WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Computer Upgrade.

Since my current setup sucks I have decided to upgrade a few parts in. Right now my budget is $300, I'm looking at getting a Abit Radeon X700Pro for a video card, any other suggestions there are more than welcome. Heres my question though: What motherboard should I get? I need a decent one with a LGA 775 Socket, and atleast one PCIe x16 slot. I also need sugestions on a new case, and a psu. All that for under $300.

Fire_ze_Missles

Martha Fuckin' Stewart
I LOVE my x700Pro. It is an excellent card that serves me quite well. However, mine is the ATi version, with 256mb of 256-bit GDDR3, which will give quite the boost. But, the only two cents I have is on the videocard; good choice!

Jung

???
Premium
This is the cheapest Socket T motherboard NewEgg has. ASRock is Asus's budget brand, but I have no experience with them. ymmv This looks like a pretty decent motherboard though.

Power supply.

What about an X800GT or 6600GT instead of a X700Pro? You could probably get a 128MB X800 or 256MB 6600GT for around the same price.

What about RAM?

Descent

Hella Constipated
Junglizm - Better deal to get the ThermalTake TR-2 430w. I run one, and it's more future-proof, with a 24-pin header, a PCI-E header and all that fancy shit.

Plus, unlike the one you picked out, it's compatible with his motherboard ;).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817153023

I'm with you on this for the motherboard, though, fully, 200%.

I owned an ASRock. It's crap. It developed a microcrack rondomly one day, and no power management functions worked. There it is, sitting in the fucking PC, not being touched for a month, and it drops a load in the toilet. In layman's terms, you would have to flip the PSU's power switch to power the system on/off, much like an old AT machine.

ASRock boards are designed and made by Asus' Hua-Ching Chinese subsidary and are highly overrated. They are made and designed in China, Asus' are made and designed in Taiwan. If you've ever held both side by side, it shows. The Asus' connectors, headers, and everything feel MUCH more sturdy.

Jung

???
Premium
Junglizm - Better deal to get the ThermalTake TR-2 430w.
Oops, it was late (or early depending on how you look at it) when I did that.

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
Descent said:
Why did you edit my post?
Because I made a snide and childish comment that didn't belong here about part of it and I appologize to you for making it and to Jung (or whomever) for the work they had to do to go edit your post and remove mine.

Jung

???
Premium
Descent said:
Why did you edit my post?
Because none of it was on topic, and I'm tired of seeing half page rants in every one of your replies. I trimmed it down to what would actually help Piro.

Descent

Hella Constipated
junglizm said:
Because none of it was on topic, and I'm tired of seeing half page rants in every one of your replies. I trimmed it down to what would actually help Piro.
Actually I was telling him about my experiences with Chaintech...Which have been nothing but positive.

Jung

???
Premium
I just call it how I see it, sorry if you don't agree.