WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

cmd Autocomlete

OK, here's the deal. My old comp used to have the ability to autocomplete things when I typed them into the cmd.exe window. For example, I would type in:

C:\P

and then CTRL+I and it would change it to this:

C:\Paint Shop Pro

and then I push CTRL+I again and I get:

C:\Program Files

or I don't even have to start out with a letter. I can type in:

C:\

and then press CTRL+I and get:

C:\3ds Max

For some reason it isn't like this on my new comp. I've screwed around with all of the settings I could find and nothing seems to work. Anyone know wtf is wrong with it?

Jung

???
Premium
Try using TAB, that's what I've always used.

If not, then open regedit and go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\CommandProcessor. Locate the CompletionChar key and edit its value to 9 in hex.

junglizm said:
Try using TAB, that's what I've always used.

If not, then open regedit and go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\CommandProcessor. Locate the CompletionChar key and edit its value to 9 in hex.
Thanks a lot. It wasn't tab, and it wasn't in current user, but LOCAL_MACHINE. But without that I wouldn't have gotten there. Works wonderfully. Thanks.

Jung

???
Premium
Cool, now that you have it set up you can probably use TAB. It's a lot faster than CTRL+I. I dont' know why that key wouldn't have been in Current_User though. Not that it matters.