WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Computer shutdown problems

swizeguy

How dare you!?
Hey i figured i shoot this problem out to any of you that think you might know of a solution.
I upgraded my computer to windows xp and ever sence i did it hasnt been recignized as a atx. It will not go into stand by.
But thats not the main problem i dont really care about that. What the main thing is, is when i go to shut down the computer. It gets to the windows shutdown screen and it freezes. It didnt do that for the first couple shut downs but sence it wasnt thinking it was a atx i would just get the screen saying it is now safe to shut down your computer. But now it just freezes...
Any ideas?

swizeguy

How dare you!?
thanks ill take a look....

Naa thats not it.. it freezes up pretty bad i cant even move the cursor.

CopyLifted

Funnier than a 5th grader
It could be a software issue (or hardware). Here is an idea. Just before you shut down, open up your task manager and shut down a proccess and see what happens. and repeat if neccessary lol. Proccess of elimination if you will. Atleast you will get an idea of where the culprit is.

Since nobody here seems to know the answer, or just hasn't seen it yet, I'm just throwing out some advice on how you might find the problem. I'm one of those people that I can't diagnose a problem through explination. I'm a hands-on type of guy.

swizeguy

How dare you!?
thanks ill give it a try. and i know what you mean by the hands on thing. i need to see it in order to fix it but with this one i just didnt have a clue. but thanks ill give it a try

Descent

Hella Constipated
I don't really have enough info to be sure of this, but it sounds like the ACPI HAL is fucked. You may want to try reinstalling, or flashing your BIOS.