WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Computer Help Room. Poll

Should we have a "computer help" forum?


  • Total voters
    32

shep

Local alcoholic
1,853
8
38
#1
It seem's we have a number of computer smart folk's in here.Maybe a "computer help" forum would be a good idea.I have noticed a number of computer help question's scattered among many of the other forums.Just my 2 cents
 

NaughtyGirl21

Formally Cuddles
2,197
0
0
#2
Yes, I just posted one in life sucks.

here it is.

I am having a problem with my computer in my room. When I got that computer it had windows 98. I installed xp and it was working really well for like the last 3 or 4 months then it was starting to mess up. I went under system tools to restore it and it would not let me. So I decided I was going to uninstall windows xp and start over. Well that hard drive lost files and everytime I go to turn the computer on it will not load any windows. I got this old hard drive that I put in that has windows 95 on it but it will not install my xp disc.

I just wanted to know if anyone know how to completely wipe out a hard drive to where theres nothing on it as if you baught it from the store and started new?

I just hope someone can help me out with this problem because I really don't want to go spend over a$100 on a brand new hard drive.
 
996
13
182
#3
if you have your windows install disk it will do that for you

shep: i'll suggest it to jason if he doesn't see this thread
 

YUCK FOU!!!

Critical Update Notification Tool.
6,588
628
337
#4
shep said:
It seem's we have a number of computer smart folk's in here.Maybe a "computer help" forum would be a good idea.I have noticed a number of computer help question's scattered among many of the other forums.Just my 2 cents
id love to help out.thats my job direction but thinking of what others would say.......if you want a tech forum try endmedia i guess ( i wouldnt mind tho)
 

Zickddot

Banned - What an Asshat!
1,433
0
0
#5
well when xp wasnt working origionally, did u change anything?
 

MaxPower

You're my number two
Staff
16,850
3,349
487
#6
CuddleMuffin said:
Yes, I just posted one in life sucks.

here it is.

I am having a problem with my computer in my room. When I got that computer it had windows 98. I installed xp and it was working really well for like the last 3 or 4 months then it was starting to mess up. I went under system tools to restore it and it would not let me. So I decided I was going to uninstall windows xp and start over. Well that hard drive lost files and everytime I go to turn the computer on it will not load any windows. I got this old hard drive that I put in that has windows 95 on it but it will not install my xp disc.

I just wanted to know if anyone know how to completely wipe out a hard drive to where theres nothing on it as if you baught it from the store and started new?

I just hope someone can help me out with this problem because I really don't want to go spend over a$100 on a brand new hard drive.
What am I made of wood?
 

shep

Local alcoholic
1,853
8
38
#7
gumercules said:
if you have your windows install disk it will do that for you

shep: i'll suggest it to jason if he doesn't see this thread

Well it doesn't have to be all help but it could be about computers in general.I myself would feel more comfortable getting advice from peep's i somewhat know than some techdick from elsewhere.
 

NaughtyGirl21

Formally Cuddles
2,197
0
0
#10
ok, does any one know how you set up a bios or how you get to it to set it up so I can install this new damn hard drive?
 

Jung

???
Premium
13,979
1,397
487
#11
the answer was already posted, in the other thread you asked this same question in. look when it boots and it should say hit ___ to enter setup. usually DEL or F2 etc, if it doens't say then rtfm. once you get into bios set the cdrom as the first boot device.

example: (yours will likely be different)



atleast i think that's what you meant. you shouldn't have to set up the bios just to install the hard drive. if it's not recognizing the drive make sure the jumpers are set correctly(RTFM) and you have it on the right ide cable. if you bought the drive new there are installation instructions, you'd do well to read them. maybe you can be a little more specific.
 

Broken

Member smoked too much weed!
3,891
0
0
#12
shep said:
It seem's we have a number of computer smart folk's in here.Maybe a "computer help" forum would be a good idea.I have noticed a number of computer help question's scattered among many of the other forums.Just my 2 cents
Jason brought this up once.. Lets start a poll.. Sorry Shep I am going to Jack your thread.;)

Ahh suck it up for the team..
 

Jung

???
Premium
13,979
1,397
487
#13
voted yes, because i don't mind helping. although there are 235075434534 million other computer help forums. i don't mind helping as long as you have the common sense to use google first.
 

MaxPower

You're my number two
Staff
16,850
3,349
487
#14
I voted yes as well because if people are going to ask for help it may as well be there. But, I come here to geht away form that shyt. Though I can't resist helping.
I'm cursed.
 

Jason

Voorhees a jolly good fellow!
Founder
6,743
2,620
387
#15
20 votes gets it. ;)
 
996
13
182
#16
i'd say yes, except there's a bazillion other forums out there for computer help, including some very friendly ones. and we might risk losing our laserlike focus on being belligerent and disorderly here

so i voted no
 

Icarus

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
6,775
248
118
#17
Wow, that's an awesome argument, Gumercules... Seriously. I was going to vote yes, but now I'm paralyzed (seeing all sides of the issue).
 

BRiT

CRaZY
Founder
11,657
2,401
487
#18
gumercules said:
i'd say yes, except there's a bazillion other forums out there for computer help, including some very friendly ones. and we might risk losing our laserlike focus on being belligerent and disorderly here

so i voted no
I'm a lil unsure which way to go. I know a few of the other sites some of us are associated with have very exceptional tech-support forums. I don't want to take away from them. However, at the same time, I doubt some of the WTF users would venture over to them. I do want to support the WTF users.
 

YUCK FOU!!!

Critical Update Notification Tool.
6,588
628
337
#19
THAT'D be my kinda forum id be hanging there instead of b&t so cmon
 

YUCK FOU!!!

Critical Update Notification Tool.
6,588
628
337
#20
gumercules said:
i'd say yes, except there's a bazillion other forums out there for computer help, including some very friendly ones. and we might risk losing our laserlike focus on being belligerent and disorderly here

so i voted no
no we wont cmon weve got all the life sucks forums and shit like that.i think it might attract the nerd population ( max power can talk to them) haha

im going to get hurt now