Blind-seeing-eye-seal. It'll work.

Twatbat

Easy Piece Of Ass
total fucking pussies, clubbing seals what the fuck is the point in that!

Shaggy2Dope94

My axe is my buddy
Twatbat said:
total fucking pussies, clubbing seals what the fuck is the point in that!
obviously some one is having a gfood time w/ it :thumbsup:

MaxPower

You're my number two
Staff
I'd like to see how those cocksucx0rs would fare against my Louisville slugger. I'll even let them keep their seal club, if they can manage to pry it from their ass when I'm done with them. :mad:

I thought this thread was about seals, and their leisure time. :(

Woodreaux

Original Dicksman
WTF is wrong with Canada's humane society? Whenever the nutre population explodes around New Orleans, they declare open season on the little bastards and tell everyone who has a piece to goto town blasting them. Seal population explosions can "naturally" screw up an eco-system just as fast as industrial polution. BTW, what's the best way to eat seals? BBQ, Grilled, Baked, Fried?

bigck3000

The Iron Lung
Grilled with a little caucasian pate' on the side.....Our over-population is much more harmful than theirs will ever be...but its certainly not open season on humans....why not?

bigck3000 said:

Thats really fucked up....Why dont they just....give them to blind people or something....Blind-seeing-eye-seal. It'll work.
:rotflmao:

MaxPower said:
I'd like to see how those cocksucx0rs would fare against my Louisville slugger. I'll even let them keep their seal club, if they can manage to pry it from their ass when I'm done with them. :mad:
There, Now I have $50 on Max to kick their nancy little canuck asses.

bigck3000

The Iron Lung
I.....i think you quoted the wrong the post....are you high?

BrIONwoshMunky

EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY!
Staff
Woodreaux said:
WTF is wrong with Canada's humane society? Whenever the nutre population explodes around New Orleans, they declare open season on the little bastards and tell everyone who has a piece to goto town blasting them. Seal population explosions can "naturally" screw up an eco-system just as fast as industrial polution. BTW, what's the best way to eat seals? BBQ, Grilled, Baked, Fried?
Nutria aren't native, and seals are... at least that's the rehtoric you'd likely hear from them.

Boycott

Soul Doubt
They're humans. They get sad about extinctions for about 5 minutes then go after another species...

Brain Spout

Wizard No More
bigck3000 said:
I.....i think you quoted the wrong the post....are you high?
the original poster could of just edited his post afterward which would of caused that or he is high. id agree this is somehwat of a good idea. if you live in NJ, pennsylvania etc. youll know that we have a deer problem: the problem is there are so many fucking dear that they like to live on highways and run into cars. not exactly, but there are a lot of them. in canada there are so many seals it sounds like that the amount of fish is actually going drastically down. they dont want to kill all the seals they are just controlling the population for the good of mankind and them. you see when nothing stands in the way in the way of a species to kill it besides old age the species rapidbly and exponentially grows in size. for an example look at... um.. oh yeh look at humans. anyway eventually said species uses all resources like food and some starve to death and its sad. we dont want this to happen to seals which is why we go out and kill them. i mean we really do need those fish to keep our rapidbly increasing population fed.

gurlgonewild

Was machen Sie?
:distraught:

how can one chose? so hard, but the way i look at it is this...
if the seal population has been booming and overcrowding is occurring then that means their natural predators (whales, sharks, polar bears, etc) are declining so rapidly they cannot keep the natural balance that exists in the animal world. so, more importantly i'd want to save those creatures more than the seals.

seals do eat a lot of fish but so do a lot of other water dwellers and w/o enough food to eat they will not procreate in amass. so i wonder if the seal hunt isn't a scape goat? like a cover up to blame helpless seals so that the fishing and gaming industries cash in on raising the price of fish?

Brain Spout

Wizard No More
im not saying this as an insult, but if you look at it in a cynical way that could be the true intent. i havent reviewed any studies or etc. about the fish or the seal population so im relying on little information.

gurlgonewild

Was machen Sie?
not insulted, notwithstanding i posed two poignant remarks along with my cynicism.

Infidel

The Militia
Whether non-Native or Native species, it shouldnt matter, assuming that any population explosion or too big a species population in any given habitat would stress it and possibly cause damage.

I have read something about putting some of the seal's predators back into the environment. That would work I guess, but with few of these animals, (assumption since only a lack of animals would allow the seal population to get to big) that program would be costly and time consuming in getting their numbers up and them reintroduced. Until then, another solution is needed.

tzedek said:

Oh, that is massively disturbing....

And incidentally, My apologies for the misquote; It was a MASSIVE hangover talking.

Oh wait, we don't apologize in the forum.... what I meant to say was "Fuck you, you hippie butt rash!"