WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines Dalai Lama Tells U.S. Crowd War Outdated

voiceofreason

Seeker of Truth
PISCATAWAY, N.J. - The Dalai Lama told 36,000 people at Rutgers Stadium that the concept of war was outdated and young people have a responsibility to make this century one of peace.

"This whole planet is just us," the 70-year-old exiled monk said Sunday. "Therefore, destruction of another area essentially is destruction of yourself."
Tibet's spiritual leader also urged the audience to develop a wider world perspective, not just focus on "America, America, America."
"His quiet mind is the kind of serenity New Jersey, home of strip malls, could use," Arielle Gomberg said.
The speech was the largest nonathletic event in Rutgers history, topping visits by former President Clinton and former U.S. Attorney General Janet Reno.
A row of monks, wearing traditional gold and maroon, sat near the stage on blankets, pillows or mats spread across the 10- and 20-yard lines on the football field.
The Dalai Lama, who won the 1989 Nobel peace prize, accepted an honorary degree from Rutgers President Richard McCormick. He said it was an honor to receive it without having to work hard and study.
In his lecture, "Peace, War and Reconciliation," the Dalai Lama said society's dream should be a world free of nuclear and biological weapons.

LINK
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How many people in the current Administration would be ready to hear this message?

None...​

JLXC

WTF's Official Conspiracy Fanatic
Premium
Speeches like his, while exactly what I believe, are the reason I gave up protesting.

OK so you convince a bunch of people to be peaceful, to use non-violence, and you gather all the great minds of your time and teach them as well.

So the assholes with guns will just have an easier target. They wont change, CAN'T CHANGE, and people who are violent and use it to gain power will always exist. So the pacifists paint themselves into a corner, and lose. I prefer peace over violence, but as long as other people are going to try and kill me, I'll fucking kill them right back.

In a perfect world, the lama is right on target. In this one he sounds naive at best.

RageAgainst

Chaotic Neutral
JLXC said:
Speeches like his, while exactly what I believe, are the reason I gave up protesting.

OK so you convince a bunch of people to be peaceful, to use non-violence, and you gather all the great minds of your time and teach them as well.

So the assholes with guns will just have an easier target. They wont change, CAN'T CHANGE, and people who are violent and use it to gain power will always exist. So the pacifists paint themselves into a corner, and lose. I prefer peace over violence, but as long as other people are going to try and kill me, I'll fucking kill them right back.

In a perfect world, the lama is right on target. In this one he sounds naive at best.
So basically you're saying, peace doesn't work and the only way things can change is through violence. Therefore I should go buy a sniper rifle and shoot a bunch of republicans and influent CEOs. Or learn how to make bombs and bomb political targets. That's what you're saying right?

RetArt

A Rampant Vagitarian
JLXC, you have gotten all too cynical.
It is true that this is not the best way of teaching people to be peaceful and all that flowery stuff.

Like a swedish artist Promoe puts it in "Prime Time":

"Dilemma, either you say nothing to a lot of people/
or you try and kick some sense to a minority of equals/
who already know what you know and don't need to be schooled/
while 85 % of the population keeps getting fooled/"

I see this speeching and stuff working like: people notice that there are others alike, others that don´t want war. Their gourage rises as they see someone else, intelligent people talking about things like these. You dont have to go to the stadium and listen to him. His message will get you on a newspaper, news broadcast or just as words by some strangers in the bus. The main point is to yell out your point, so that others know. maybe they think a little broader afterwards, maybe not. The key is in getting them to think. Eventually there will be enough. Enough to vote different, enough to revolt. enough to say "NO".

Violence causes violence and hatred. Jump off the wagon.

god, I feel like such a hippie right now.

Farceur

Philosophy Nazi
Premium
True if enough of the public wants to end war...it will end, remember Vietnam?
No public support...so the government ended it. welll....mainly.

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
Farceur said:
True if enough of the public wants to end war...it will end, remember Vietnam?
No public support...so the government ended it. welll....mainly.
wow.. again i hope you are jesting.

Farceur

Philosophy Nazi
Premium
Sureley not dude, Public support was a big reason we didn't continue on in vietnam, The public decided that victory was not worth the suffering of U.S. soldiers, another reason...haha oil,
The 1973 oil embargo in saudi arabia, which was caused in response to Western (mostly american) support of Israel in the 1973 Israeli War, by 1974 they relaxed it, but by then oil prices skyrocketed to far above where they were, The united states realized it could no longer afford the war hmmm, see i know a little. but still mainly thing is the two main causes were.

