WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines Daylight Saving Time

tw33k

Theoretical Realist
Does anybody else think Daylight Saving Time is an archaic idea? Does it really save energy, cut down on crime and save lives like the government says? I don't believe it makes much of a difference now as compared to 1973 when it was first implemented. Back then the amount of people working at night was much less than now. 24 hour grocery stores and gas stations and Wal Marts were non- existent. Lights are blazing through the night everywhere I drive. It cuts down on crime? That's highly debatable. It's still dark the same amount of hours, no matter what time we make it. It saves lives by having people driving during daylight hours more? I don't know about where you live, but in the outer suburbs of Chicago drive traffic is always fairly heavy. Granted it's not like rush hour all night but I have had to drive at 4AM and 5AM and 6AM and traffic is like it is in the evening hours, still fairly heavy. So what's the point of Daylight Saving Time, we do it because we have for so long amd we pretend it's a good idea? Now Congress wants to extend it. Your government working to keep you safe. Yeah, right.

Nailbomb

I'm just really nice.
Daylight savings time is set up for farmers. It's got nothing to do with crime.

StreetRacer864

Banned - What an Asshat!
Wait.. DST is existing to counteract the extra time difference between the calendar year and the time it takes the earth to fully revolve!!! Where are you ppl getting this stuff from?

tw33k

Theoretical Realist
Farmers do not like DST. As for it correcting the time discrepancy with the Earth's revolution, in a word no.
http://www.energy.ca.gov/daylightsaving.html
I should have put the link in my original post. I didn't think there would be an argument over what DST is for.

skully

GO BEARS!!!!
StreetRacer864 said:
Wait.. DST is existing to counteract the extra time difference between the calendar year and the time it takes the earth to fully revolve!!! Where are you ppl getting this stuff from?

DST is NOT to counteract time difference, because it is adjusted later in the year.
Dont be a douchebag and post things that are wrong.You could have said...
I thought.blah blah blah.

skully

GO BEARS!!!!
heh! just trying to save you from jung ;)

jamesp

In Memory...
Hey guys, I just stopped by Wikipedia to see if anyones argument made sense, and guess what!? They didn't.

Wikipedia said:
Daylight saving time (also called DST, or summer time) is a system intended to "save" daylight, as opposed to "wasting" time (for example, by sleeping long past sunrise). The official time is adjusted forward, (usually) one hour from its official standard time, remaining that way for the duration of the spring and summer months. This is intended to provide a better match between the hours of daylight and the active hours of work and school. DST is most commonly used in temperate regions, due to the considerable variation in the amount of daylight versus darkness through the seasons in those regions.

see, this is why I like living in Indiana - we don't have to deal with this random crap.

dustinzgirl

Banned - What an Asshat!
tw33k said:
Does anybody else think Daylight Saving Time is an archaic idea? Yeah, right.
I saved an hour of sleep! I think we should make it two 1 hr roll backs and no 1 hour forwards. That would make me happier.

Daylight Savings Time matters and is a huge inconvinience to everyone. This is the most enthralling thing to talk about in the world.

:rolleyes:

dustinzgirl

Banned - What an Asshat!
TheLampIncident said:
Daylight Savings Time matters and is a huge inconvinience to everyone. This is the most enthralling thing to talk about in the world.

:rolleyes:
If you were in chat, we were talking about LV's boobies and hawtness.

sorry, thread jack..........

I jacked the thread myself. I'm just pissed off.

Although I will say I'd rather talk about DST than be some mindless horn dog.

themask

Flame Bait
Hello

lets wait ans watch if it makes a difference
but i have naturally adjusted my clock and also adjust my life now
lete see what happens in the future

DST is only good when it rolls back (like it just did). rolling it back forward is rediculous. who is it helping? certainly not sugar cane farmers.. or any farmers for that matter. we need to roll it forward one hour.... and keep it. never change it.

BrIONwoshMunky

EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY!
Staff
teh anarchist said:
see, this is why I like living in Indiana - we don't have to deal with this random crap.

Stupid Mitch Daniels is thinking different. Now we're going to go to DST, but every county gets to decide which timezone they want to be a part of... And the whole bit was supposed to consolidate the entire state into one time zone. What a bunch of shit. I'd like to find that represenative from Vincennes and kick his lilly ass.

oh I know .. but the decision is nowhere near made. We'll have another year or so of non-dst at the very least.

pyrodude

The real man's bitch
DST (or British Summer Time in the UK) is just bullshit. And now in the UK there are some people who want to have that time all year round. This means that everyone here will be an hour faster than our actual timezone. They say that it will be lighter, so will reduce accidents in the afternoon when kids and workers are on thier way home. What they all seem to avoid is the fact there will be more accidents in the morning when people are rushing to work and tired. Morons. Why can't everyone just stick the correct time in thier timezone.

DST is meant to let us get as much daylight as possible. I personally don't care if they get rid of it or keep it, but I have a feeling if they get rid of it people will be bitching to bring it back soon enough.

BklynCannonball

pffffffffffttttttttttt...
dustinzgirl said:
I saved an hour of sleep! I think we should make it two 1 hr roll backs and no 1 hour forwards. That would make me happier.
:yeahthat: