WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Credit Card Processing....?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I started my own business. Or rather started selling dildos yadda yadda.

Anyway....I can process credit cards through PR, however...I can only use that money to buy more product. So there is no profit seeing as nearly every single sale is credit card.

I looked into propay, but they said I couldnt be verified (Ive had 4 last names...looks like fraud or something)

So I prefer to do credit card transactions over the phone because hauling around a portable and expensive credit card machine just isnt in the cards for me yet...

Anyone have any idea what works best? Cheapest? Most reliable? or any experience at all with this sort of thing? Im told I can go through paypal as a business account thingy but I would really prefer my account not get frozen for 180 days due to some moron hitting a button...if I ONLY use paypal for these transactions...is it a good idea? The rates arent the best...but the best is available for me and my fraud like last name issue.

Stay away from the CCs till you are bigger. The set up sucks and the fees are not all that great for processing. Stick with cash and check for now. But if you must then I guess I will have to google and call around for ya.

keebs

Particinator
So I prefer to do credit card transactions over the phone because hauling around a portable and expensive credit card machine just isnt in the cards for me yet...
not all portable credit card machines are expensive!

this is what you need! and it doesn't even need a connection to process your transaction!

it uses the technology of carbon copy

BRiT

CRaZY
Founder
Disclaimer: It's been a while since I researched this for other clients.

You still have to pay a processing fee to get your money from the CreditCard company regardless of how you collect the information -- via carbon paper or iPhone app or CC POS.

This may have changed over the years, but at the time this is how it worked. If you go direct with MC/Visa/Discover, they usually require an insane insurance payment upfront and collect a percentage of the charge and have a minimum monthly service fee. They also require a merchant to keep records for three years. The lowest I've seen their security deposit was $40000.

There are ones out there without monthly fees or minimum charges. With that said, it's best if you continue to do your research before getting into a contract or purchasing a service and be sure to do extensive checks on the company offering the service.

I looked at a zillion the other day and put in an application with Intuit (they do quickbooks or something) and they want 12.95 a mo, 2.9% and .30 per card. And the do a batch dump into my bank account for free everyday. I should kno wby monday if they are goin gto accept me or not....reallllly hoping they do.

If you have legal docs on your name cahanges, ie; marriage certificates, divorce decrees,witness protection etc, I can't see why fraud would look plausible. Sorry I don't have more fror you, but good luck and great success for you.

Whatever you decide to do, make sure you charge your customers and extra 3% to take credit cards. The card companies will charge you. No fun losing money.;)

BRiT

CRaZY
Founder
Some places prevent you from charging an extra processing fee for credit cards, but they do allow you to give a discount for cash / check. Yeah, they're funny that way.

yeah Im still trying to figure out what Im going to do. Im probably going to just offer a discount for cash or check like brit mentioned.

Dude, I'll send you a money order for some of those Ben Wa balls. :lol: I do kegels tirelessly, but I've heard those actually make them help more.

Dude, I'll send you a money order for some of those Ben Wa balls. :lol: I do kegels tirelessly, but I've heard those actually make them help more.
lol no problem, gotta wait till we get moved to ft polk though. My last order comes in tomorrow and Im done till were settled.

thesickkness

Banned - What an Asshat!
i agree with silkknitter, stick to cash/checks till you get your company going good

Status
Not open for further replies.