WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

dell?

dustinzgirl

Banned - What an Asshat!
Not if you get it for a buck. I dont think there is anything wrong with owning a Dell for the MAINTSTREAM non techy user, or the extremely lazy techy wanna be user. I dont have a Dell in my home, I have an aversion to purchasing mainstream technology. but, I have no aversion to selling it.

Jung

???
Premium
The only cool thing about those cases is the hinged side and screwless drive bays. Imo that's not enough to want one though. I guess if you like it, they go for it though. just my :twocents:.

dustinzgirl

Banned - What an Asshat!
junglizm said:
The only cool thing about those cases is the hinged side and screwless drive bays. Imo that's not enough to want one though.
the cases are boring. i like alienware and astec cases. more lights and more options for coolness. not that I actually do any of the case mods, that what I have a man for.

Jung

???
Premium
I don't really mess with all the case mods, I just buy a cool looking case and leave it at that. I <3 Lian Li cases. Imo if you're going to buld a PC, just start from scratch. He did say he likes the case though.

My case:

icka

fuckoffanddiekthx!
dustinzgirl said:
the cases are boring. i like alienware and astec cases. more lights and more options for coolness. not that I actually do any of the case mods, that what I have a man for.
yeah but those cases are ridiculous in price all for nothing! you can find cheaper ones that are just as nice if not even nicer.

i have 3 fucking dells and they all suck and all of the cases are ugly.

Tylerc

#1 DDR Player
While I like to consider myself pretty computer-savvy, I have a Dell. My parents got my sister and I each one for Christmas in 2002.

Works great, haven't had any problems with it except the occassional freeze.

dustinzgirl

Banned - What an Asshat!
icka said:
yeah but those cases are ridiculous in price all for nothing! you can find cheaper ones that are just as nice if not even nicer.

i have 3 fucking dells and they all suck and all of the cases are ugly.
If your dells suck it is probably because you did not spend enough money on them. It is that way with any computer. I dont care if it is HP, the Cow, or alienware. A cheap comp is a cheap comp. On avg. you need to spend about 2 to 3 grand on a good system if you are buying it retail. You can cut that down to about 700 if you are making your own.

Descent

Hella Constipated
LMFAO...

Good luck trying to get that Dell case to fit your mobo, and PSU.

Dell's consumer machines use custom pinouts that are next to impossible to reverse engineer, and a standard ATX motherboard will NEVER fit into that thing. It's also next to impossible to find a PSU that will fit that case, due to the insane amount of metal that is present where you mount the PSU.

Unless you want to spend two months modding that thing, forget it.

tzedek

Original Member
junglizm said:
I don't really mess with all the case mods, I just buy a cool looking case and leave it at that.

I think case mods are pointless. they are all exactly the same anyway. some gigantic fans and some stupid neons in a clear case. :rolleyes: its like the "custom" import car scene at the moment.

dustinzgirl

Banned - What an Asshat!
jstager said:
LMFAO...

Good luck trying to get that Dell case to fit your mobo, and PSU.

Dell's consumer machines use custom pinouts that are next to impossible to reverse engineer, and a standard ATX motherboard will NEVER fit into that thing. It's also next to impossible to find a PSU that will fit that case, due to the insane amount of metal that is present where you mount the PSU.

Unless you want to spend two months modding that thing, forget it.
yes, i agree, but the avg. consumer that dell markets too JUST DOES NT GIVE A FUCK.

And I agree with Tz. too. 'cept comps are much better than import cars.

NaughtyGirl21

Formally Cuddles
tzedek said:
am i stupid for wanting one of these?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=51145&item=5137409182&rd=1

if you dont want to waste time going to the link it is a clamshell dell case with most everything taken out for cheap. i just like the case.
Well lets see, it does not include:
HARD DRIVE

CPU (PROCESSOR)

MEMORY

CD/CD/RW/DVD

HEAT SINK FAN

XP RECOVERY DISK

But I guess its a good deal if it comes with the motherboard and up to date shit. I would go for it, I mean if you have a good hard drive to put in it like me. I have an 80gig.

NaughtyGirl21

Formally Cuddles

icka

fuckoffanddiekthx!
dustinzgirl said:
If your dells suck it is probably because you did not spend enough money on them. It is that way with any computer. I dont care if it is HP, the Cow, or alienware. A cheap comp is a cheap comp. On avg. you need to spend about 2 to 3 grand on a good system if you are buying it retail. You can cut that down to about 700 if you are making your own.
eh sorry i dont really agree with that. they dont "suck" they are just very average computers. i used the wrong word!

tzedek

Original Member
CuddleMuffin said:
Well lets see, it does not include:
HARD DRIVE

CPU (PROCESSOR)

MEMORY

CD/CD/RW/DVD

HEAT SINK FAN

XP RECOVERY DISK

But I guess its a good deal if it comes with the motherboard and up to date shit. I would go for it, I mean if you have a good hard drive to put in it like me. I have an 80gig.
gee, thanks for pointing that out. i thought it was a whole computer for $1
:rolleyes:

NaughtyGirl21

Formally Cuddles
tzedek said:
gee, thanks for pointing that out. i thought it was a whole computer for $1
:rolleyes:
Thats alright, I would still get it though and work on it. I mean I think it is fun to buy parts of a computer and work on it and make it your own special way and add all the latests parts in there and make it better than others. Like the case I am getting for my computer so I can take it out of this dumpy flat case not that I got all new stuff for it. This is the case that I got but can't have until christmas:
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Ante.../sem/rpsm/oid/79785/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

Jung

???
Premium
dustinzgirl said:
you need to spend about 2 to 3 grand on a good system if you are buying it retail. You can cut that down to about 700 if you are making your own.
That's why I will NEVER buy a pre built desktop. I spent $1500.00 last year on the PC I still use for gaming. That included a professional quality sound card(remember I do audio production), top of the line graphics card, a gig of low latency ram, and the case. I already had drives and I've upgraded single components since, but my PC is still a lot better than my roomates, which he ordered from Dell around the same time. He is very limited as to what he can upgrade, plus he over spent horribly.

Descent

Hella Constipated
Yeah, I also build my own.

My damn dual Socket A mobo still isn't here yet, though...

The only PC I use that I did not build is an old Compaq Presario I got from my shrink for free. It has Windows Server 2003 on it (Fresh install, I'm writing this post on it right now!), and I'm going to put CollegeLinux on later tonight. I can't wait!