WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Dell?? "

Fire_ze_Missles

Martha Fuckin' Stewart
Dell?? split from the "Gimmie a hand"

Dude, just buy a dell. :thumbsup:

On a serious note, you might try cleaning out your existing hard-drive by removing files, games, programs, etc. that you don't use anymore.

Descent

Hella Constipated
Missles said:
Dude, just buy a dell.
You must be on CRACK to say that. Dell not only has shit service, but they have been selling craploads of defective machines lately.

Do your homework. By saying that, you may just fuck over another EU.

Jung

???
Premium
jstager said:
You must be on CRACK to say that. Dell not only has shit service, but they have been selling craploads of defective machines lately.

sar·casm Audio pronunciation of "sarcasm" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (särkzm)
n.

1. A cutting, often ironic remark intended to wound.
2. A form of wit that is marked by the use of sarcastic language and is intended to make its victim the butt of contempt or ridicule.
3. The use of sarcasm. See Synonyms at wit1.

Descent

Hella Constipated
Kinda hard to tell on the net, doncha think?

That's why Max started using [SARCASM] tags. But alas, that was before your time...

P.S. I had a hunch he was being sarcastic, but I couldn't really tell.

Broken

Member smoked too much weed!
jstager said:

LOL do you ever know what you are talking about? The Failure rate is less than 1%, and a 60ish% of all the systems returned, are from user error. Just like you and Linux. Face it you are searching for distro that makes sense to you. You should be able to install and config any distro, if you are the hardware guru that you claim to be. It's a UNIX based OS; you shouldn't have any problems.

I love these people that get on here and say something like RH sucks Mandrake rocks and get hung on LILO. Shut Up!

Facts are facts you can take the kernel and strip it to anything you what. What you are looking for son is Windows.

Fire_ze_Missles

Martha Fuckin' Stewart
jstager said:

If crack were sarcasm, I'd be a rich man :thumbsup:

Whats the matter with a Dell, really? Do you not like Dell's because you, the Hardware Guru, didn't customize it for yourself? Please. They build Dell's for your grandma, thus we realize why "craploads" are returned, because old grandma's don't know how to work a computer. :thumbsup:

Broken said:
LOL do you ever know what you are talking about? The Failure rate is less than 1%, and a 60ish% of all the systems returned, are from user error. Just like you and Linux. Face it you are searching for distro that makes sense to you. You should be able to install and config any distro, if you are the hardware guru that you claim to be. It's a UNIX based OS; you shouldn't have any problems.

I love these people that get on here and say something like RH sucks Mandrake rocks and get hung on LILO. Shut Up!

Facts are facts you can take the kernel and strip it to anything you what. What you are looking for son is Windows.
Rock on, Broken. :thumbsup: Face it kid, you are a wanna-be (as trite as the saying is). You want people to think you are this mad-crazy-uber-awesome computer whiz with dreams of marrying one, John Romero. But you aren't, with the exception of the marriage fact. Just stick with Windows. Maybe you can have a whole bunch of command prompts open on your Windows desktop, then maybe you can have a Linux Background, and just pretend that you are working under Linux. :thumbsup:

[edit]Sorry for the personal flame outside of B&T, but I couldn't help it.[/edit]

CopyLifted

Funnier than a 5th grader
jstager said:

If DG wasn't watching a movie, she'd have something to say about that. But then again, Broken has already bent you over like a bitch and set you straight on that issue.

MaxPower

You're my number two
Staff
jstager said:

That's a crock of shit dude. I run a network full of Dells. As far as quality, it's no better or worse than any other PC or Server using High quality parts. (Yes 2 of my servers are Dells as well)
I can count on one hand, the number of times we had hardware related issues in the 5 years I've been here.

As far as the service issue. You couldn't be farther from the point. When we call for a service related issue, our calls are processed quickly, and by knowledgeable techs.

How many Dells do you own?

.....................................Speaking of Own.

Descent

Hella Constipated
I said that the consumer machines were crap, not the business ones.

I can PM you with a site that will let you know how crappy they are.

Anyway, the problem I have with Dells is their crappy BIOSes.

When I put a new CD-ROM drive in the 4400, BAM! Wouldn't even get past the Dell screen. I put it in the GXa, and my old junker box with an FIC VA-503+ mobo, and it worked fine. I ended up leaving it in the junker box, where it sits to this day.

With the old GXa, I had shitloads of problems getting it to boot correctly. I tried putting in an old 8MB Rage Pro PCI card, and a 256MB memory module, and it wouldn't even boot. I took out the Rage, and it proceeded to boot fine, but not without letting me know that "1 or more memory module(s) is out of Rev." It's pretty weird, when you consider that it already had a 4MB Rage Turbo soldered onto the main board. I read up before that this PC atomatically disables the onboard video when it detects a card, so I was puzzled. Searched Dell's site, and I found BIOS Revision A10, which I promptly flashed, and fixed all my problems.

The 4400 is running Windows XP (It's my brother's machine, and he won't let me put anything different on it :( ). We are having a shitload of problems with it, such as the Teamspeak server suddenly and sporadically crashing, as well as networking issues. No matter what I say to him, he just refuses to put 2K3 on. Bastard.

The GXa is my DOS gaming machine, so naturally it has 98SE. Unreliable as hell, but I barely ever use it, so I could care less. It's just there for nostalgia.

LiberatioN

Trance Addict
Dells are good for businesses because their support is excellent (yes I used to own a Dell, and yes if you argue, you're wrong) but personally if you know what you're doing I think you'd rather build one yourself. I think anyone can agree with that. Dell have some really well-priced barebone systems. I'm thinking about getting one to run as a server. The only problems are that they integrate everything and put Maxtor HDDs in alot of their systems.

Descent

Hella Constipated
Maxtor isn't bad, they are just horribly average.

I'm more of a WD and Samsung fan myself.

dustinzgirl

Banned - What an Asshat!
Js, look Dell are not crap. I have a client base of several hundred per month. At least 20% are returning clients. Less than 1/2 a percent of the computers I sell are returned. If you are too fucking lazy to call tech support and get the issue taken care of then that is your fault. Just like it is your fault for being stupid enough to buy A MAINSTREAM USER END SYSTEM and think that you can do all of your geeky bullshit too it. We sell our home user systems to the average middle class family. That is our marketing strategy.

Think about it.

Are you sure that the CD rom drive is even compatable with the dell system? yes, they are pretty universal, but you never know. Did you even install it right?
Because, I can not really think of very many hardware issues that would cause a new cd rom to be defective during installation. That just doesnt make sense to me, but I could be wrong.

and that system is about 2 years old. If your brother was doing the exact same thing he was doing when he originally bought it, then it would be just fine. But you are not, are you? No, you are trying to modify it and upgrade it and then say, oh this sucks because I cant do all this stupid shit to it.

The Dell system is not built for the techy geeky guy. It is built for the average person who does not give a flying fuck about the ability to modify thier system.

Jesus, I know that I dont own a Dell because of that. They are upgradable but not modifyable (and i dont know if that is a word so shut up).

ChilianFuckFace

Banned - What an Asshat!
At the company I work we use dell for our desktop and our servers. Out of all of the hundreds of machines we have. Only two of them had a problem. One of them came with a bad power supply and the other seem to had a bad mother board. In my house I use machines which I build myself, however I bought a Dell for my mother. Their support is great for home users and she wouldn't have to bother me if there was something wrong if I built a PC for her.

Dell's are better than COMPAC!

Jung

???
Premium
jstager said:
Maxtor isn't bad, they are just horribly average.
I've personally had two Maxtors just die. The head failed on both, with out warning; one gave me warnings by clickling lightly until it finally went out, the other died while I was sleeping. Maxtor makes cheap drives, they are crap. I have an 80GB Seagate that I've had for 4 years and it's never given me any problems, while two Maxtors died in that time. I stick strictly to Western Digital or Seagate.

Also, Dell's aren't that bad. They're great for corporate use, as they have excellent support, I only favor HP or IBM servers over Dell. Dells are good for people who can't build their own, imo they're one of the better pre-fab companies.

Descent

Hella Constipated
DG said:
Are you sure that the CD rom drive is even compatable with the dell system? yes, they are pretty universal, but you never know. Did you even install it right?
Number one, the drive was a Sony c. 1998-99, so I really don't see how compatibility issues could arise.

Don't get me wrong, most Dell's are reliable, but their consumer department has been faltering lately.

Example:

The first generation XPS laptops had an incompatibility with the 9700 GPU. I don't know the exact number, but I heard many people were complaining of lockups. Since the video was upgradable, people even tried swapping the GPU with a friend's XPS that worked, but still to no avail. They have not fixed the problem to this day.

Also, their TrueMobile Mini-PCI 802.11B/G cards are crap. I recommended that card to my shrink and my father over the Intel card due to the 802.11G capabilities. Sadly, these cards tend to fuck up in the worst of ways, all the way from extremely high ping times, to sporadic loss of signal, and they even sometimes just drop the connection completely and will not work without a reboot.

Dell's consumer machines are mostly okay for beginners, but their servers and corporate machines are amazing. However, the ones in our PC lab at school have problems. About four or five of them randomly stop responding in VB 6.0 and just about everything else, for no reason. They all have the exact same software installed, as well as the same hardware configuration. My guess is that either their PSU's are faulty, or their CPU's is not getting enough cooling, but that's just my take on it.