WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Consequence/Fate

bigck3000

The Iron Lung
I was thinking about my belief (or lack thereof) in Fate. Most people like to think that they are in control so they are opposed to the idea of Fate. Fate isnt necesarily a religious based idea...I know a lot of atheistic people who submit that "something" is actually directing all "energy" toward a certain end. My idea is, Fate is actually a confluence of the consequences of the choices that you've made during your life..more specifically the first choice you've made. It couldnt be dependent on your last choice, as that choice was dependent on the one before it and so on.

If you think about it....You decide to get on WTF (this is your very first choice) and happen upon a humorous story...you then tell this to someone else who suddenly sees your taste humor is similar and you go out with them and eventually get married and have kids and die of prostate/breast cancer. This is sort of a generalized illustration of this idea.

I think that your first choice essentially makes up who you will be and then everything after that is merely a consequence of the choice made before it.

If this is actually someone elses idea and you know whos....let me know because I want to read up on it and I cant exacty Google this type of shit.

Icarus

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
I am currently reading "The Great Conversation" (a philosophy textbook), which covers much of the famous philosophers, and their philosophies. If I see something like this, I'll let you know.

bigck3000

The Iron Lung
I'd be willing to bet that you didnt even read it.

Just leave the debating to the big boys and take your little B&T ass back to wherever it is they let "special" kids frolic and drool all the live long day.

tzedek

Original Member
bigck3000 said:
I'd be willing to bet that you didnt even read it.

Just leave the debating to the big boys and take your little B&T ass back to wherever it is they let "special" kids frolic and drool all the live long day.
that would be a good bet, and btw your flaming skills are superb. Are you still pussy hurt that everyone would rather see you banned than me?

bigck3000

The Iron Lung
"Everybody".....Are these your "homies"? Did you feel cool when it happened? Did you tell your mom that you were hanging out with your friends?

I'm done...if you're really all excited that someone acknowledges your existence...then make me a thread in B&T....if not...take your e-cool guy ass to another thread and spam there.

tzedek

Original Member
bigck3000 said:
"Everybody".....Are these your "homies"? Did you feel cool when it happened? Did you tell your mom that you were hanging out with your friends?

I'm done...if you're really all excited that someone acknowledges your existence...then make me a thread in B&T....if not...take your e-cool guy ass to another thread and spam there.
you lost. people on this site like me more than you. get over it. :thumbsup:

DIZNUTS

Ñúñ'§ þêG £ègGéÐ /\/\å±ëý
tzedek said:
you lost. people on this site like me more than you. get over it. :thumbsup:
i like you :drool:

Sektor

Particinator
Haha

Wow, this thread went to hell fast.

Fate is composed of the choices you make. Each set of choices you make is dependent on the choice you made before it. Your fate is dependent on what kind of choices you make. And, your choices aren't always good/bad. Sometimes, it's bad/worse or something like that.

That's how I see it, at least. Your first choice, either indirectly or directly, affects the set of choices you get afterwards.

Basically, I agree with what bigck said up there.

tzedek

Original Member
yeah sorry for shitting on your thread. :( i was just trying to be a wise- ass

Icarus

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Alright. I didn't have to read far, but I uncovered this in the first chapter:

Anaximander, a disciple of Thales (widely considered the father of philosophy), belived in "The One as the Boundless". I.E., he thought this:

1: Given any state of things X, it had a beginning.

2: To explain its beginning, we must suppose a prior state of things, W.

3: But W must have also had a beginning.

4: So we can suppose a still prior state, V.

5: Can this go on forever? No.

6: So there must be something that itself has no beginning.

7: We call this "the infinite", or "the boundless".

It is from this infinite that all things come.

Aristotle talking about Anaximander said:
Everything either is a beginning or has a beginning. But there is no beginning of the infinite; for if there were one, it would limit it. Moreover, since it is a beginning, it is unbegotten and indestructible... Hence, as we say, there is no source of this, but this appears to be the source of all the rest, and "encompasses all things" and "steers all things," as those assert who do not recognize other causes besides the infinite... And this, they say, is the divine; for it is "deathless" and "imperishable" as Anaximander puts it, and most of the physicists agree with him.
Basically, Anaximander beleives in something that is a beginning but does not have a beginning. It also has no end.

bigck3000

The Iron Lung
I'm a fuckiing genious ;) ....anyways What could be cooler than talking about this kind of shit for a "living".

Icarus

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
bigck3000 said:
I'm a fuckiing genious ;) ....anyways What could be cooler than talking about this kind of shit for a "living".
I know. I want to take philosophy courses in college... right now I'm reading my sister's philosophy book.