WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines Court OKs Dog Sniff During Traffic Stop

Jung

???
Premium
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...tus_drug_dogs_5
39 minutes ago

WASHINGTON - The Supreme Court ruled Monday that police can have dogs check out motorists' vehicles for drugs even if officers have no particular reason to suspect illegal activity.

The 6-2 opinion, written by Justice John Paul Stevens (news - web sites), stipulates police dogs may sniff only the outside of a car after a motorist is lawfully stopped for a traffic violation, such as speeding or failing to stop at a stop sign.

But privacy rights advocates said the ruling would lead to far more traffic stops as a way to find drugs. They also warned that the decision could open the door to more expansive searches, from sniffs inside the vehicle to checks of cars parked along sidewalks and pedestrians on the street.

Before Monday's ruling, the Supreme Court had authorized drug dogs primarily to sniff luggage at airports.
More freedoms and rights out the window. Awesome! I already had too many to begin with.

Woodreaux

Original Dicksman
What's next? Authorization for full body cavity searches for any law enforcment official?

_Kitana_

Angel of Death
The 6-2 opinion, written by Justice John Paul Stevens (news - web sites), stipulates police dogs may sniff only the outside of a car after a motorist is lawfully stopped for a traffic violation, such as speeding or failing to stop at a stop sign.
On the outside of cars... I don't see anything wrong with it?

gurlgonewild

Was machen Sie?
_Kitana_ said:
On the outside of cars... I don't see anything wrong with it?
dogs outside a car can smell drugs IN the car, the next step is to search the car for the drugs. most of the time you aren't allowed to search a vehicle unless you can justify it...like seeing a bag of weed in plain sight, or a vial of crack, or if the person is high, etc.

ridiculous invasion of privacy, which there is no more of. soon you won't be allowed to scratch your ass if in publik. they're probably trying to catch traffickers and dealers cause i cannot imagine wasting all that time and money trying to find a small quantity of drugs.:fsmile:

_Kitana_

Angel of Death
gurlgonewild said:
dogs outside a car can smell drugs IN the car, the next step is to search the car for the drugs. most of the time you aren't allowed to search a vehicle unless you can justify it...like seeing a bag of weed in plain sight, or a vial of crack, or if the person is high, etc.

ridiculous invasion of privacy, which there is no more of. soon you won't be allowed to scratch your ass if in publik. they're probably trying to catch traffickers and dealers cause i cannot imagine wasting all that time and money trying to find a small quantity of drugs.:fsmile:
Well last time i checked drugs were illegal.

So eh? Guess this gathers around don't do the shit if you don't want to take the risk.

Jung

???
Premium
That's just silly Kit. You can't invade people's privacy on the off chance that they might be breaking the law. Traffic stops are supposed to be for just that; traffic violations. The extent of police vigilance shouldn't escalate to sniffing for drugs with out due cause.

Sure it may seem cut and dry, and like drug users/dealers are the only ones to fear. But you can't take away rights just because "innocent people should have no reason to worry."

This is in the same vein as the Patriot act. :thumbsdn:

_Kitana_

Angel of Death
junglizm said:
That's just dilly Kit. You can't invade people's privacy on the off chance that they might be breaking the law. Traffic stops are supposed to be for just that; traffic violations. The extent of police vigilance shouldn't escalate to sniffing for drugs with out due cause.
They let their dog out, you already broke the law. Dog notices a strange smell. I mean they are not letting the dog inside the car, they are not searching though all your private things unless the dog smells something. The driver of that car does not own the ground that the dog is walking on and if sniffing around it, the dog notices something that is warrents a reson to invistgate.

Jung

???
Premium
Ok, that's fine, but traffic violation
drug violation. You're assuming the driver is guilty of a criminal offense, simply for being stopped for a traffic offense. Traffic violations aren't even criminal offenses, yet they're automatically being assumed to be criminals? That doesn't make much sense. It doesn't seem very constitutional either, then again, what is these days?

_Kitana_

Angel of Death
junglizm said:
Ok, that's fine, but traffic violation
drug violation. You're assuming the driver is guilty of a criminal offense, simply for being stopped for a traffic offense. Traffic violations aren't even criminal offenses, yet they're automatically being assumed to be criminals? That doesn't make much sense. It doesn't seem very constitutional either, then again, what is these days?
They aren't being assumed the cop isn't saying alright you pot smoking asshole, your under arrest. He simple getting out while allowing his dog on the outside of their car. Don't think its violating the constitution.

I suppose your against check points?

RageAgainst

Chaotic Neutral
Just move to Canada, a place where holding 14 grams of weed will soon no longer be a criminal offense, where beer is way better, where murders occur once a day only and it's never you; a place where the party voting for the patriot act would never get reelected in a 100years, and most of all; a place that the rest of the world actually like and respect.

_Kitana_

Angel of Death
Rage against said:
Just move to Canada, a place where holding 14 grams of weed will soon no longer be a criminal offense, where beer is way better, where murders occur three times a day only and it's never you; a place where the party voting for the patriot act would never get reelected in a 100years, and most of all; a place that the rest of the world actually like and respect.
*giggles*

No Most of the world just laughs at canada. Your just to drunk and stoned to realize it.

