WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Fringe Déjà vu.

zbuzz

Banned - What an Asshat!
Well, I guess, we all know what déjà vu is, so I don`t have to explain..

Ok and here is the theory:

I think we can see future when we are asleep. We just usually can`t remember our future-telling dreams. And have you ever had `déjà vu`? Well, I have had `déjà vu` countless times and I think that déjà vu is when you remember moment in past when you saw the future..

Of course, there are many other theories, like the one which says that brain just loves to play tricks on mind and that`s all.

In fact - I am an agnostic I don`t really know what to believe..

JLXC

WTF's Official Conspiracy Fanatic
Premium
I would say there can be many causes for Deja Vu, but dreams are definately one of them. I've had deja vu from things I know I've dreamed, including talking to other people about them and writing them down, so it's not some memory stutter.

Piro

From appaled to applauding, controversy.
When you wake up, write what you can remember from your dream while it's still fresh in your mind. Come back to it in a few months and you'll be astonished to what you find.

Nice theory :thumbsup:

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
deja vu?

haven't we already discussed this?
didn't i already say that?

(i'll be here all week..)

does anyone remember the movie 'top secret' by the same people who did the 'airplane' series?
they did a whole scene with the french resistance and one guy was called deja vu.. you can imagine the rest..

zbuzz

Banned - What an Asshat!
void said:
deja vu?

haven't we already discussed this?
didn't i already say that?
Well, I don`t know - I`ve joined wtfers just today..

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
zbuzz said:
Well, I don`t know - I`ve joined wtfers just today..
it was a joke.. :happysad:

deja vu? have we already discussed it?

never mind.. i'll go watch a movie.. :(

zbuzz

Banned - What an Asshat!
Oh.. sorry for being so serious :happysad: - it took some time for me understant- maybe because it`s allready 5am, at least for me :D

Darklight

Oppressing your posts...
deja vu is when they change something in the matrix....

F.o.l.l.o.w.t.h.e.w.h.i.t.e.r.a.b.b.i.t....

Slacker

Postaholic
I get that alot. Too much, it's a weird feeling and it makes you stop and say "Whoa! I feel like this happened before!" I get that all the time. It just happened today, I had a dream i was fighting (Verbally) with my freind, and I made her cry. And it happened, I wish I could of stopped it before it happened but you never know, because it is just a dream.

leehype

drunk with a jeep problem
I sometimes get deja vu from photos. The most reacent was when void posted a pic of him on his laptop. He looked alot like this guy I used to work for.

Deja vu for me has always been unnerving. Some of them aren't so bad because it's only a slight feeling, but a lot of them I'll just know I've been through the scene before. I just can't remember if it was a dream or if it actually happened. One feeling I do know came from a dream. I dreamt that my boyfriend and I had a fight, and I went to his dorm to talk to him about it. Well, at some point in the dream he went to stand by the window before turning to say something to me. A couple of days later that exact thing happens, and he even said what he said in my dream. It can get pretty freaky at times.

wilko125

Rep My Post
I once dreamed that i was flying only using my arms...

No i have had deja vu from a dream before, played out exactly as i had dreamed it and i was like WTH (would have been a WTF except i was like 7), other than that i don't remember any of my dreams, as the only ones that you remember are the ones that happen right before you wake! I think my sleep pattern is routed, as i havent remembered a single dream since about 5 years ago!

Icarus

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
I have had deja vu more and more lately, like 2 to 3 times a day. Usually for extended periods, like 15-20 seconds.

Stardust

Being naked just feels so a-peeling
I believe in deja vuus..but, there is a logical reason why some of them (those we don't dream about) feel like deja vus..

and that is, you have lack of oxygen in your brain and when you get the oxygen..your eyes have already seen the place and when your brain sees it too..it feels like a deja vu..something that youve already have done

but for about a year ago, I kept dreaming about this cottage on an island..and I would walk on the ice and wonder why I was there..when I woke up I couldn't understand why I dreamt thsi dream..about 2months later my and my ex wen't to his cousins cottage..and THAT was the cottage I had been dreaming about..that was freaky..:happysad:

I've hade other dreams about things that are going to happen and I can't figure out why I dreamt it and then a few days later or weeks/months I experience it and get all happy because I had already dreamt it.. and my teachers have never been able to explain why that happens.

Piro

From appaled to applauding, controversy.
wilko125 said:
I once dreamed that i was flying only using my arms...
That's pretty good going if you experienced deja vu from that. :lol:

Stay off the acid, ok?

Jung

???
Premium
Scientist think déjà vu isn’t a form of precognition at all, but rather a neurological malfunction. The idea is that déjà vu is caused by a memory anomaly, causing a split second lapse between the time of subconscious perception and our conscious acknowledgement of that perception. So when we feel like we’ve seen something or been somewhere before, it’s because we have – only it was a split second or two before. Our conscious mind is just acknowledging something our subconscious mind has already processed, but the anomaly confuses us into feeling like the event was perceive far prior to when it actually was. This is why perception of déjà vu is often only clear for the span of a few moments, but the details of the events preceding the perception, as well as those succeeding it, are vague or nonexistent.

I don't know about you, but this theory seems more sensible than any ideas about precognition or dreams.

skully

GO BEARS!!!!
i doubt this is in the topic but its similar...so here goes.

Sometimes when im doing something, i feel like ive seen this before, ive done this before and then i realise that i actually saw this in the dream.
Stephen hawking suggests that the mind is able to travel through a wormhole while asleep and see the future. It would be prettty frekkin cool if the physists could prove that.:cool:

zbuzz

Banned - What an Asshat!
junglizm said:
I don't know about you, but this theory seems more sensible than any ideas about precognition or dreams.
But how about moments when I remember that I saw the same situation in a dream?

Well.. I guess I could make a database of dreams, so if I have deja vu I could search through my dreams to see if there is anything like that.. And maybe prove that this not just an error in my brain, at least for myself..

Jung

???
Premium
What's to say that your subconscious mind isn't just transposing memories of a dream into the deja vu? I mean your mind is already supposedly confused, and most of what you dream is never remembered, but rather stored subconsciously.

RetArt

A Rampant Vagitarian
Junglizm is on the spot here. It can be checked form various neuropsychology-books or Kalat´s "Biological Psychology" (Not for sale in the US)..

The fact that the mind thinks all this has happened earlier, that this isn´t a memory anomaly, is cause of the fact that mind has a "need" to make things "in order". Sometimes this needs some distortion of facts etc. you know you´ve seen this before, you cant believe just a microsecond ago, so you find a situation, a dream from your memories that seem like the ones that "deja vu" can be blended in.
Memories are a good example on mind-fooling-the-reality in order to make reality seem fit. Memories from the earlier(0-~4) years are often distorted and sometimes not even true. Even though you "remember" these all so correctly. That is because these memories are often coded with visual images, not with words as our previous memories. Freud had a look at this, very interesting.. the book should be smthn like "Everyday Psychopatology: 1904).

Yup. interesting