WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines Creationism

RageAgainst

Chaotic Neutral
wow, just.. WOW. I spoke to a creationist today at the store. He was fucking retarded. We were talking about religion and he told me the earth was made in seven days, 5000 years ago, and all that bullshit.. I told him, yeah uh what about dinosaur fossils? He replied, God put them there to test your faith. I didn't laugh in his face, just said "yeah ok.." but DAMN. It leaves me speechless. Any creationists in here? Anyway, here's a question: Is it politically correct to call creationists retards? Should they be allowed to vote? Should we gas them? just kidding. But holy shit, how can someone be THAT blinded by faith? Argh

tzedek

Original Member
hey, whatever floats your boat. its def. not for me, as i cannot believe in any of that BS, but to each his own i guess.

bigck3000

The Iron Lung
ok...I'm not going to say i'm for or against the idea before we discuss this.....What is your idea on how the universe was formed? "Big Bang"? Exploding star smacks a gaseous cloud causing our solar system? Our planet just happened to be the correct distance from the sun? Some single celled life form just happened to appear here and evolve into us? Sounds kinda far fetched right? Kinda like a big old man in the sky who created everything with a wave of his hand? The truth is, we can speculate all we want, on either side of the argument, but each version of creation requires HUGE leaps in "faith" or "trust", in either a supreme being or science. I am struggling with the idea of where it ALL came from...where did the elements and stars and all these things that we attribute to the "begining" of our universe, come from? Can you tell me with a straight face, that with all our science and reasoning the best explanation we can come up with is "They have always been here". Is that not a form of the "blind faith" that we ridicule "creationists" for having? Keep this one going, I wanna hear a retort

Maybe God did create the universe. Then the question is... Where did God come from?

I'm a creationist, Rage against and the problem arises when Christians mis-understand their faith. It is THEIR way or NO way. When it really is not about us but God, Jesus Christ.

If God created the universe in seven days if he created it in millions of years if he folded it up out of paper napkins, it doesn't really matter to me. The important part about it is God created this existence.

It is not how this all was created, but who it was that did the creating. When looked at it from this point of view it is very easy to find such bickering pointless. The difference is in if you believe in God as a supreme creator, or you don't. The methods or processes used by said creator are not of particular importance to us.

I hope this answers some of your questions.

MrNiceGuy. An honest enough question, and a very common and difficult one for apologists to answer. Because we view things so diffirently from the person asking in most cases.

It is along the same lines as this:
"If God can do anything, can he make a rock so large even He can not pick it up?"

We tend to force God into our view of humans. Humans have a mother and a father, they came from somewhere. They are limited b gravity, we can not fly. Out existance is defined by limits. Limits are how we know somthing is.

God does not have limits.

He is all, can do all, knows all and sees all. Only when we understand that while we are created in the likeness of God we are not the same as God. Even then our minds cannot fully grasp the difference. As I said, it is a difficult question to answer, but one that must be asked.

NOTE: If anyone has any other questions about Christianity feel free to e-mail me for a fairly prompt response.

RageAgainst

Chaotic Neutral
bigck3000 said:
ok...I'm not going to say i'm for or against the idea before we discuss this.....What is your idea on how the universe was formed? "Big Bang"? Exploding star smacks a gaseous cloud causing our solar system? Our planet just happened to be the correct distance from the sun? Some single celled life form just happened to appear here and evolve into us? Sounds kinda far fetched right? Kinda like a big old man in the sky who created everything with a wave of his hand? The truth is, we can speculate all we want, on either side of the argument, but each version of creation requires HUGE leaps in "faith" or "trust", in either a supreme being or science. I am struggling with the idea of where it ALL came from...where did the elements and stars and all these things that we attribute to the "begining" of our universe, come from? Can you tell me with a straight face, that with all our science and reasoning the best explanation we can come up with is "They have always been here". Is that not a form of the "blind faith" that we ridicule "creationists" for having? Keep this one going, I wanna hear a retort
Exactly, it's speculation. I can't tell you how the universe was "created" but I sure know the earth isn't 5000 years old, and it wasn't made in 7 days; it took billions of years for life to "evolve". the Big Bang theory doesn't even explain why it happened, it's just an attempt to explain how. It doesn't explain where the forces came from either (gravity, nuclear forces, electromagnetism, etc).. All the physics laws, all the elements, where the fuck are they from? Did God "program" all these laws, like he decided that the speed of light would be 3x10^8 meters per second? He said, E will be equal to mc2? Why the fuck not mc3? Everything wouldn't be the same? I don't know.. We will never have a proven answer to where shit is from, and I guess that's why some people believe in God and I respect that. But to think God made the earth in 7 days, I mean come on, that's just retarded.

