WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Confuser stops while installing OS

CopyLifted

Funnier than a 5th grader
Ok guys, I am confused here. A co-worker gave me his computer so I could reformat it and reinstall XP home on it for him. He told me he was having a problem with some system files and just asked if I would just start from scratch.

Well, stupid me, I didn't even check to see what was going on with it. I just reformatted and tried to do a clean install of xp. It reformatted just fine and I started the install when the computer just stops at 58% of copying files to install xp. It appears to hang on copying nic1394.sys. That was in the lower right corner of the screen when it stopped.

I tried several times and same thing. Stops at 58% of copying files. So I tried to install 98 SE to see if that would install. Nope. That stopped too after preparing to install.

So yeah, I'm confused. Any ideas here guys. I thought I knew my way around a computer, but this has me stumped.

Hypertron

Asshole of the Year
sounds to me like a bad hard drive because if it won't even intall 98 but who knows i could be wrong, find a spare HD layin around and put it in then try again if it dosen't work then its either bad RAM of MB other than those i can't think of anything else it could be but it deffiently sounds like a hardware issue.

CopyLifted

Yes, it's got to be a hardware issue that's for sure.

I tried different ram from my computer and it still did the same thing.

I was also thinking it could be the hardrive, but I don't have a spare around to try. Actually, I think I do, but I can't find it. Hardrives are pretty cheap these days anyway, and he only has a 40 gig, so I guess it wouldn't kill me to pick one up.

I'm just getting ideas from all of you before I do that. Thanks for the response. :thumbsup:

breakology

Kiss my Converse
sounds like a unwritable sector on the drive. You could try doing a low-level format of the drive, and it may work for a while after that, probably only delay the inevitable if it works though.

CopyLifted

tzedek said:
is the cd scratched?
I thought that too, but when both xp and 98 does it at the beginning of copying files, I don't think it's a scratch.

Jung

???
Premium
Try running Spin Rite on the disk. Like break said though, it'll likely only delay the inevitable.

Hypertron

Asshole of the Year
junglizm said:
Try running Spin Rite on the disk. Like break said though, it'll likely only delay the inevitable.
hey that works...you could do that and when it breaks you can make the dude pay you to fix it.

Descent

Hella Constipated
That's horrible, Hypertron!

I fix all my friends machines free of charge, as well assess their upgrade paths so they can runs games well, too.

I get enjoyment out of helping people, and that is more than enough pay for me!

Hypertron

Asshole of the Year
jstager said:
That's horrible, Hypertron!

I fix all my friends machines free of charge, as well assess their upgrade paths so they can runs games well, too.

I get enjoyment out of helping people, and that is more than enough pay for me!
yeah say that when you are having to pay rent and buy food for two people...hell i charge my friends 50 bucks a pop and they pay it gladly because its better than 200-250 to get best buy or compusa to fix it.

Descent

Hella Constipated
I'll start charging when I have to pay rent, but for now, nah.