WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines Crickey !

Status
Not open for further replies.

YoungYesrod

Doesn't give a shit
I will forever miss you Steve

Alot of people do not understand why this is a FREAK stingray accident. The reason that it is a FREAK stingray accident is because a highly trained animal handler was not only STINGED. But also, he was stinged in the chest, and it penetrated his heart. Out of all of the places he could've been stinged, that was the most deadly. The chances of it happening are slim to none.

Personally, I loved Steve Irwin. He was my true inspiration to become a vet. Just for some food for thought for you guys, if he was my inspiration to become a vet, (aka i wouldn't have chosen to without watching him) how many others in this world has he helped love animals? For that, I will always respect him, and his work.

It is sad that I have to say goodbye to my hero.

#1 fan,
Josh

hoseq

Kevlar Cult High Priest
I feel for his family. He was a great man with a great passion for life and living.

Does anyone know an address to get a card to his family?

Captain 151

Seeped in a dry Merlot
Unfortunately, the thing I'll remember most about Steve Irwin is when he dangled his baby right in front of the crocs mouth. I started to think the man was a little bit more than just eccentric. Still, a sad and shocking passing. Hope he's hunting crocodiles in aussie heaven.

PissedRae

Allow me...
I feel bad for the bloke- but what do you expect is going to happen after years of messing with poisonus snakes and nasties with big teeth?

Even so - he lived a full and dangerous life and he will be missed by many.

*hugs* to his family that will probably miss him the most.

Bazoo

So delicious.
^ I really don't think that's the assumption we should make.

I think Irwin really appeared to be dangerous, but knew what he was doing. He just wanted to make his show and documentaries fun...he didn't have it 'coming,' because he was obv. trained to a highest extent.

This was freak Stingray thing. Of all things, it had to be a Stingray. Through the chest...*sigh*

He was a truly talented man. To die so young, too...=\

sich in the head

Magical Liopleurodon
Young Yesrod, stinged is not a word.

Anyway it pisses me off that a man that spent his entire life learning how to handle animals and helping them is killed in a freak accident, but Jackass 2 is coming out with no fatalities...

vezza

Mostly Harmless
Another Look

Steve Irwin, better known as the ‘Crocodile Hunter', was mortally wounded by a stingray while diving off the north Queensland coast during the filming of a documentary called ‘The Ocean's Deadliest'.

Steve had confronted some of the most dangerous animals in the world. The stingray, usually a peaceful animal, will only attack when threatened. It is a sad irony that Steve was killed by a passive creature.

His production team say he was swimming over a stingray, whose barb went up into his chest and put a hole in his heart. He was rushed to the Low Isles, where he was attended by Dr. Ed Loughlin within thirty minutes of the accident. Dr. Loughlin said there was nothing he could have done to save him from his ‘non-survivable injuries'. Loughlin said, “He had a penetrating injury to the left front of his chest. He had lost his pulse and wasn't breathing."

Link

What is really sad is that he was making this documentary with his daughter for Animal Planet and a childrens show. I truely hope this doesn't leave his daughter with the feeling that it was her fault in any way.

Steve was a true wildlife warrior. He was a conservationist and lover of animals and life. A passionate environmentalist. He will be missed and remembered.

Another reminder that we don't know how long we have and that we should be sure to tell the people we love that we do love them. Each and every day.

I believe that the last thing Steve would want is for anyone to condem the Stingray for what happened. For some reason the Stingray felt threatened and defended itself. Steve would understand that.

Steve, may a bit of your passion live on in all of us.

YoungYesrod

Doesn't give a shit
My question is what will become of his child that wanted to follow in his footsteps? Well, personally, I hope the child goes on pursuing in his footsteps.

Jiraffe

Domesticated Savage
Am I the only one who doesn't feel sorry for Steve? Maybe I'm just sick but I find this funny. He appeared numerous times on numerous shows talking about how he is always in control of the situation. Well it doesn't look like Mr. Stingray agreed with that. It is simply a lesson on how bad arrogance can be. Don't get me wrong I feel sorry for his family, but not him.