DanGeo23

Resident Conservative
I cannot follow something that its basic rule is you have to believe... if you ask a question.. that one can't answer they resort to "well cause God said so"... "... God made it that way"... "you have to have faith"... something that has always been and always will.. is too much for me to fathom..

Agnostic :thumbsup:

ReiMeishin

Dreaming to live
I have no idea what to believe as to creation, it makes no sence. As for creationism, that is proposterous. We know that the planet is at least billions of years old, and evolution is just about completely accepted as fact.

breakology

Kiss my Converse
Rage against said:
Exactly, it's speculation. I can't tell you how the universe was "created" but I sure know the earth isn't 5000 years old, and it wasn't made in 7 days; it took billions of years for life to "evolve". the Big Bang theory doesn't even explain why it happened, it's just an attempt to explain how. It doesn't explain where the forces came from either (gravity, nuclear forces, electromagnetism, etc).. All the physics laws, all the elements, where the fuck are they from? Did God "program" all these laws, like he decided that the speed of light would be 3x10^8 meters per second? He said, E will be equal to mc2? Why the fuck not mc3? Everything wouldn't be the same? I don't know.. We will never have a proven answer to where shit is from, and I guess that's why some people believe in God and I respect that. But to think God made the earth in 7 days, I mean come on, that's just retarded.
I feel your pain, the army is full of creationist and "the bible is the absolute word of god" types. Just ask them about Exodus, then it suddenly turns into "thats the old testement" .... my reply "you just said the bible was the ABSOLUTE word of god" ... followed by chrstian fundamentalist telling me I am going to hell. much fun!

MaxPower

You're my number two
Staff
DanGeo23 said:
I cannot follow something that its basic rule is you have to believe... if you ask a question.. that one can't answer they resort to "well cause God said so"... "... God made it that way"... "you have to have faith"... something that has always been and always will.. is too much for me to fathom..

Agnostic :thumbsup:
It is very confuzzling. God created us to be beings of intellect, who's very nature is to question anything we consider to be a mystery. yet he expects us to take his existence and involvement in our lives as fact, without any proof.
We are expected to deny logic; logic that he created, and believe instead in words written long ago (By men).
There is a part of me that believes in some divine force, and another part of me that sees how illogical, and self contradicting the bible is.
If you look at God the way he is portrayed in the bible, he loves us, yet he's cruel and torturous. He taunts and teases us for the soul purpose of testing our faith. He is all knowing. He knows how we're going to turn out, yet lets us believe we have control over our own destiny.

When we go to war, both sides think God is on their side.

Sports and entertainment personalities always make a point of thanking God for their success, as if god cares about who wins the super bowl, and laid his hand of victory on Green Bay. Why is he bias? Both teams prayed for victory, yet he makes one win, and not the other.
Why when they lose do they say "we should have done this or that" and not "we lost because that's the way god wanted it"?

breakology

Kiss my Converse
MaxPower said:
If you look at God the way he is portrayed in the bible, he loves us, yet he's cruel and torturous. He taunts and teases us for the soul purpose of testing our faith. He is all knowing. He knows how we're going to turn out, yet lets us believe we have control over our own destiny.
That settles it, God is definitly a woman!

bigck3000

The Iron Lung
The idea behind God doesnt have to conform to our ideas of Incredible or Impossible because we have never experienced "Divinity" or whatever. I dont believe that God or Allah or whoever has any bearing on what happens now...You could be the greatest human being to walk the planet and you could walk outside after reading this and get hit by a bus, while a child rapist lives to be an old man. Things like that dont make sense to us because we want our "God" to be like our babysitter "Please God, dont let this happen" "Please God, Get me this or that". When I hear the argument that God doesnt exist with the rational of "If God is sooo great, why does he let babies die? Why did my grandmother have to die". The babies die because the mother did drugs. Your grandmother died because she was 92. There are cold realities to this world that cant be attributed to a God or a lack of a God. In eastern religion the idea behind prayer is much different....They thank "God" with their prayers...Here in the west we ask for things from our "God"...I think that is the problem. Its that we ask for things from "God", and when we dont get them then, he doesnt exist, because he didnt get me what I wanted. Sort of like a four year old child who "hates" her mother for not buying her a doll that she wanted. The bible was supposed to have been written by men, not God. It is supposed to be an interpretation of what they saw. I think too many people take the bible at face value. I believe it is a very figurative piece of literature and anyone who thinks that Six headed lions and Dragons are going to spring from the earth ought to be checked out. If it is all bullshit; Just man's attempt at trying to explain the inexplicable; It is, without a doubt, the most well organized hoax ever.
This forum thing sucks, I like to debate in real time...I usually win that way.

