WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Cyrix 486 Runs 3D DOS Games Slow - Need Help

Descent

Hella Constipated
Well, my ATi Mach32 video card came in today, and it didn't really help matters much. It still runs dog slow.

Doom, Duke3D, Descent, Comanche, F-22, and even Wolf3D run WAY too slow - about 8-10 fps. Wolf3D usually runs at 30.

I fucked with jumper config settings on my ECS UC4913 motherboard but it ended up only speeding it up by a little.

It has 256K cache installed, and the CPU is a Cyrix Cx486DX2-66MHz chip.

Can anyone help me? Is the Cyrix 486 chip a pile of shit, or are there any BIOS settings I should fuck with to increase this bastard's power? My old Compaq Prolinea Intel 486DX2-66MHz ran these with no problem - what gives?!

Specs:

Cyrix Cx486DX2-66MHz CPU
16MB Fast Page RAM
1MB ATi Mach32 VLB video card
Authentic Sound Blaster 16 ISA card (SETBLASTER loaded into UMB)
WD 850MB HD
Hitachi 8X IDE CD-ROM
Colorado 350 Tape Backup Drive
Teac 1.44MB Floppy Drive
ECS UC4913 Motherboard
Promise EIDE 2300Plus IDE/Floppy/Parallel/Serial/Game Port VLB combo card
Lava Computers ISA dual serial card with Startech 16550 UART
Best Data 2400B 2400 Baud Modem
Meridian 230w Power Supply
PC-DOS 7.0
Windows 3.1 IBM OEM version

Fire_ze_Missles

Martha Fuckin' Stewart
My guess it is the actual CPU... being really old, and an attempt to overclock might be a bad combination... plus the fact that Cyrix, as a company, is practically non-existant.

And any google searches for your product result in all non-english returns. So, dump the processor.

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
Teh cyrix is teh shit. Or is just plain shit. Garbage. Junk. Turd in a bucket.

You'd be better to find an AMD 486 knockoff. Or an actual Intel 486 proc.

Yet again, 2 seconds on ebay

Do a search on ebay for 486DX2 You'll get a number of hits that are dirt cheap.

Descent

Hella Constipated
UberSkippy said:
Teh cyrix is teh shit. Or is just plain shit. Garbage. Junk. Turd in a bucket.

You'd be better to find an AMD 486 knockoff. Or an actual Intel 486 proc.

Yet again, 2 seconds on ebay

Do a search on ebay for 486DX2 You'll get a number of hits that are dirt cheap.
Thank you man. I already had another proccy lined up - I just wanted to confirm that my Cryix was crap and an AMD 486 would be better.

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
Descent said:
Thank you man. I already had another proccy lined up - I just wanted to confirm that my Cryix was crap and an AMD 486 would be better.
The intel would be even better.

BRiT

CRaZY
Founder
If you want to run those games with a Cyrix brand CPU, you should be looking at 586 series of chips. When I was playing those games for the first time, that is what everyone was running. At the very least, we were running AMD/Intel 486-DX4-133s. The biggest improvement we saw with most of the games was with the video card. It had to support ModeX with good acceleration. Most were running 4 or 8 Meg S3-variants (916 or 964s if my memory isn't faultering).

Descent

Hella Constipated
BRiT said:
If you want to run those games with a Cyrix brand CPU, you should be looking at 586 series of chips. When I was playing those games for the first time, that is what everyone was running. At the very least, we were running AMD/Intel 486-DX4-133s. The biggest improvement we saw with most of the games was with the video card. It had to support ModeX with good acceleration. Most were running 4 or 8 Meg S3-variants (916 or 964s if my memory isn't faultering).
Hmmm...not a bad idea. Thing is my mobo is an ECS and I have no clue about the supported voltages for chips. Fuck. And the AMD 5x86 chips for Socket 3 are 3.3v parts, but my Cyrix is a 5v part.

Also, I have no clue how to "re-jumper" the LCD to say "133" as opposed to "66" but I guess it could be worse.

I'm not running anything THAT demanding, a 66MHz 486 would still kick ass.

Also, the ATi Mach32 was the fastest VLB card I could find.