WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Digital Art

dustinzgirl

Banned - What an Asshat!
Hey, I am thinking of getting into digital art, like using Poser and Photoshop and the like. Does anyone else do this?

MaxPower

You're my number two
Staff
I can put Britney Spears' head on Jenna Jameson's body. Does that count?

dustinzgirl

Banned - What an Asshat!
MaxPower said:
I can put Britney Spears' head on Jenna Jameson's body. Does that count?
No that is photoshop silly, which drives me insane by the way.

betrayed

Banned - What an Asshat!
I use photoshop, still learning how to use it.. :)

Jung

???
Premium
dustinzgirl said:
Hey, I am thinking of getting into digital art, like using Poser and Photoshop and the like. Does anyone else do this?
poser is the same kind of crap bryce is;) if you really want to do 3d modeling look into maya or 3d studio. if you're wanting to do animations, build your charactters in maya with the proper bone structure and you can import them into motionbuilder. is there a rule about the max image size we can post? i could post soem of my work, but i think it'll look like crap resized.

p.s. check out www.3dbuzz.com lots of great video tutorials.

dustinzgirl

Banned - What an Asshat!
junglizm said:
poser is the same kind of crap bryce is;) if you really want to do 3d modeling look into maya or 3d studio. if you're wanting to do animations, build your charactters in maya with the proper bone structure and you can import them into motionbuilder. is there a rule about the max image size we can post? i could post soem of my work, but i think it'll look like crap resized.

p.s. check out www.3dbuzz.com lots of great video tutorials.
i dont really want to do animation, just prints. What software program is most effective for a begginer?

Jung

???
Premium
it depends on what you want to do. i like maya for 3d, but you're not really going to find a beginer friendly 3d package. maya is probrably easier to use than 3ds though and you can easily find a torrent for both as well as CBTs;)

dustinzgirl

Banned - What an Asshat!
junglizm said:
it depends on what you want to do. i like maya for 3d, but you're not really going to find a beginer friendly 3d package. maya is probrably easier to use than 3ds though and you can easily find a torrent for it;)
for 2d i was told poser, bryce and photoshop. I am thinking that it is created in poser and rendered in bryce? I get confused as to where to start first.

Jung

???
Premium
poser and bryce are 3d programs, use them if you want undetailed materials, limited artistic freedom and low polygon models/renders. poser is for character modeling, bryce is for making landscapes, neither is much good for anything else, actually neither is good for their purpose either. there is a reason maya and 3ds are used to create sfx for games and movies, they're the best. learning bryce woun't give you much allow you to move to other programs with ease, they're both pretty simple programs.

Icarus

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
I use PSP. It makes me the best.

I also do pixel shading for my site in paint. It also makes me the best.

My advice is to gain knowledge in a simple program and work your way up. When you're a paint master, then you're ready to move on up.

dustinzgirl

Banned - What an Asshat!
Lets play pretend.
If I were, say really, really dumb at any type of digital art making, and basically just learned the term on a forum today, but I am interested in learning it, and had never used any of those programs, where would I begin?

Icarus

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

It's the best way to learn.

dustinzgirl

Banned - What an Asshat!
I can do alot in ms paint. past that point. next thing to learn?

Icarus

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

PSP or PS. Also, animation shop three, or some other such program. That's how I made that.

Oh, and I made that before I knew how to spell piece. Le shrug of le shoulders.

Jung

???
Premium
photoshop or illustrator are the best for non 3d work. imo i don't see why you would waste the time learning anything else, just to have to relearn when you switch programs. psp=paint shop pro, but there is a reason photoshop is a lot more widely used;) or atleast gimp if you can't afford ps or have a don't want to download it.

illustrator work:

MaxPower

You're my number two
Staff
dustinzgirl said:
i dont really want to do animation, just prints. What software program is most effective for a begginer?
MS paint. It comes with windows.

dustinzgirl

Banned - What an Asshat!
MaxPower said:
MS paint. It comes with windows.
We already had that discussion. Do try to keep up max, you are a MOD now. ;)

UnChew

100% Peruvian Pussy*
It depends on the purpose, for example... if you want to make and design posters and leaflets, you can use Adobe Photoshop, if you want to anymate u can use Illustrator and if you want web graphics you use Macromedia Fireworks.

Icarus

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
junglizm said:
photoshop or illustrator are the best for non 3d work. imo i don't see why you would waste the time learning anything else, just to have to relearn when you switch programs. psp=paint shop pro, but there is a reason photoshop is a lot more widely used or atleast gimp if you can't afford ps or have a don't want to download it.
And there's a reason I use PSP, that being I can't afford Photoshop and I have 56k, so downloading it isn't much of an option.

Also, that's some nice work... I'm better than that piece of trash I posted earlier... that was a while ago :thumbsup: