WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Death?

MrNewbie

Me Vs. WTF.com
Why are people always so concerned about death? It's okay, I already know the answer: Their genes tell them to be. But what's their justification? What's the rationalisation, if they've bothered to form one? Are there any valid reasons to fear dying? Let's do the list thing.

Religion is one you'll hear pretty often, but that seems a little strange if you consider that one of the primary objectives of most religious belief is to alleviate fears about death. I mean, dude, you've got this big shiny paradise waiting for you. I know your bible tells you that suicide is wrong and that you should be grateful for your gift of life, but you've gotta be secretly craving a bullet to the head. You're not? Then I guess we need to move on down the list.
`

Fear of the unknown is a pretty common answer too. People realise that they don't know what (if anything) happens after death, and, reasoning that it could be bad, don't want to find out until they really have to. But people, let's be serious here. Your religions are probably false, your fears are probably groundless. Given the probabilities, it's like refusing to go outside because you're worried about falling satellites.

Making the most of it only works if you assume that you'll exist in some form after death, which falls into the whole wishful/fearful thinking category. If you're not gonna move on to some afterlife then where is the downside to dying? This whole seizing-the-opportunity instinct is just a safeguard against future regrets, which don't actually happen if you don't exist anymore. It's not a rational reason to fear death.

Obligations to those still living will occasionally pop up, when the subject works around to thinking in his/her altruistic-pretense mode. "I gotsa put mah boy thru college!" and so on. These 'responsibilities' are formed relative to subjective moral systems. They exist only in your mind, which, conveniently, won't exist for long after your heart stops beating.

So: If (and only if) we work under certain assumed religious or moral systems then it becomes rational to fear death. However, we cannot make any grand conclusions from this until we justify the presuppositions.

This all brings me to one question: Is it inherently wrong (ie malevolent, harmful) to encourage a person to commit suicide? Should citizens with altruistic intentions feel an obligation to prevent others from killing themselves? Discuss.

gehtfuct

HuGE
Staff
Ok,who the fuck are you,and why are you impersonating our favorite stooge?

MrNewbie

Me Vs. WTF.com
gehtfuct said:
Ok,who the fuck are you,and why are you impersonating our favorite stooge?
Lets take this @ bait & tackle, shall we?

cheers :mfinger:

Bullshyt

Devil Without A Cause
Ok, while we are on the topic of bullshit posting...I have a good one(not). What is the biggest killer to people?

Death-dumbass