WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Decency and Revenge

diamond

The nice guy
How important is revenge to you?

Are you the sort of person who would perhaps subvert their own idea of decency in order to exact the maximum degree of revenge?

How far would you go to get revenge? and what sort of things have you done to gain revenge?

I am not planning vengeful tactics by the way, it's just something I saw made me interested in what people think on the subject.

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
Frankly, I believe in Karma. I won't subvert my own morals, ethics or anything else for anyone else.

If you fuck me over I won't go out of my way to fuck you over. But I'll also not forget that you fucked me over and when you need me I'm not gonna be there.

Revenge is for petty people who've got nothing better to do with their lives than let the actions of someone else dictate their own behavior.

UberSkippy said:
Frankly, I believe in Karma. I won't subvert my own morals, ethics or anything else for anyone else.

If you fuck me over I won't go out of my way to fuck you over. But I'll also not forget that you fucked me over and when you need me I'm not gonna be there.

Revenge is for petty people who've got nothing better to do with their lives than let the actions of someone else dictate their own behavior.
I couldn't agree more. :thumbsup:

diamond

The nice guy
UberSkippy said:

I agree, but what if I muddy the waters somewhat? The more I think about this, the more I go round in circles, for example your small daughter is raped and murdered, yet the man responsible escapes conviction on a legal technicality. Is it morally justified at that point to take revenge?

Rurrouni

Shinsengumi
I wouldn't subvert, and usually wouldnt be sneaky about it, I would plain old hit them in the face if they pissed me off enough (which is rare as hell).

Other then that I would just laugh it off and go on with life. I tease and hit people to much to worry about myself when something happens to me, main way to piss me off enough to get revenge is to spit out a shit load of ignorant crap, usually religious people.

Piro

From appaled to applauding, controversy.
I haven’t indulged myself in revenge since the days in school when I’d place pins on the chair of the person I hated. Generally, if someone over steps the mark, then I will distance myself, move on.

Karma. One of the labourers stuck an apple on the end one of the brickies exhaust pipe; it shot off and broke a pane of glass. He had to clear it up - his hands were raw after that. That's karma for you.

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
there is a middle ground between stooping down to their level or just turning the other cheek.. and it's summed up by the quote 'revenge is a dish best served cold'.

certain circumstances dictate to me that i do need to feel vindicated, i guess a good example is the methheads that keep parking their oil leaking unregistered addams family pick up truck and trailer loaded with used tires on the side walk in front of my house and the house next door that's for sale (and that i so badly want to sell to someone ok), well i could go out there and bang a few heads and get arrested and completely fuck up the fragile community spirit. or i could ask them to move it. they repeatedly ignored me and so i called codes and it got moved.
not exactly revenge per se but not exactly hoping my good karma will prevail over their shitty karma. karma does work but there are limits. look at pat robertson.

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
oops, my bad. i thought the topic was revenge and karma. *wanders off*

BklynCannonball

pffffffffffttttttttttt...
It is, but you didn't write about revenge or karma. I think you're confusing leaving things to karma with being passive-agressive. We're not talking about that here. I'm glad you're able to stand up for yourself.

diamond

The nice guy
BklynCannonball said:
Yeah that's not what we're talking about here but thanks for the story.
yes it is. I want to know how everyone feels on the subject of revenge and that seems perfectly relevant to me.

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
if i can be more literal, if someone stole my truck and wrecked it i'd let the cops and suits sort it out, with no harboring (sp?) of revenge on my half.. but if anyone hurt my dog, now sat on my shoulder incidently, i would untesticle him, for starters.. and that's a $20,000 truck against a $85 hound..

i think the root of revenge lies in the heart not the mind.
revenge isn't necessarily rational, and for that reason alone should be avoided whenever possible.

diamond

The nice guy
void said:
i think the root of revenge lies in the heart not the mind.
revenge isn't necessarily rational, and for that reason alone should be avoided whenever possible.
That is an excellent point. How far do your emotional buttons need to be pressed before your natural reasonable, indeed karma like instincts are surpressed?

Jung

???
Premium
I think karma is bullshit, and serves the same purpose and religion. That said, I think revenge is petty and wouldn't bother.

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
thanks both. btw cannonball, is that a pj harvey reference? i love polly.

and to answer, i have no idea how much my buttons need to get pressed in order to make me irrationally, violently vengeful.. and these buttons have been pressed pretty far.. i used to work in a record store in london, lots of assholes both sides of the counter..