JLXC

WTF's Official Conspiracy Fanatic
I thought of the guy as a guy I'd wanna share a drink with and laugh my ass off at his crazy ass stories. He certainly had a "homey" quality to him lacking in many people in the media spotlight. He really cared for animals and the enviroment, and put his ass on the line to help out. Truly, the guy was a great guy, deserving of praise and admiration.

Still, in the ole Croc Hunter lingo I have to guess he said something like "Eh now there little guy, let me have a look at you... ohhhhh... you're a noice fella aren't ya?" and apparently the stingray took it wrong.

It's sad for his family, to those organizations that relied upon his donations and support, and to the people who liked to either like or hate him. Hell, if Bush died it would have less emotional impact on the world.

Bye Steve, and don't rub the crocs wrong where ever you are!

Comedown

Tenderony
A shame he had to go out like that. He was a great man.

And now stingray are my least favorite animal, hence my avatar.

Fuck you stingray. Fuck you.

Bazoo

So delicious.
Am I the only one who doesn't feel sorry for Steve? Maybe I'm just sick but I find this funny. He appeared numerous times on numerous shows talking about how he is always in control of the situation. Well it doesn't look like Mr. Stingray agreed with that. It is simply a lesson on how bad arrogance can be. Don't get me wrong I feel sorry for his family, but not him.
Are you joking? You have to be a moron to think that.

HoneyImHome

sugar-coated cynicism
It's always sad when a freak thing like this happens, but he knew every time he did what he did he was taking a chance and the risks involved. He obviously decided those risks were worth it. I doubt he has many regrets in life, atleast those concerning career decisions.

He will be missed, he was a legend in his own time, and I'm sure he will be remembered for years to come. Personally, I hope they finish the movie, as I'm sure he'd really want it, since everything he did, he did to help educate people on both the lifestyles and dangers of animals.

Cheers, Steve.

BrIONwoshMunky

EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY!
Staff
I did a bit of WiKi'ing and found a reference to an article that Surf Lifesaving Austraila (basically a large volunteer group of lifeguards; any Aussies can feel free to correct me) put out in an effort to assist people/news organizations looking for stingray statistics.

Stingrays the evil little bastards.

mastashake19

Tenderony
Comedown and BRION, Steve just rolled over in his casket (or bodybag, I'm not sure where his body is right now). If he could see you two right now, he would hang his head in shame. Steve was too close to the stingray, so it stung him out of self-defense. He probably would not have had any ill will towards it if he didn't die from it. Steve was a defender of nature, and what happend was natural. He wouldn't have had it any other way.

Stop the stingray hate, for the memory of Steve.

HoneyImHome

sugar-coated cynicism
It was a freak thing. Hell, how many of us have pet the things at aquariums like Sea World? I have and so did my daughter, and the hundreds of other park visitors that day alone, all of us closer to the creatures than Steve was to this one.

He teaches even after death of the one thing that should be remembered: that even the most knowledgable, trained professionals can sucumb to the natural defenses of animals.

pdr_ric

AGRESSIVE PERFECTOR
After years of being insanely courageous and in my opinion, "stupid",
handling venomous snakes and wrestling crocks, The irony in the fact Steve-O
was taken out by such a normally docile creature is overwhelming!
He will definately be missed. I guess it's time for Jeff Corwin to grow some balls and keep us entertained!!!

dodo_u_rock

Teh undead Dodo!
I feel quite sad that it wasn't a crock that got him seeing as he seemed to be aiming to be got by one of them, the nuber of times I saw shows where he nearly did and then all that he said to the animal was "theres a good boy/girl."

But I will miss his shows :(

Stardust

stomping through the forest like a tiny dinosaurus
Premium
I heard this statistic, that as long as proffesionals have been swimming 3have been stinged, in written history...

Steve only died because it went trough his heart, then he took it out,and immediatly died...

I just feel so sad right now..:(

Status
Not open for further replies.