WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Dead Pixel

Brain Spout

Wizard No More
I have this basically one pixel area on the upper left hand corner of my screen that is always green, it is hard to notice while surfing the web or what not, but if i look closely it is there, however when i play games and such that generally have the screen black or darker it is very obvious. i asked a friend of mine who knows a good dead about computers, or boasts such and he said that it is called a "dead pixel". he said it is a manufacturer problem and that i should check with compaq(the manufacterer) about their policy on dead pixels. i went to the website and couldnt find anything about dead pixels. i plan on writing an email to them, but i wanted ot find out if anyone knew anything about it before doing so.

thankyou
-Wiz

Fire_ze_Missles

Martha Fuckin' Stewart
Newegg's dead-pixel policy is usually like 8 dead pixels, though I don't know about Compaqs.

Usually, you can sometimes "flick" the area of the pixel and it will magically work again. Google "Fixing dead pixels" or something like that, you may find an answer there. Good luck. :thumbsup:

screwy

BIG BLACK DICKS
Shit. I heard a lot of the PSPs in Japan when they first shipped had dead pixels. Bummer. How long have you had the monitor? Is there still a warranty?

If your monitor has warranty left - send it in.
Otherwise, live with it or get a new monitor.

Brain Spout

Wizard No More
it's several months old, its one pixel as far as i can tell. i have a flatpanel, LCD monitor if that in any way affects anything:
i couldnt find the exact image of my monitor, this is the same one except that it has a little speaker and mine does not. i know it's 15'' though.

im writing an email to compaq about the problem and seeing what they have to say, thankyou all for the feedback. :)

Jung

???
Premium
Like FzM said, most companies have a 8 pixel policy. You could try to return it if it's still under warranty/service agreement, but it's doubtful. The manufacturing processes still isn't to the point where LCDs can be made consistently without flaw. It only takes one particle of dust to stick that pixel. You might be able to rub it out, but honestly, it's probably best to just get use to it...

Descent

Hella Constipated
From what I've heard the highest quality standard is around three...I have a Norwood Micro 15" LCD with a Benq (AUO) panel and a NovaTek ADC, and personally I have no issues besides the fact that I fucked my settings so that my monitor cannot display anything below 640x480 without the screen turning to piss! Thank god the ADC board is fucked :D!

I'm going to call up Norwood Micro and request a firmware flash or something...

I only have three dead pixels...Then again, AUO makes the best damn panels around, so that may be a part of it...They were the first to introduce 16, 12, 10, and 8ms panels. I actually have a 16ms and I like it a lot. No ghosting here.

Jung

???
Premium
Descent said:
From what I've heard the highest quality standard is around three...
I can here you crying as I say this: My Dell arrived the first time with no dead pixels and no backlight issues. :thumbsup: Dell.

Descent

Hella Constipated
Junglizm said:
I can here you crying as I say this: My Dell arrived the first time with no dead pixels and no backlight issues.
Dell.
I honestly don't care, because I love my monitor.

Dells are actually Samsungs that come in a cheaper, less durable, Dell housing. They also lack god tech support.

But hey, they're a shitload less! I'd buy one in a heartbeat :thumbsup:.

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
As was stated before, most companies have a minimum dead pixle policy. Usually between 4 or 8. They won't even accept your monitor as a warranty for just 1.

You can try to "rub it out" or flick it but be careful. You could do more damange to the screen. Like Jung said, the best bet is to learn to cope. LCD's loose a pixle every so often.