WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Could I make money off this invention?

Descent

Hella Constipated
I have no clue how to fucking do it, but it's a rather cool concept.

It's a cartridge/memory card game save device, because we all hate losing twenty hours of Zelda 64 gameplay due to a fucking lockup. It would also support screengrabs at full uncompressed quality with an optional pass-through cable (Intercompatible with consoles, no flavor needed for Sega/Nintendo/Sony captures, etc.)

The issue with cartridges is that they use NVRAM, not flash, to save data. If the battery is jolted, or if your cartridge is damaged, you can easily lose all your work. This has happened to me with every game I own.

It's like a ROM dumper, except it would not dump the roms, only the .BRM files that contain your saves.

It would hook up to your TV, and support all major consoles. You simply pop your cartridge or card in, and tell it to backup the file of your choice. It would have expandable flash memory via CompactFlash, and it could come stock with 32MB (More than acceptable for those old school 2K Genesis/SNES .BRM files).

In the event new games are released that would require updates, a USB hookup could be used for that as well as backing up your save files to the PC.

If your game crashes, you insert the cartridge or memory card and reinstall the data. It could be pre-programmed to accept the current library of 16-Bit systems, as well as the N64.

It would be rather inexpensive...A few cheap ass interface chips could get it to work great.

It would come in Sega, Nintendo, and Sony/M$ flavors.

They would support a broad range of systems, including:

Nintendo:

NES
SNES
GB/GBA/SP
N64
GC

Sega:

Master System

Game Gear
Saturn
Dreamcast
URANUS

Sony/M$:

PS1/2/3/XBox/360

Two/3 slots needed?

The thing could easily retail for $50, as much as a game. All it really needs is upgradeable firmware to support cart based games (They all address backups differently), and some cheap-ass bridge chips.

Any thoughts on improving this? I also have a DOS console idea that works similar to a Discover game console, except it comes with 512MB of flash memory, and would run the game off that.

tzedek

Original Member
how is that an invention? :confused:

breakology

Kiss my Converse
Is'nt that what the HDD in a X-Box is for?

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
NO you couldn't make money doing this.

Nobody cares about Sega games anymore (besides you) and likely nobody would pay for them.

That and your design is flawed. Neither Microsoft nor Sony have ever released an NVRAM (cartridge) based game console.

All modern games use some sort of static memory to save game progress. So you'd be stuck supporting game consoles that nobody else supports.

Why bother? Cartridge based games are only a few hours long for a reason.

And wait, aren't you some sort of "gaming purist" that would theoretically have a moral problem with this whole thing?

Oh yeah, wtf was the game shark for anyway?

UberSkippy said:
Cheating if memory serves me, or did I miss something?

Descent

Hella Constipated
Uber said:
NO you couldn't make money doing this.

Nobody cares about Sega games anymore (besides you) and likely nobody would pay for them.

That and your design is flawed. Neither Microsoft nor Sony have ever released an NVRAM (cartridge) based game console.

All modern games use some sort of static memory to save game progress. So you'd be stuck supporting game consoles that nobody else supports.

Why bother? Cartridge based games are only a few hours long for a reason.

And wait, aren't you some sort of "gaming purist" that would theoretically have a moral problem with this whole thing?

Did you even read my post? It's essentially an archival system.

Oh, and by the way...The older consoles would cost nothing to implement. In fact, it would be safe to say a microcontroller could download the data via hardware emulation for certain I/O features.

As to me being a "gaming purist?"

I've lost the following save files:

Zelda 64 (2)
Diddy Kong Racing (1)
Super Mario Kart (2)
Zelda: A Link to the Past (1)
Zelda: Link's Awakening (3)
Sonic 3 (6th time yesterday)
Knuckles' Chaotix (2)

Oh, and there are probobly an assload more I forgot. Only two of those are Sega games. And don't get me started on Genesis NVRAM reliability, it's about on par with an Apple III.

Uber said:
How does $5 a pop at FuncoLand sound? Speaking of which, I got a copy of Outrun 2019 there for $6. It's worth $60-100, it's uber-rare, and kicks the shit out of F-Zero, my peers have confirmed this.

Uber said:
When did I ever say that?

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
Descent said:
Did you even read my post? It's essentially an archival system.

Oh, and by the way...The older consoles would cost nothing to implement. In fact, it would be safe to say a microcontroller could download the data via hardware emulation for certain I/O features.
You're the one that estimated the cost at $50 genius. Not me.

Descent said:
As to me being a "gaming purist?"

I've lost the following save files:
A bunch of old ass games
The fuck does that have to do with you being a purist? Let's try answering the question istead of dodging it m'kay?

Descent said:
Oh, and there are probobly an assload more I forgot. Only two of those are Sega games. And don't get me started on Genesis NVRAM reliability, it's about on par with an Apple III.
You're the one that started on it. I never mentioned the Crapisis' NVRAM stability. Once again, you're the only one that cares.

Descent said:
How does $5 a pop at FuncoLand sound? Speaking of which, I got a copy of Outrun 2019 there for $6. It's worth $60-100, it's uber-rare, and kicks the shit out of F-Zero, my peers have confirmed this.
It's only worth $60 if you can get someone to pay that much for it. Here it is at ebay for $6 There's 9 active auctions there right now. 9 auctions for a 15+ year old game? Guess it aint that rare after all.

Descent said:
When did I ever say that?
In reference to the MS and Sony NVRAM comment I made earlier, you implied it by saying you're invention would support them as well. Forgot you said that? Go back and read your own post.

LiberatioN

Trance Addict
I think instead of making an archive system for any particular system, you could have a central external harddrive that has different adapters for every system. As stated, no one is gonna go seek out new equipment for old consoles...you wouldnt make it past the production state of this invention. However, if you made it completely versatile and continued to release new adapters for future gaming consoles, you'd have a seller. What you need to do is research the hard drive industry and see how you could engineer a prototype that could support all platforms for less than your typical harddrive. Capacity is also a major issue. You want to make sure that each of the units you sell has more than enough memory allocation than your typical entry-level harddrive. Do these things, and you'd probably make quite a bit of money. My suggestion is get the idea patented and then show it to a company like MadCatz or smaller console accessory corporation.

DIZNUTS

Ñúñ'§ þêG £ègGéÐ /\/\å±ëý
umm since when did B&T become the computer chamber?

Descent

Hella Constipated
LiberatioN said:
I think instead of making an archive system for any particular system, you could have a central external harddrive that has different adapters for every system. As stated, no one is gonna go seek out new equipment for old consoles...you wouldnt make it past the production state of this invention. However, if you made it completely versatile and continued to release new adapters for future gaming consoles, you'd have a seller. What you need to do is research the hard drive industry and see how you could engineer a prototype that could support all platforms for less than your typical harddrive. Capacity is also a major issue. You want to make sure that each of the units you sell has more than enough memory allocation than your typical entry-level harddrive. Do these things, and you'd probably make quite a bit of money. My suggestion is get the idea patented and then show it to a company like MadCatz or smaller console accessory corporation.
Not a bad idea! The issue you would have would be pinouts, etc. but that's easily fixed via a universal port, because as we all know there probobly will not be another cartridge based system.

DIZNUTS said:
umm since when did B&T become the computer chamber?
Ever since Uberskippy skims over my posts and flames :rolleyes:.

Case in point: If you make it for one company's consoles, you better fucking make it for all of them, because there will be a backlash.

The concept is simple, yet he's too big of a dumbass to realize it's simplicity. I mean, the Sega unit only has four slots, the Sony/M$ three, and the Nintendo six. It's not that hard for him to comprehend, it's just that when he sees my posts he goes "OMG SEGA FAG DESCENT!!!11!" and flames me no matter what my content is, in a typical Idaho redneck style. He views retro gamers as black people or Jews where he comes from, so I'm lynchable material, and so is Jason (He has an AMAZING collection!).

If nobody buys old games, why does GameStop sell them? Consoles too! I mean shit, eB Games put fucking "TAKE ME!" post it notes on a TurboGrafx-16 and a Sega 32X some dude dropped off. My buddy scored the 32X, and we still haven't tested it. Some other fucker made off with the TurboGrafx, GOD I want one of those :mad:. I fucking love Alien Crush to death...best pinball game ever.

GAMING ACCORDING TO SKIPPY: Graphics make a game, not gaempleY! Y? I'm immersed. LOL <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 DOOM 3.

(Ya may not think that, but when I read your posts I think of the retarded kids in my town who actually throw away, not sell, their old consoles when the new ones come because "They're old." Well, so is the Mona Lisa.)

Descent

Hella Constipated
FORUM TAG!111one!

Requesting a move to the Computing Chamber.

why in the hell are yall arguing over this dumb shit. first of all the new systems that are coming out have built in memory devices so thats already half the profit that you could make from the damn thing. and then since there are few of those that play those older systems these days, (no offense to you guys of course) it would mean that you would more than likely end up spending more on creating your product then you would be selling it. so its a lose lose situation.

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
Descent said:
Ever since Uberskippy skims over my posts and flames :rolleyes:.

The concept is simple, yet he's too big of a dumbass to realize it's simplicity. I mean, the Sega unit only has four slots, the Sony/M$ three, and the Nintendo six. It's not that hard for him to comprehend, it's just that when he sees my posts he goes "OMG SEGA FAG DESCENT!!!11!" and flames me no matter what my content is, in a typical Idaho redneck style. He views retro gamers as black people or Jews where he comes from, so I'm lynchable material, and so is Jason (He has an AMAZING collection!).
I never said you were a jew or a black man. You appear to be overly sensitive on that score. I never said you were a FAG either. I will admit to being awfully tired of your ceaseless fanboy posts but I've never bashed retro gamers. (I did once bash the Sega but that was because it was an overpriced, underperforming pile.)

I told you your idea was stupid. You claimed some game was worth $60. I found 9 auctions on Ebay for that same game for less than $6. You claimed support for Sony and Microsoft systems (which already do what you're talking about ANYWAY) even though you were talking about support for the cartridge based systems.

The concept is assinine and has already been done.

Descent said:
If nobody buys old games, why does GameStop sell them? Consoles too! I mean shit, eB Games put fucking "TAKE ME!" post it notes on a TurboGrafx-16 and a Sega 32X some dude dropped off. My buddy scored the 32X, and we still haven't tested it. Some other fucker made off with the TurboGrafx, GOD I want one of those :mad:. I fucking love Alien Crush to death...best pinball game ever.

GAMING ACCORDING TO SKIPPY: Graphics make a game, not gaempleY! Y? I'm immersed. LOL <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 DOOM 3.

(Ya may not think that, but when I read your posts I think of the retarded kids in my town who actually throw away, not sell, their old consoles when the new ones come because "They're old." Well, so is the Mona Lisa.)
I'll pay you 5$ to go find where I stated that the graphics make it better. Better yet, I'll pay you 5$ to go back and find out where I said the old consoles had bad game play as compared to the new consoles.

So tell me Descent, where did I make any form of racial epithets directed towards ANYONE in this or any other thread? (More specifically you) Where did I say that the old consoles had crappy game play? Or do you feel the need to put those words in my mouth for pointing out the idiocy of your idea?

Wait, didn't I once offer to help you out with your heatsink issues because I had the ability to help you out when you needed it? Nahhhh... I must not have done that... because apparently you're a member of a minority or something and I'm apparently Adolf Hitler's offspring.