Customizing Desktop

Dragonfly

Hiding
Ok heres my problem. I am bored fucking shitless of my desktop, my taskbar, my icons, fucking everything. Everytime i look at my screen everything is simple, plain and downright boring. I, for one, would love to change the looks and acts of my taskbar and system tray. I used to have a few little handy programs such as a side toolbar and shit like that not long ago, but got wiped clean by a reformat i had to do recently. In this thread http://forums.wtf.com/showthread.php?t=3581 i noticed how junglizm's desktop has a todo list and calendar etc. Little things like that would come in handy. If anyone can give me advice on any program or sites that can be used to completely customise my ordinary desktop into something more up-to-date and decent looking, would be appreciated. I'll see if i can post a screenshot of my ugly desktop later. Regards~

Jung

???
Premium
The calender/todo list is an app called Ranlender. The system monitor I use is called Wkrellm, which is a port of the Linux app GKrellm. You can use the Linux themes with the windows version. To modify the uxtheme, check out this thread on NeoWin.

There are also replacement shells, which completely replace Explorer. I've used quite a few, but only been partially satisfied with BBlean. BBlean is a Windows port of BlackBox from Linux. Most replacement shells are just more trouble than they're worth. If you have a lot of time to waste customizing your desktop to the point where it's just usable, then they're probably for you. If not, then I'd stay away from them.

Jung

???
Premium
teh anarchist said:
There is also a program called style XP made by TGT soft that works very well.
StyleXP does the same thing that the UXtheme patcher does, only it eats up system resources while it's running. If you ever uninstall it, your themes will stop working. The uxtheme is permanent, with no extra software to run, and only reverts if you choose to undo it.

Also, I edited out the second part of your reply, don't post anything about cracks or warez.

teh anarchist

Ånarchist
Won't let it happen again, my bad. Is UXtheme as in-depth as StyleXP? Toolbars, icons, fading, backrounds, boot screens, login screens, etc?

Dragonfly

Hiding
My Desktop

Well heres my desktop as of 20 minutes ago. Told you it was boring. And you think YOUR desktops are cluttered.

Jung

???
Premium
teh anarchist said:
Won't let it happen again, my bad. Is UXtheme as in-depth as StyleXP? Toolbars, icons, fading, backrounds, boot screens, login screens, etc?
No, it only allows you to change the theme. I honestly didn't even know StyleXP allowed you to do that; when I used it a few years ago it only applied themes. I use Icon Packager to apply icon themes, and there are freeware apps to change the boot screen if you want to. I just disabled mine in favor of the classic logon screen, but I use TwaekUI for autologon so I never even see it. Backgrounds can be changed in XP already so I don't see the point in having a separate program to do that either. I don't use transparency either, but I know there are freeeware app out theres to do this as well. I'd just rather not having extra software running/installed just to do simething a simple dll can do. Maybe that's just me though.

jamesp

In Memory...
look, just download the latest longhorn expansion pack and have fun.

PS: dont forget to restart and boot in safe mode....