1.Public Support
2.Oil

Descent

Hella Constipated

On a side notwe, I have nothing intelligent to contribute. I just wanted to say one thing: Fuck the Republicans, and the South. That is all.

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
Farceur said:
Sureley not dude, Public support was a big reason we didn't continue on in vietnam, The public decided that victory was not worth the suffering of U.S. soldiers
uh huh, that's all cool yada but surely you were implying with the viet nam analogy that public opinion can end war in a present tense..
that's the implication that i picked up on..
and it won't.. george has his head so far up rove's ass while cheney gives him a vodka jello enema that he can't fucking hear us.. he didn't learn about katrina until nearly 4 years after it happened, remember 9.11 too? reading his coloring book for 9 days before he put his war boots on.. the fucker is deaf to logic..
"george, we hate the war.."
"mmffle, mmffle can't hear you?"
*damn i hate to put willy wonka quotes in george's mouth*

Farceur

Philosophy Nazi
Premium
You cant blame him for katrina really, everyone was slow on that, in those conditions, what would you expect...no power...no water...nothing. everyone was slow. and yah enough public support and this war would end, problem is its supported by quite a few ppl.

and explain this...if hes so fucking dumb why is it more americans voted for him, than any other presidential canidate before?

It's still my beleif that ppl working together can change things, even though we have many politicians that are "deaf" to logic. enough voices change things.

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
Farceur said:
and explain this...if hes so fucking dumb why is it more americans voted for him, than any other presidential canidate before?
this is just my opinion, i'm not a poiltical analyst or jesus..

he was voted in because people wanted to vote for conservative values after that big fella from arkansas with the crazy penis proved (yet again) that presidents are fallible..
they voted for him because he's born again and has a good shit eatin grin.. 'he's one of us' mentality..
because the opposition was so poor..
because he is a brand name.. 'well i voted for his pappy and he was (commence amnesia) a good president..
because those rapture motherfuckers (left behind) WANT the end of the world..
because people are just plain reactionary, anyone but the dems, at any cost..
because people are single issue voters, my father-in-law is a textbook dem except he is such a believer in the right to bear arms (he owns 1 gazillion guns and counting) that he voted bush twice because first freedom (nra mag) told him to.. repeat for abortion, gay marriage etc..
plus, the first time he was appointed, by that senile old fuck renquist.. although rove probably drew up the document..

america has had one good president since the war.. carter.

Farceur

Philosophy Nazi
Premium
I agree looking back at politics, carter has been the best since...that was before i was born though sooo...yah, anyways i'm just saying i dont think hes done a bad job considering the terms he got handed.

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
Farceur said:
I agree looking back at politics, carter has been the best since...that was before i was born though sooo...yah, anyways i'm just saying i dont think hes done a bad job considering the terms he got handed.
hmm.. he was handed a surplus.. i'm sure we could've dealt with 9.11 without iraq, sent a few psy-ops teams into the middle east, stir the soup up that way.. change out of a billion..

Farceur

Philosophy Nazi
Premium
Man thats just your opinion, remember hes not the one that completley decides where the money goes it has to be approved, so place equal blame on those losers. 9/11 day of everyone wanted the war. he gave it to them.
He arguably got handed one of the shittiest first terms there was... how owuld u like to handle the first attack on american soil since pearl harbor...hmmm.

I'm not saying you're wrong, just ogtta look at both sides.

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
Farceur said:
Man thats just your opinion, remember hes not the one that completley decides where the money goes it has to be approved, so place equal blame on those losers. 9/11 day of everyone wanted the war. he gave it to them.
He arguably got handed one of the shittiest first terms there was... how owuld u like to handle the first attack on american soil since pearl harbor...hmmm.

I'm not saying you're wrong, just ogtta look at both sides.
let's not get into a battle of 'hmms' here..
i stated quite clearly it was opinion, that's all we have most of the time, especially here..
and i have no interest in handling any attack on us soil, i have a complete lack of political aspirations, presidential or otherwise.. but those that do should be able to deal with situations like that without getting their cock stuck in their own ear every five minutes..
*bring it on*
i know it isn't all george's fault, hell.. he probably has nothing to do with anything if truth were known.. the real shakers are behind the throne in every country.. but he is in a position of accountability and i am holding him so..
he failed.