WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines Crazy anti-rape device

Jung

???
Premium
http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=1&click_id=125&art_id=vn20050607063033640C157944
A rape victim once wished for teeth "where it mattered". Now a device has been designed to "bite" a rapist's penis. The patented device looks and is worn like a tampon, but it is hollow and attaches itself with tiny hooks to a man's penis during penetration.

"We have to do something to protect ourselves. While this will not prevent rape it will assist in identifying attackers and securing convictions," claims Sonette Ehlers, inventor of the device.

Not everyone, however, is convinced of its usefulness.

Lisa Vetten, of the Centre for the Study of Violence and Reconciliation (CSVR) says: "It is like we are going back to the days where women were forced to wear chastity belts. It is a terrifying thought that women are being made to adapt to rape by wearing these devices.

"We should rather focus our energy on changing men's mindsets and behaviour towards women."

Ehlers, of Kleinmond, who has worked for the South African Institute for Medical Research, said she had been seeking a way to help women since meeting a rape survivor 20 years ago who commented that she wished she had teeth in her vagina.

"Over the past three years I have been working on this device. It is now completely safe and ready to be manufactured and distributed," she said.

It had been designed with engineers, gynaecologists, psychologists and urologists. It was "hygienic - no human hands will be involved in the manufacture".

In the event of rape, the device folds itself around the rapist's penis, attaching to the skin with microscopic hooks. It is only when the rapist withdraws that he will realise the device is clamped around his penis.

"Its design will also go a long way towards lowering HIV infection as semen is contained in the device ... as well as preventing sexually transmitted diseases and unwanted pregnancies," Ehlers says.

As it is impossible to remove the device from a penis without medical help, hospitals and clinics will be able to alert police when assistance is sought.

"This will rule out any possibility of the rapist's escaping arrest and speed up conviction."

If the rapist tries to remove the device, it will only embed itself further.

"He will have to be put under anaesthetic to have it removed. He will not be able to leave it as he will be unable to urinate."

A woman would have to wear the device every day.

"We never know when we might be raped. This device should become a part of every woman's daily routine, just like brushing her teeth."

Last year, there were 52 733 reported rapes. In a study, the Gender-Based Violence Programme at the CSVR analysed 162 rapes in Johannesburg's inner city and found that one in four had been a gang rape. The study found that 56 percent of the victims had been raped by two men and 23 percent by three.

Although Ehlers is optimistic that the device will go a long way towards reducing the high incidence of rape in this country, rape organisations are not so sure.

"Women would have to wear this every minute of their lives on the off-chance that they would be raped," Vetten says.

"I am concerned at how normal rape has become that we would even consider a device like this."

Chanaz Mitchell, spokesperson for the National Network on Violence against Women, says although it is a good idea for women to protect themselves, men should take responsibility for their actions.

"We still need to focus on men as perpetrators of this heinous crime."

Mitchell is also concerned that the device might lead to further violence against victims.

"Once the rapist realises this device is attached to him, he is more than likely to take his anger out on his victim."

Mbuyiselo Botha, spokesperson for the Men's Forum, said anything that could empower women should be welcomed.

"I would encourage my wife and two daughters to wear this device. It would send a signal to would-be rapists that they won't have it easy."

Ehlers intends launching the prototype next month.

"It will be available at supermarkets, chemists, anywhere where one would be able to buy tampons," she says.

The device is to cost R1 and also be available in bulk packs.
This is a pretty dumb idea; what happens when the woman forgets (honestly forgets) to remove this thing before sex? That's a disaster AND a lonely Saturday night just waiting to happen... Furthermore, will women actually wear this as a precautionary measure for something that's a pretty rare occurrence anyway? I mean this is like marketing bullet proof vests to the average citizen 'just in case.'

RetArt

A Rampant Vagitarian
These were very common in the 20th century.. Especially in the US.. There were all kinds of weird, bizarre and inhumane gadgets. There was a long hollow, but extremely small needel that would penetrate into the mans penis. about 10centimeters or so (bout 4 inches).. Then there was a gadget that had 5 razor blades, one on every five sides. These would slice the mans penis into an opened banana when entering female genitalia.
Sick world.
But I doubt that anyone would forget such thing into their reproductive organs, I understand these are quite uncomfortable.. A woman would slid this boobietrap in before going to work, and take it off before going to sleep..
Some side-effects were also reported... Irritation and infections were most common, as these were metallic; hard, cold, unsterile and... well they were metal.

Now forgive me, I must go puke. It hurts so bad to even think of these butchering devices..

tkme2thebedroom

standard people-hater
Yeah...I wanna like, clutch my crotch just reading that. Seriously, if girls can forget they're wearing a tampon, then what's to say in the heat of the moment their guy jumps the gun without giving her time to take that thing out? And the sheer mental picture of anything tooth-like in my vagina makes me wanna cringe and puke. Damn...if some guy did a girl in high school, could you imagine her reputation? "Don't do *insert name here, yes, I said name* Her pussy bites back!" Ew, erlack, and also thrice yuck.

RageAgainst

Chaotic Neutral
You guys have good points, but you forgot one.

When the rapist gets his dick bitten/chopped, what will he likely do? Go crazy and kill the girl. A rapist is likely to be someone with a huge violence potential. That would be actually dangerous for the girl because it would piss off the rapist to an extreme extent and he would probably kill her, am I right or what?

BklynCannonball

pffffffffffttttttttttt...
That is insane. The only thing that sucks is the mention that the rapist doesn't realize that it's clamped on until he pulls out. I'd want the thing to cut his dick in half.

Nice try but no dice. I can't imagine using it everyday as they recommend. It's really impractical. Wake up in the morning...Hmmm...better put this on, never know when you're gonna get raped.

Doesn't equate

And good point Rage...it'll only get him angrier but we can hope it's so painful and throws the guy off long enough that the woman could run away.

JLXC

WTF's Official Conspiracy Fanatic
Premium
If this became common it would only inspire rapists to use the ass and mouth more. Or to check with fingers before insertion. Also, I agree with the above folks. If the rapist gets one of these on his dick, he will most likely kill the woman. Wow some deterrant. I think training a woman to use a gun, and carry one, is much better.

Jung

???
Premium
The problem is, people try to come up with creative ways to solve problems, when simple common sense would do. Why do you need a torture device/chastity belt when simply thinking would suffice in 99% of situations.

Help prevent rape:

1. Walk in well lit areas after dark.
2. Be aware of your surroundings.
3. Don't go into 'shady' places after dark, especially not while wearing provocative clothing.
3. Invest the time in learning basic self defense.

Some things just shouldn't be 'solved' with technology.

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
junglizm said:
Help prevent rape:

3. Don't go into 'shady' places after dark, especially not while wearing provocative clothing.

Being that this is in South Africa (from what I understand) many of those options don't apply. In many third world countries, the preventative measures above aren't really options.

I'm not saying THIS is a good idea, just that in different parts of the world rape is more common.

_Kitana_

Angel of Death
RageAgainst said:

When the rapist gets his dick bitten/chopped, what will he likely do? Go crazy and kill the girl. A rapist is likely to be someone with a huge violence potential. That would be actually dangerous for the girl because it would piss off the rapist to an extreme extent and he would probably kill her, am I right or what?

Well considering a rapist is treated like a murder, 9 times out of 10, they kill you anyways. THats why it is imporant girls to know self-defense, take messures to protect yourself. Something has to be done, changing a guys mind set who going to rape a girl. First you have to put all men on the same level as a rapist and treat them all like they are going to rape.

Sigh...

Sadly this is something woman have to deal with..... We have to take messaures to keep ourselves safe. I don't seriously see how someone can forgot they have a tampoon on or this.....

not saying i am for it or against it. Just saying I am glad someone is looking at doing something to fight back when a girl loses the battle, this might even give her time to escape or fight.

junglizm said:
The problem is, people try to come up with creative ways to solve problems, when simple common sense would do. Why do you need a torture device/chastity belt when simply thinking would suffice in 99% of situations.

Help prevent rape:

So we should feel like a prisioner in our world because "few people can not controll themselves".

Common sensne is often times not enough.....

Jung

???
Premium
_Kitana_ said:
So we should feel like a prisioner in our world because "few people can not controll themselves".

Common sensne is often times not enough.....
Do you really feel like a prisoner? It's kind of what you HAVE to do these days... This 'genius' device obviously isn't a valid deterrent. Unless you have any better ideas, well, those are the best I've heard AND what's normally taught in rape prevention classes.

You can just say "Common sense is often times not enough" and not offer any alternatives. I'm not saying that rape doesn't happen, but it doesn't happen often enough to scare women into wearing crazy devices like this. I mean hell, people get shot every day, but you don't see people going to the grocery store in kevlars.

RageAgainst

Chaotic Neutral
_Kitana_ said:
Well considering a rapist is treated like a murder, 9 times out of 10, they kill you anyways.
1. Rape is not considered like murder
2. 9 times out of 10 the rapist murders his victim? No, I don't think so.

That device would just get the woman beat up HARD (harder) or killed.

_Kitana_

Angel of Death
junglizm said:
Do you really feel like a prisoner? It's kind of what you HAVE to do these days... This 'genius' device obviously isn't a valid deterrent. Unless you have any better ideas, well, those are the best I've heard AND what's normally taught in rape prevention classes.

You can just say "Common sense is often times not enough" and not offer any alternatives. I'm not saying that rape doesn't happen, but it doesn't happen often enough to scare women into wearing crazy devices like this. I mean hell, people get shot every day, but you don't see people going to the grocery store in kevlars.
rape happens a lot more than what you think it does. I am just saying common sense in some cases is not enough. Yeah i do feel like a prisoner everytime i think damn i wish i could run to the store and get icecream, but i can't cause it night time, i don't have a car and it wouldn't be safe.

Now not sayings guys don't have to worry either but chicks just have to worry a little bit more. BTW: Most rape victims are raped by someone they know. Only a sad 30% are raped by a stranger on the street....

offering something other than common sense, nope i can't... cause there is not much else. common sense take a self defence class and just be alart. is it 100% affective. HELL NO.

you are never safe, not in oyur house, not on the streets, not even in your car.

sad truth when u think of it

RageAgainst said:
1. Rape is not considered like murder
2. 9 times out of 10 the rapist murders his victim? No, I don't think so.

That device would just get the woman beat up HARD (harder) or killed.
Yes rapiest and kidnappers can and are tried the same as a murder. So they not only RAPE but ALSO murder...

How many self defense classes have you taken? How much have you researched this subject? DO you realize i have taken over 3 self defense classes, study this endlessly... continue to study it endlessly..

only 30% of the time are woman attacked and raped on the streets by a strangers of those 30% i believe it is somewhere around 5 or 10% that live...

the other 80% are raped by people they known and trusted... i don't remember the % that live.

obviously u never read my "please read this" thread in life sucks.

You have to fight back, thinking that after the rapist rape your he going to let you go will only get you killed.

This device would allow the woman a chance to fight back harder and possibly escape ... its a very sentive area down there.... as you know. think about getting kicked in the balls, now think about having metal hooks jabbed into your dick... see the picture....

However, i am not sure I 100% agree to going to such lengths, i wonder if woman could use it to lure or trap guys they are pissed at....

hmm

Brazen

BAD, BOLD, BRAZEN
RageAgainst said:

True, The rapiest would go insane.. Like rage said, making the rapiest even more mad and potenialy killing the inocent girl..

Insanitee

I know where you live!
Chicks should just carry guns, its easy to identify a rapist fucker if they have a hardon and a bullet through their head.

Descent

Hella Constipated
It's a game of action!
A crazy contraption!
The pain is lastin'...
It's COCK TRAP!

polaris_nine

Banned - What an Asshat!
So whats next, ass-clamps for men?

Jesus, these people are dumb. Its almost like saying, Well hey, men cant control themselves so just control them with your cooch-teeth. :rolleyes:

_Kitana_ said:
i am not sure I 100% agree to going to such lengths, i wonder if woman could use it to lure or trap guys they are pissed at....

hmm
I can definitely see this happening.

I am not one to piss people off, but when a guy breaks up with a girl after being sexually active, generally speaking (and this could just be where I live) they stay sexually active for a week or two after the official "break up".

I would think it would be a very harsh revenge that a LOT of pissed off girls would go for. :mad:

bombchu

b-o-n-e-r
If the rapist tries to remove the device, it will only embed itself further.

"He will have to be put under anaesthetic to have it removed. He will not be able to leave it as he will be unable to urinate."
Wow. That is just horrible. This is a terrible terrible thing.
I don't support rape, but I sure as fuck don't support this dick clamp.
I would support the cockpocket2000 if I were in jail and this thing was redesigned for the ass.

BklynCannonball

pffffffffffttttttttttt...
It's really silly to create something like this.

Self-defense classes. That's the best solution we have right now. There are many places that offer free or affordable self-defense courses for women.

If you know how to avoid and/or defend yourself in a situation, then you don't need a Penis Fly Trap