WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Descent VS. Hardware/OS's/Computers

Descent

Hella Constipated
7,686
165
157
#1
AMD Athlon XP Bootlegs from BZBoys *I have no more shit to lump*

Real bright! Oh well here's a power cord, that should keep you busy for hours.-Broken

Jung: If a mod edits your post, leave it the fuck alone. Thanks.

So guess what all the lockups were caused by?

TEH CPU!

I loaded up Prime95 and it rounded like shit, and halted. I said, "Shit." Loaded it up again, ran it again, and my rig locked up like Jessica Simpson on the SAT's.

I popped in my other one. It works! But I still get Prime95 errors.

Well, at least it works so far...

UPDATE: SCROLL DOWN, READ IT ALL. They're screwing us...
 

Descent

Hella Constipated
7,686
165
157
#2
And, fuck. Well, guess this one is bad too!

I was playing FreeSpace 2, and the audio started popping again.

After ten minutes, you hear "BBBBBBBBBBBBBRRRRRRRRRRRRRRTTTTTTBBBBBBBBBBTTTTTTTTT!"

*NO IMPUT SIGNAL*

*BEEP!*

Fuck. My Durons NEVER did this, if they pass the Prime95 test BZBoyz is going to get HELL for selling me these chips.

They must be some of the Asian bootlegs...
 

Descent

Hella Constipated
7,686
165
157
#3
OH MY FUCKING GOD, THEY'RE BOOTLEG!

The misalinged fonts and wrong typefaces say it all, just like I read online...
 

BRiT

CRaZY
Founder
11,835
8,011
487
#4
Be sure you have the proper voltages set for the XP cpus. If you can manually set the voltage, bump it up by 0.5 volt. That might help out.
 

Fire_ze_Missles

Martha Fuckin' Stewart
1,622
12
38
#5
Descent said:
OH MY FUCKING GOD, THEY'RE BOOTLEG!

The misalinged fonts and wrong typefaces say it all, just like I read online...


 

Descent

Hella Constipated
7,686
165
157
#6
VCore is stable at 1.65. I don't know what to make of this besides calling up BZBoyz and demanding my $150 back.

Bootlegging assholes.

BRiT said:
Be sure you have the proper voltages set for the XP cpus. If you can manually set the voltage, bump it up by 0.5 volt. That might help out.
Both my boards have no VCore.

I downclocked this one to 1600MHz (100 FSB) and it still pops in FreeSpace 2, but Prime95 ran fine.
 

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
7,529
63
142
#7
Dude... you so need to not play on computers any more. They fucking hate you.

Ok, that's probably not true... but if you're willing I will build you a computer that will be rock solid stable for ever... you just won't be able to fuck it up. Here's how I'll do it:

1. Password lock the BIOS (No BIOS hack for you)
2. Set the standard boot order to boot from C: first. (No loading new OS's for you)
3. Load Windows 2000 and give you limited user rights. (You can't install or uninstall ANYTHING)
4. Weld the fucking case closed. (Now you can't get in there and fuckup all the nice clean work I did)

Problems solved.

Tell you what, for 50$ I'll just do all that shit to your current comp and then you can stop spamming about all your PC probs.

Hey, if we all get together and donate like a quarter, we could just buy him a fucking Xbox (which I'll happily weld shut).
 

Jung

???
Premium
13,998
2,267
487
#8
UberSkippy said:
2. Set the standard boot order to boot from C: first. (No loading new OS's for you)
How would that do ANYTHING to prevent him from loading a new OS? Also, BIOS knows nothing of C:, that's a OS specific concept which is addressed at a much higher level. It would either be Disk0 or IDE0 depending on the BIOS.
 

Descent

Hella Constipated
7,686
165
157
#9
Uber said:
Dude... you so need to not play on computers any more. They fucking hate you.

Ok, that's probably not true... but if you're willing I will build you a computer that will be rock solid stable for ever... you just won't be able to fuck it up. Here's how I'll do it:

1. Password lock the BIOS (No BIOS hack for you)
2. Set the standard boot order to boot from C: first. (No loading new OS's for you)
3. Load Windows 2000 and give you limited user rights. (You can't install or uninstall ANYTHING)
4. Weld the fucking case closed. (Now you can't get in there and fuckup all the nice clean work I did)

Problems solved.

Tell you what, for 50$ I'll just do all that shit to your current comp and then you can stop spamming about all your PC probs.

Hey, if we all get together and donate like a quarter, we could just buy him a fucking Xbox (which I'll happily weld shut).
...As if I'm in control of this? I could always report these guys to AMD, I'm getting my fucking $150 back!

Worse, I have a LAN party this month, and I can't do it with an 1800+ (Which it is running at).

Maybe I'll just buy a Mobile XP...

LESSON LEARNED: USE THE 'EGG...