dustinzgirl

Banned - What an Asshat!
Rage against said:
wow, just.. WOW. I spoke to a creationist today at the store. He was fucking retarded. We were talking about religion and he told me the earth was made in seven days, 5000 years ago, and all that bullshit.. I told him, yeah uh what about dinosaur fossils? He replied, God put them there to test your faith. I didn't laugh in his face, just said "yeah ok.." but DAMN. It leaves me speechless. Any creationists in here? Anyway, here's a question: Is it politically correct to call creationists retards? Should they be allowed to vote? Should we gas them? just kidding. But holy shit, how can someone be THAT blinded by faith? Argh
That guy is a moron. Seriously. "A day in heaven is a thousand years on earth"
They could not contemplate thousands or millions of years in the ages that the bible was written, so they used days.

Im not a creationist.
I do agree with evolution.
But, if evolution is a spontaneous advancement, then didnt it have to start somewhere?

The age of the Earth has no bearing on if it was created by God or not. Just pointing that out as it has come up numerous times here.

morelos

lexicon incognito
my very religious, creationist friend believes it was a guided process of evolution and universal development much more so than a literal seven-day journey.

i think it is illogical for there to be a supreme being because it couldn't be a life form; one goal of every form of life is to procreate, be it by sexual copulation, asexual division, or sporic transmission. a lone 'god' makes no sense; thus, the only models that are even plausible at all in my book are polytheistic, and even those are only hanging by a thread.

my best guess, if there is a 'higher power,' is that a race of intangibles who control us decided they would rather be addressed as monolithic than as a group of people with individual strengths (how many times has a child used one parent against the other successfully?); they got sick of this challenge of co-authority between them and decided to choose humans to be prophets who would send us the new message that "there is one true god" (translation: "treat us like one person from now on or else; we're sick of your shit").

of course, i'm a strict atheist, so what do i know?

~ dan ~

Jung

???
Premium
I posted my comments on this topic in another thread , so I'll spare you the repeat. I too have an extremely religious friend, we've been friends for a number of years and often debate issues such as this. He is one of the few reasons that I haven't totally written off religion. I see the good it does in some peoples lives, I only wish more people shared his views. I think most christians don't fuly understand their religion. I think this link to be relevant to this topic, I also think more christians should read and heed this article's advice. http://www.lewrockwell.com/vance/vance22.html If only to learn how silly their pro-Bush views really are.

DanGeo23

Resident Conservative
I think I have shared these links in the past but here is a link to the religion I claim... UCTAA and a link to the 3 articles of faith... some interesting reading on that site...

supposedtabeme

The Skinny One
Woah hold your horses.

Evolutionism does not exclude creationism.

There is people that believe in both, that god (or wathever there is bigger blablabla) created the first warm and boily thing where the first cells came from.

So I believe calling ALL creationism retards is not the propper thing to do.

I believe there are things beyond our comprehention. How can we think of things beyond our world if we can't even understand everything in our own world? Blah, just be happy and live.

R

RedOctober

Well..

The problem is, many protestants don't understand what they read, because it was a translated version.

Americans only speak English.
And that is really a problem.

In the bible is a myth.
The same myth any people on earth uses to explain the simple things in life.

Comparing creationism and evolution is as ridiculous as comparing apples and bananas. It doesn't make sense.

Creationism is in my view ridiculous. So what?
The way how God or some dude might have created the universe is a typical human ego tripping question.
You must be totally nuts, to think our earth is important.

We're stardust.
Only some can grasp the principles of the birth of the universe.
It has something to do with physic laws.

There are more than enough fruitcakes speculating a lot of horsedung, but let me try it...

The relativity law of Einstein.

E=m*c^2

Energy is related to mass..
That's what the equation says.

Imagine there is only energy, and no mass..
Then there would be nothing.
Because energy can only excist, if there is also mass.

Well..
It is all told by the Monty Python team in
the Search for the Holy Grail movie...

God just pulled the pin out of a cosmic Holy Hand Granade.
And that was the Big Bang.

From that time on, God is resting on a sunny beach on the other side of the Universe, where he is contemplating about the mistake he made to create the human race ;)

Descent

Hella Constipated
Religion = Bullshit.

I've gone into this a million times, and I'm not doing it again. Just search for my other threads.