WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Dead Threads

bnccoder

Postaholic
I was wondering since there has been a lot of outdated threads being posted on lately, is there any WTF.COM or peer suggested period of inactivity before a thread shouldn't be posted on any more?

skylinec

Somewhere in the Between
bnccoder said:
I was wondering since there has been a lot of outdated threads being posted on lately, is there any WTF.COM or peer suggested period of inactivity before a thread shouldn't be posted on any more?
If its been dead for over 3 months. Don't post in it just to bring it back!

bnccoder said:

I hope not, reviving threads is another S.C.U.M. thing!

:thumbsup:

YUCK FOU!!!

Critical Update Notification Tool.
they all seem to be old ones of mine too! seriously ones from back in june.

bnccoder

Postaholic
[sky] said:
If its been dead for over 3 months. Don't post in it just to bring it back!
Three months is a long time though. Wouldn't one month or a month and a half be more logical?

I don't see the harm in bumping a thread, no matter how old, just as long as someone has something meaningful and worthwhile to say in it.

BRiT

CRaZY
Founder
Necroposting is frowned upon.

tzedek

Original Member
TheLampIncident said:
I don't see the harm in bumping a thread, no matter how old, just as long as someone has something meaningful and worthwhile to say in it.

me too

gehtfuct

HuGE
Staff
HavokChylde said:
Just out of curiousity, why?
Frowned upon? Yes. Is anything done about it? Fuck no.

It's not a good idea mostly because...

We've got fourty-thousand threads of BS active as it is.
As the point of being archived,it does no use of reviving old threads.
Plus,chances are ,the author of the thread won't be here to defend themselves,anyhoo. So what's the point of reviving the dead?

Do what is right. Waste bandwidth,use the quote button and start a new thread.

Note: My earlier statement probably works better for threads in forums like Chit Chat and Entertainment Ave. Bumping a rant isn't such a good idea.

BRiT

CRaZY
Founder
Correct. Or bumping a presidential debate from 4 years ago isn't such a good idea either. Don't laugh, I've seen it happen on other AlienSoup. Rarely will a discussion that has been stale for 3 months be relevant today.

It most likely wont be an issue on here, at least not yet. Usually when threads older than 3 months are bumped, they're done by people looking to get into the arcade. And generally they contribute nothing significant to the discussion (ie: responses are usually of the type "Yeah, me too!").

YUCK FOU!!!

Critical Update Notification Tool.
i agree brit, bumping rants is stale and a sad cry out that says, I WANT TO HAVE A HIGHER POST COUNT and makes it look really stupid....ahh who cares

Yeah, but sometimes it contributes good things. I bumped that bad rep thread in B&T because I would rather see an old thread being used than two threads of the same thing. You can't really bump rants though, because everyone's situation is different. Bumping someone else's thread to post your own rant doesn't seem fair. And if you're trying to help a person out by bumping their threads, there's a good chance they're long gone.

Also, I like seeing posts from old members that don't come here anymore.