UPDATE - Thanks for the inspiration, BRiT! I'll up the voltage via the bridges. Fab51.com is GOD.

http://fab51.com/cpu/barton/athlon-e23.html

Their "April Fools Day Prank" is still online...They changed it to Japanese.
 

jamesp

In Memory...
1,714
1
0
#10
UberSkippy said:
Dude... you so need to not play on computers any more. They fucking hate you.

Ok, that's probably not true... but if you're willing I will build you a computer that will be rock solid stable for ever... you just won't be able to fuck it up. Here's how I'll do it:

1. Password lock the BIOS (No BIOS hack for you)
2. Set the standard boot order to boot from C: first. (No loading new OS's for you)
3. Load Windows 2000 and give you limited user rights. (You can't install or uninstall ANYTHING)
4. Weld the fucking case closed. (Now you can't get in there and fuckup all the nice clean work I did)

Problems solved.

Tell you what, for 50$ I'll just do all that shit to your current comp and then you can stop spamming about all your PC probs.

Hey, if we all get together and donate like a quarter, we could just buy him a fucking Xbox (which I'll happily weld shut).
Errors:

1. You can just falsh the BIOS to reset the password.
2. It doesnt matter what the boot order is if you dont have anything in the disk drives.
 

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
7,529
63
142
#11
jamesp said:
Errors:

1. You can just falsh the BIOS to reset the password.
2. It doesnt matter what the boot order is if you dont have anything in the disk drives.
Ok, Jung has a good point. I should have said, set the boot order to IDE first. In theory, if it will always boot from IDE0 he can't boot from floppy or CD to flash the BIOS or load a new OS. (I over simplified)

And before anyone else points out some other error remember, the BIOS is password protected so he can't change boot order, he has limited rights on the OS so he can't just load XP over the top and the case is welded shut so he can't jerk the CMOS battery.

And how is it that Descent was the only one that managed to pick out the sarcasm?
 

Jung

???
Premium
13,998
2,267
487
#12
UberSkippy said:
And before anyone else points out some other error remember, the BIOS is password protected so he can't change boot order, he has limited rights on the OS so he can't just load XP over the top and the case is welded shut so he can't jerk the CMOS battery.
Actually he could just insert a Windows CD while still inside Windows and it would allow him to install. When you're in Windows the install starts, copies all the required files to hard disk, modifies the mbr then prompts for a restart. Upon restart the install is done from the hard disk, not the media. That's what I was getting at earlier; not all installs require booting from CD. (Edit: I know both Pro and server versions do this, but Home may not. Although I really don't see why Home wouldn't as well.)

Also, most motherboards allow you to flash the BIOS before POST, so that would be a moot point as well. ASUS is THE only manufacturer I know of that requires you to pass POST to flash.
And how is it that Descent was the only one that managed to pick out the sarcasm?
It's not that we (I'm guessing in the case of James) didn't get he sarcasm, we just like to argue semantics. :D
 

Jung

???
Premium
13,998
2,267
487
#14
Well Jamesp IS his username.
 

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
7,529
63
142
#15
junglizm said:
It's not that we (I'm guessing in the case of James) didn't get he sarcasm, we just like to argue semantics. :D
Good point.

But you can give a user limited access in Windows... no installers allowed. He has to ask someone with admin, or Super User to install apps. He plays old games so we could just load those as part of his base image anyway...

Hmmm ok, no floppy disk, disable boot from CD. No flashie the BIOS.

And a Barney screen saver just to be mean.

Work WITH me. I'm trying to come up with a real life solution to all his computer woes...
 

Jung

???
Premium
13,998
2,267
487
#16
UberSkippy said:
But you can give a user limited access in Windows... no installers allowed. He has to ask someone with admin, or Super User to install apps.
Anyone that knows the URL to Google and how to type can get around that.
I'm trying to come up with a real life solution to all his computer woes...
I see what you're trying to do, and as whimsical as it is, it's nowhere near being an actual solution. You can lock down as much as you want, a determined user, no matter how ignorant, will still find a way to either a) bypass your methods, or b) totally fuck up the machine trying.

Their are some things you can't fix with technical means. Education, and a little maturity would go farther than any clever security methods. The problem with the e-penis++; types is that they think they know everything, and their egos prevent them from actually learning from their mistakes. So those types will always lose, at least until they learn to humble themselves and start learning.

P.S. Is that a short bus in your avatar? :D
 

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
7,529
63
142
#17
junglizm said:
P.S. Is that a short bus in your avatar? :D
Why yes, yes it is.

And you're right. We can't make a Descent proof system. Not when the Chair to Keyboard interface is all fucked up.
 

BrIONwoshMunky

EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY!
Staff
9,735
4,272
387
#18
I would just like to post a

"ha ha"

Going out to Descent finallly "learning" about NewEgg.