RageAgainst

Chaotic Neutral
_Kitana_ said:
*giggles*

No Most of the world just laughs with canada. Your just to drunk and stoned to realize it.
Ok well, we don't have hijacks but we have an international just for laughs festival. I have to agree, we're kinda funny. But I think you could also say we love to play hockey and chill with our pet beavers. Mine is called melvin, he bites.

Last terrorist attack on Canadian soil : 1970
Method : cheap bomb
Victims : No deaths
Reason : Local beef

Compare with your country thanks. I think the difference between the two will mainly be the number of attacks, the methods, the number of victims and the reason. You know why people don't drop planes in our buildings? Cause they laugh at us instead. yay.

BrIONwoshMunky

EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY!
Staff
Is forgetting to pay for gas a criminal offense? I would assume it is... I forgot to pay for gas, 3 million thoughts going through my mind, and a really sweet Mustang Cobra kinda lulled me into la la land... my buddy went in bought a drink, and off we drove, headed up to college. We get stopped in the next town, "Hands out the window, with your left hand open the door and step out! Place your hands on your head and walk backwards towards the cruiser!" Ten minutes later while I and my buddy are standing there in handcuffs, the K-9 unit arrives and proceeds to search my car. The don't find anything, the cop blieves me and I go back to pay for the gas, and then head up to school. It seemed wierd that the cop would call for a K-9 unit, place me in cuffs, point a gun at me all to just tell me I forgot to pay for gas. :rolleyes:

DanGeo23

Resident Conservative
full story
In a 6-2 decision, the court sided with Illinois police who stopped Roy Caballes in 1998 along Interstate 80 in LaSalle County for driving 6 miles over the 65 mph speed limit. Although Caballes lawfully produced his driver's license, troopers brought over a drug dog after Caballes seemed nervous. Asked if he would consent to a search of his car, he said "No." The State Police drug interdiction team makes frequent arrests on I-80 for drugs.

A team member pulled over Caballes, 38, and noticed a Nevada license plate. Another member of the team drove up with Krott the drug dog and walked him around Caballes' car. The dog reacted, and police searched the car and found $250,000 worth of marijuana.

RageAgainst

Chaotic Neutral
brainwashmonkey said:
Is forgetting to pay for gas a criminal offense? I would assume it is... I forgot to pay for gas, 3 million thoughts going through my mind, and a really sweet Mustang Cobra kinda lulled me into la la land... my buddy went in bought a drink, and off we drove, headed up to college. We get stopped in the next town, "Hands out the window, with your left hand open the door and step out! Place your hands on your head and walk backwards towards the cruiser!" Ten minutes later while I and my buddy are standing there in handcuffs, the K-9 unit arrives and proceeds to search my car. The don't find anything, the cop blieves me and I go back to pay for the gas, and then head up to school. It seemed wierd that the cop would call for a K-9 unit, place me in cuffs, point a gun at me all to just tell me I forgot to pay for gas. :rolleyes:
pointing a gun eh..that's so stupid...I saw a video on ebaumsworld in wich a cop(female) was pointing a gun at a guy lying on his stomach, I guess safety was off and she accidently shot. She missed him, luckily.

BrIONwoshMunky

EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY!
Staff
Rage against said:
pointing a gun eh..that's so stupid...I saw a video on ebaumsworld in wich a cop(female) was pointing a gun at a guy lying on his stomach, I guess safety was off and she accidently shot. She missed him, luckily.
There were two "arresting officers" if you will, one for me and one for my buddy. My buddy's officer actually said and I quote, "Sorry for putting you in cuffs and stuff, but we really don't want to have to shoot anyone." Just a couple of local doughnut jockeys on a sugar rush is what I figure.

gurlgonewild

Was machen Sie?
:confused: now i know why the majority didn't bother to protest the Patriot Act and its predecessor...its because, "if you are not breaking the law, you shouldn't have to worry about it." i never understood why so many still support these laws. but thanks to Kit i do now, not to say i agree.

there is one simple reason why an ordinary, law abiding citizen should be wary of a gov'ts actions that shifts an unequal amount of power into their hands, and that is...abuse. where someone can take advantage of the system, they will. we have a bad reputation of going on witch hunts in this country. and in the end, the people who become targets are the poor (who cannot afford a defense), immigrants, criminals (even if rehabilitated and successfully re-entered society), etc instead of "real" criminals.

what's so aggravating about society, i don't know if its just ours (USA), is the apathy...until it happens to them! not saying everyone, but most, will go along with anything so long as it doesn't effect me.

ChilianFuckFace

Banned - What an Asshat!
_Kitana_ said:
No Most of the world just laughs at canada.
How do you know most of the world laughs at Canada? What the fuck do you know about the rest of the world? Have you ever even visited any other places in the world? If yes, where?

The rest of the world would love to move to Canada. Only if they had better weather. You don't know shit about what the rest of the world thinks.

In the other hand I have been in a handful of countries and believe me people would rather move to Canada. My father was an immigrant to this Country and this was his second choice. His first choice was Canada!

BTW: People laugh at the USA. Look, we re-elected an Bush. What do you think the World is thinking?

DanGeo23

Resident Conservative
I guess people woulda rather seen the arrest/conviction get overturned... the officers get placed on "leave"... an apology from the city for violating his civil rights... and since the dope was siezed illegally... well we should give it back... and pay the man intrest on the money he woulda made selling the drugs... things are clearer now...

MaxPower

You're my number two
Staff
Go back to sleep citizens, while we slowly whittle away you rights.