WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Cringely Claims Apple and Intel are Merging - And it Makes Sense.

Descent

Hella Constipated
Cringely said:
Going for Broke

Apple's Decision to Use Intel Processors Is Nothing Less Than an Attempt to Dethrone Microsoft. Really.

By Robert X. Cringely

The crowd this week in San Francisco at Apple's World Wide Developers Conference seemed mildly excited by the prospect of its favorite computer company turning to Intel processors. The CEO of Adobe asked why it had taken Apple so long to make the switch? Analysts on Wall Street were generally positive, with a couple exceptions. WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON HERE!? Are these people drunk on Flav-r-Ade? Yes. It is the legendary Steve Jobs Reality Distortion Field at work. And this time, what's behind the announcement is so baffling and staggering that it isn't surprising that nobody has yet figured it out until now.

Apple and Intel are merging.
http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/pulpit20050609.html

I gotta say - I honestly never would have considered this.

Jung

???
Premium
I've seen nothing else about them "merging," but Apple announced Monday that they would be using Intel chips within the next two years.

Requesting link to a reliable source as well.

Edit: I'm pretty sure this is just some guy guessing and starting rumors.

idk if this is good or bad, im an AMD kinda guy and i wonder if this will affect the good price of AMD's in anyway?

Fire_ze_Missles

Martha Fuckin' Stewart
GUNNY said:
idk if this is good or bad, im an AMD kinda guy and i wonder if this will affect the good price of AMD's in anyway?
Why would the merger of Intel and Apple cause a rise in the price of AMD products? :confused: If there is a logical explanation for this, by all means, explain it to me.

Fire_ze_Missles said:
Why would the merger of Intel and Apple cause a rise in the price of AMD products? :confused: If there is a logical explanation for this, by all means, explain it to me.
If the merger somehow cause AMD to have a dramatic drop in sales through competition they would have to raise prices or lower production to save their profit.

Jung

???
Premium
GUNNY said:
That makes no sense and I honestly don't know what would make you think that. :confused:
WILD said:
If the merger somehow cause AMD to have a dramatic drop in sales through competition they would have to raise prices or lower production to save their profit.
Why would chips build for Macs effect the PC market? Apple isn't going to start selling general purpose PCs, they're just going to be using x86 processors. This won't effect the PC market one bit. Apple has never broken 2% market share, Intel currently holds around 80% market share and the rest is taken up by AMD; the PC market is in no way in trouble of being over run by Apple.

I'm sorry but this article is wrong ; Apple has shown no sign or wanting to 'merger' with Intel, and if you think about it Intel really doesn't stand much to gain from a merger with Apple, nor does Apple with Intel. Some old guy without a clue about the market making crazy guesses doesn't convince me, sorry.