WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

computer question

Status
Not open for further replies.

tzedek

Original Member
im am going to get a new case becuase 1. I hate my case and it hates me. Its ugly as hell and too damn small. 2. I want to sell my computer and i want to get more money for it. OK so here is my question. How hard is it to swap everything from my shitty case to a new ATX case or whatever. Im not a noob when it comes to this stuff i install cd roms ram hard drives and a new fam in my comp. I also have cleaned the heat sink for the processor off a few times. But would it be too much for me to do by myself or is it a simple thing to do? thanks

Fourples

Tenderony
Just wait for a while.

I'll scan an article from a magazine I have. It'll help you.

morelos

lexicon incognito
zedek - it's not so much hard as you just want to worry about consistency and compatibility. is your case already ATX form factor? if not, your mobo may not fit in an ATX case, and the power supply connection may not work.

in that case you'd want to buy a good AT case. but i doubt that IS the case. when you move parts, it's fairly easy. most stuff can't be plugged in wrong anymore, and almost nothing can be plugged into the wrong place (all the different cables are all different sizes, making it pretty straightforward).

really the only thing is remember each drive needs power and data connections, and that your floppy drive is the only thing that can easily have its bus cable plugged in upside down (resulting in constant-on floppy light when you power the machine up; easy fix).

try to put your expansion cards back in in the same order in the new case, because some motherboards are picky about what onboard items share resources with slots and some things just don't want to share system resources. so if it works now, remember (or write down) which card goes in which slot. i find the easiest way to do that is to use a sharpie and put the slot number on the top part of the expansion card anchor rail before i remove it. mine are all numbered; i practice what i preach.

anyway, just take your time, make sure standoffs are in the right places on the back of the case, and screw the mobo down; you'll do fine.

~ dan ~

morelos

lexicon incognito
oh, and if it IS an AT-style case, your motherboard power connector will come off in two five-wire pieces. make sure when you reinstall it that ALL BLACK WIRES ARE TOGETHER ON THE INSIDE. if you reverse this it's very possible you'll blow the mobo and/or cpu.

Jigg007

Flame Bait
Everybody always comment on the ATs, with the motherboard power being reveresed and being blow'ed up. But all the motherboards I had the AT connector was keyed. Also, Would retail computers/motherboards be compatable in an aftermarket case? I was always too lazy to check.

meh_it_all

WTF.com Sexy Pimp-ette.
This is over two years old.

Please try to look at the date of posts before replying, I'll let it slip this once, but FYI in future.

Status
Not open for further replies.