WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

College in America... Anyone want to help out here? :P

Boycott

Soul Doubt
Alright - I'm from Canada (As probably 99% of you already know) and after this year I will only need 1 more semester until I graduate... This leaves half a year (school year) for travel (which I plan on saving up money in the summer and the semester of school I have) and go somewhere in Europe for a bit...

Now, I'm speculating colleges, and I know someone in Bakersfield California that I wouldn't mind going to college with, and just talking about crap - I mean, none of my current friends will be going to college the same time I am, as they're either not going to school, not enough credits, or got kicked out due to drugs (I know, that fits under not going, but my best friend got kicked out for it...)

This person said they'd come here if they could find the right courses, and have already applied to a few around where they live... Fine, I know what goes on when you send in an application to a Canadian college, as I learnt it in Careers class.

What I didn't learn is how to apply to a college that isn't in Canada :p

Anyone want to explain the procedure about applying to a foreign college?

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
Boycott said:
Alright - I'm from Canada (As probably 99% of you already know) and after this year I will only need 1 more semester until I graduate... This leaves half a year (school year) for travel (which I plan on saving up money in the summer and the semester of school I have) and go somewhere in Europe for a bit...

Now, I'm speculating colleges, and I know someone in Bakersfield California that I wouldn't mind going to college with, and just talking about crap - I mean, none of my current friends will be going to college the same time I am, as they're either not going to school, not enough credits, or got kicked out due to drugs (I know, that fits under not going, but my best friend got kicked out for it...)

This person said they'd come here if they could find the right courses, and have already applied to a few around where they live... Fine, I know what goes on when you send in an application to a Canadian college, as I learnt it in Careers class.

What I didn't learn is how to apply to a college that isn't in Canada :p

Anyone want to explain the procedure about applying to a foreign college?

Should be pretty straight forward. Find their website, and look up their admitions page. It should all be spelled out there. Alternatively you can call and talk to the admissions department to find out what their requirements are.

Most will require an application, a couple of letters of recomendation and a writing sample in the form of an essay.

Boycott

Soul Doubt
Alright... Sounds fair enough, thanks Skip :p
Essays are easy...

Erm - SATs, could you explain what these are? From what I gather they're a test you have to take to determine your GAP (GPA?... General Average?) to get into post-secondary in America... Canada doesn't have these... Are they universal, or specific to the college you choose...

SATs don't determine your GPA--your school does that. SATs are just there for colleges to examine. Btw, SAT doesn't stand for anything anymore.

Boycott

Soul Doubt
dull_bullet said:
SATs don't determine your GPA--your school does that. SATs are just there for colleges to examine. Btw, SAT doesn't stand for anything anymore.

Oh? This just confused me :p lol...

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
Boycott said:
Oh? This just confused me :p lol...
Most schools will take either the SAT or the ACT. Both are standardized tests designed to "test" your schoolastic aptitude.

Coming from Canada those requirements may be waved if you meet other criteria... that's just a guess. It would be done on a school to school basis.

Boycott

Soul Doubt
UberSkippy said:
Most schools will take either the SAT or the ACT. Both are standardized tests designed to "test" your schoolastic aptitude.

Coming from Canada those requirements may be waved if you meet other criteria... that's just a guess. It would be done on a school to school basis.
Alright... I think I might ask my counsellor at school, too... Which I didn't think of before I posted this, but it's still good to get a little bit out of you guys as well since my counsellor is often times confusing as hell (Think of a hyper person that just drank 4 coffees and 17 redbulls, that hasn't had a heart attack)...

Janglenut

Particinator
dull_bullet said:

As said by someone, an application is put forth, letters of recommendation, and usually an essay.

However, college's really look at your GPA (Grade Point Average) in High School. Your GPA is essentially calculated on a 4.0 system. An A being worth 4, then the all the grades working down from that. Then, colleges take a huge look at your ACT scores (at least in midwest) and SAT's. (So I hear in the West, however, not required in Midwest colleges)

The acceptance standards depend on the school. My school calculates your gpa and sats together, ex. high sats and semi-low grades will probably get you in, but I am pretty sure the application filling period is over for the California State Universities and the Universities of California (im CSUF), but thats for fall 06

Their are no essays for Cal States, only UCs. I only know about california schools though, so I think it varies