WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Dear WTF Computer Geniuses:

Captain 151

Seeped in a dry Merlot
Is there anyway to permanently delete Internet Explorer from a computer? See, I used to run IE, then my computer started acting funky, and I had a virus. I got it, deleted it, and started running Firefox. Ever since then, everything has been smooth.

Lately, however, I would get the most random popups (and always in an IE window), which reminded me a little of the virus I used to have (which was a keylogging virus, although it also brought with it thousands of freaking popups).

So, is there anyway to delete IE? I'm confident Firefox doesn't have this problem, and if there is indeed a keylogging virus still on my computer, I don't do enough personal accounting information to be worried about it anyway.

Thanks!

- Tbsrk

Jiraffe

Domesticated Savage
I believe you want to go to add or remove program area in the control panel and scroll until you find your internet explorer program. Deleteing the program shortcut and listing does nothing at all.

If not there then in add or remove look to the left and select add or remove components and uncheck internet explorer.

Hope that helps. I'm assuming your using XP...

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
You can try but no, you can't completely remove it. And you probably don't want too. You can't use the Update feature of Windows XP without IE. You cand download the updates manually but you're likely going to miss one.

Instead, your best bet would be to download a virus scanner, scan that bad boy, then download a malware scanner like Adaware or the like and scan with that. Then run the updates.

After that just don't use IE. Delete the Icon if that makes you feel better.

Firefox suffers from popups now as well. They're still infrequent but people are getting smarter and are defeating the built in pop-up blockers.

Rather than remove a more or less key component of Windows you're better off being more careful with how you use your system and actively checking to make sure it's clean.

Awkward Silence

Perplexed Bemusement
UberSkippy said:
You can try but no, you can't completely remove it. And you probably don't want too. You can't use the Update feature of Windows XP without IE. You cand download the updates manually but you're likely going to miss one.

Instead, your best bet would be to download a virus scanner, scan that bad boy, then download a malware scanner like Adaware or the like and scan with that. Then run the updates.

After that just don't use IE. Delete the Icon if that makes you feel better.

Firefox suffers from popups now as well. They're still infrequent but people are getting smarter and are defeating the built in pop-up blockers.

Rather than remove a more or less key component of Windows you're better off being more careful with how you use your system and actively checking to make sure it's clean.
Agreed, but if you're not running xp and you really want to get rid of IE, try this: http://www.litepc.com/ieradicator.html

I was under the impression that the windows OS was centered on explorer. Like how you can go to the address bar in any folder where the path is displayed and type in an online address and it just goes there without loading "internet explorer." Is there a difference between "internet explorer" and "explorer.exe"?

BadEvilWrong

I'd melt the world to stop with you.
Yes. Internet Exploited runs under the process iexplore.exe, while explorer.exe lets you view what you have on C:, etc.

Unfortunately, you can't delete IE. To have the buttcrack that is Windoze, you must have two whole buttcheeks, of which IE is a part of one or the other.

Fire_ze_Missles

Martha Fuckin' Stewart
Pretty homosexual how broken programs are forced unto users without a way for the user to change their preferences.

countrygrl

Highly Excitable
Fire_ze_Missles said:
Pretty homosexual how broken programs are forced unto users without a way for the user to change their preferences.

You have an option....format and load Linux. Pretty gaaay to not know what's going on and make some kind of "homosexual" comment anyway.

Sorry Jung...couldn't resist....delete the post...cockfarm me whatever.

Captain 151

Seeped in a dry Merlot
Thanks guys. Linux is out of the question. The popups have stopped for the time being so I'm not gonna do anything. I'll keep this thread in mind if it happens again. Peace in the middle east.