WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Dilemma!

TwisT

Hooked on Rocks!
New job dilemma!

Got this friend which calls me last thursday and tells me there is an opening at his place of employment and that I would be a perfect fit! So friday after work I head over there to check out this possible prospect. This shop is pretty much a reflection of the place Im working now. The equipment is all a brand known as HAMADA. This brand is the cheaper brand of press that I currently run RYOBI. This is good you see Ryobi has pretty much set a high standard for every one else to follow including HAMADA! But Hamada is not far behind and they have a nice setup at this other shop! The press is virtually the same! But I have a great boss where Im at and great benefits. At the interview I told the shop owner that I would consider defecting on account I would get the same or better benefits and at least $2 more per hour putting me at $22 dollars an hour. Here's the thing, I like my job, I live two miles away from home, great boss, and the pay ain't bad! This new place would be about 17 miles away, not bad but would require freeways, working 7 to 4, rather than 8 to 4, complete change for the unknown, but a raise of two possibly three dollars! It's alot to take in and I have to tell my boss because we are friends and I would feel bad just to spring it on him with out giving him time to counter the offer! The other half of that is Im not going for the money, mostly to run the show in the printing department! This job is pretty much locked up for me all I have to do is say yes and it is mine, but I really got my shit down at my current job and more importantly I'm secure and happy (most of the time, HAPPY). So I've had the whole three day weekend to think it through and still have didly! Im torn on my happiness and my future! The new job would be the best for my growth and nurse me along on my way to the top, but I've got everything I need now and possibly down the road! There is room for growth where I'm at I just don't know when!!

SO?

Nailbomb

I'm just really nice.
As long as there's room for growth where you're working, I'd say go for happiness. All that extra money won't matter much if you hate your job, since you'd likely end up spending most of your days in a bad mood.

LiberatioN

Trance Addict
Sounds like if you play your cards right you'll come out fine. Just don't ruffle any feathers along the way and be respectful to the decisions of any potential employers (including your current boss). Good to hear that you've got options, though. I'd say, more than anything, work where you're most comfortable and where it's the least stressful environment that you can be in for the amount of pay received. I'd say being happy is worth much more that a couple more dollars an hour (unless you're currently in a financial problem or something).

TwisT

Hooked on Rocks!
LiberatioN said:
Sounds like if you play your cards right you'll come out fine. Just don't ruffle any feathers along the way and be respectful to the decisions of any potential employers (including your current boss). Good to hear that you've got options, though. I'd say, more than anything, work where you're most comfortable and where it's the least stressful environment that you can be in for the amount of pay received. I'd say being happy is worth much more that a couple more dollars an hour (unless you're currently in a financial problem or something).
I like to keep my options open, you never know! But happiness is piece of mind! I don't need the money and sooner or later Ill get there at the job Im currently at. I'm waiting for a reply from the owner today. He will have his formal proposal for me but I think Im just gonna have to let it go. I should know for sure this evening.

TwisT

Hooked on Rocks!
LiberatioN said:
So any update so far?
Yes, I spoke with Mike this evening and he offered up the dinero I asked for, Kaiser for medical (paid), Two weeks vacation, plus a week of sick pay. This is pretty much what I have now with out the extra cash. After talkin it over with my girlie we both came to the conclusion that I stay put. I'm only two miles away from work now and have quite a few perks. My boss is really cool It's almost like he's not a boss, cept when he takes the jobs from hell but every place of business has them! Overall location and happiness has won me over. I can't complain so I won't!

I think Im going to tell my boss whats going on though. He's been a good boss and I'd like to share the fact that I choose to stay with him over a raise. Who knows maybe he'll kick down another buck!*

gummi_

Tenderony
Just wondering, even though youve decided already...

With the extra money p/hour, wouldnt you have just ended up paying this on petrol to get to work? (If you drive to work that is :p)

Wondering cos my mum factors petrol into alot of her decisions. Kind of a tight budget we live on, hehe.

TwisT

Hooked on Rocks!
gummi_ said:
Just wondering, even though youve decided already...

With the extra money p/hour, wouldnt you have just ended up paying this on petrol to get to work? (If you drive to work that is :p)

Wondering cos my mum factors petrol into alot of her decisions. Kind of a tight budget we live on, hehe.
That has also weighed in on my decision as well! With the increase in pay I also would increase my consumption of gasoline along with being taxed up the ass it just isn't worth it for an extra $100 to $150 a month after tax and gas!

LiberatioN

Trance Addict
TwisT said:
After talkin it over with my girlie we both came to the conclusion that I stay put. I'm only two miles away from work now and have quite a few perks. My boss is really cool It's almost like he's not a boss, cept when he takes the jobs from hell but every place of business has them! Overall location and happiness has won me over. I can't complain so I won't!
Good stuff; glad you made the decision based on how you enjoy the job. I've come to respect people who just do their jobs because it's what they love and cuz they're happy where they are. Hope you can get a raise sooner or later like you wanted.

TwisT

Hooked on Rocks!
LiberatioN said:
Good stuff; glad you made the decision based on how you enjoy the job. I've come to respect people who just do their jobs because it's what they love and cuz they're happy where they are. Hope you can get a raise sooner or later like you wanted.
You know Money was never the issue! Of course I would have to have one if I defected but it wasn't my priority! Im doin just fine where Im at and that's it!

Thanx for your concern, I to believe happines conquers all!

shep

Local alcoholic
Good wage,good boss?your set :thumbsup: