WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Disconnection

My computer keeps disconnecting. I dont know why... and its very irritatng. I'm talking ever 5 min here. Does anyone have any ideas why? Do I have a virus?

- I have bmts dial up internet
- I have a party line phone
- It's not high speed
- This has been happening for days (and there's no storm or wind or anything!)

Please help!!! Pleaseeeee! :(

Fire_ze_Missles

Martha Fuckin' Stewart
Contact your ISP, and inform them. Secondly, try updating your modem's drivers.

Jung

???
Premium
Jessica43999 said:
My computer keeps disconnecting. I dont know why... and its very irritatng. I'm talking ever 5 min here. Does anyone have any ideas why?
  1. Update modem drivers
  2. Update Windows
  3. Scan for malware and viruses
  4. Contact your ISP about your problem and request tech support
  5. Post back with more information
Jessica43999 said:
Do I have a virus?
Why don't you scan your computer and tell us? If you don't have an anti virus application, try using this.

How do you update your modem's drivers? I dont have a virus (scanned with norton 2003). How do you update windows!? Geez, maybe I should just cann my "computer guy".. :happysad: Like, i know a bit, but not allot... I need the "fixing your stupid net connections for dummies" or something...

BrIONwoshMunky

EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY!
Staff
Unless you have kept your subscription for Norton up to date, your virus definitions are at least a year old, assuming you had one full year of updates and you purchased it in the begining of 2003. Meaning that all viruses created in 2004 or 2005 are capable of going undetected by an out of date virus scanner. I'd use Jung's link.

Also, what version of Window's are your running? And if you know the make and model of your modem, that could come in handy too.

Jung

???
Premium
Jessica43999 said:
How do you update your modem's drivers?
Well, first you need to find out what kind of modem you have, then you need to search for the manufacturer's website and see if there are any newer drivers available. You can find out what kind of modem you have from the Device Manager; right click My Computer, then select Properties, then the Hardware tab, then click the Device Manager button. Once you're there, just find the modem and click the + next to it to expand it.
I dont have a virus (scanned with norton 2003).
Try scanning with an anti virus program that isn't a complete piece of shit. Try the link I posted above, or get the trial version of nod32. Make sure you update the definitions before scanning though. I would also scan with Spybot S&D and Microsoft Anti Spyware just to be safe.
How do you update windows!?
http://update.microsoft.com

Darklight

Oppressing your posts...
most common cause is a dirty phone line. your phone line was installed a long time ago or very badly and has alot of interferance... call your phone company and tell them you want to use the line for internet and you keep getting disconnected and you suspect the line is dirty. ask them to diagnose the line...

Okay - about my modem...

- HSP56 MicroModem
- manufacturer - PCtel
- In device status - it says its "working properly"

I am running windows Xp
My norton antivirus was "live updated" before I scanned, so it should be able to scan for all viruses out there...

Dirty...

Darklight said:
most common cause is a dirty phone line. your phone line was installed a long time ago or very badly and has alot of interferance... call your phone company and tell them you want to use the line for internet and you keep getting disconnected and you suspect the line is dirty. ask them to diagnose the line...
My phone line is probobly dirty (it's super old, and it does have interference because its a party line) - But, this never used to happen, it just started happening a week ago - so maybe that's not the problem? :happysad:

p.s - I have all the updates unstalled on my computer - i have that "live update" for windows things installed... so my computer updates automaticly!

BrIONwoshMunky

Staff
junglizm said:
Try scanning with an anti virus program that isn't a complete piece of shit. Try the link I posted above, or get the trial version of nod32. Make sure you update the definitions before scanning though. I would also scan with Spybot S&D and Microsoft Anti Spyware just to be safe.

Visit his links, as I said before. I'll try to find some drivers for you, and edit the link into this post.

Weeeeeeeee, the company that made your modem, doesn't support them anymore, so you're going to have to use this to figure out whether or not your modem is either HSF or HCF.

Read this to help you use the utlility and figure out what TYPE of modem you have.

Jung

???
Premium
Okay - about my modem...

- HSP56 MicroModem
- manufacturer - PCtel
- In device status - it says its "working properly"

I am running windows Xp
http://members.driverguide.com/ums/...NTYrTWljcm9Nb2RlbStYUA==&ac=1120278308v314168

I think the username is 512 and the password is temp, it's been a while though.
Jessica43999 said:
My norton antivirus was "live updated" before I scanned, so it should be able to scan for all viruses out there...
That doesn't change the fact that Norton is a shitty program and misses TONS of viruses. Try something that actually works. Also use tha Microsoft spyware scanner, it could be a malware problem.
Darklight said:
That is definitely possible, but I doubt that's the problem in her case, being that this just recently started occurring. Either way, that would be the absolute last step in trouble shooting this type of problem; there are too many other causes that are more likely to be causing this (software/driver conflicts, ISP problems, bad hardware, et al.) Also, the phone company isn't just going to jump at your request and "clean" your phone line, especially if it's not effecting the actual POTs system. Furthermore, the phone company is NOT required to offer any support for data services, unless of course you're purchasing their data service.

Insanitee

I know where you live!
log onto www.download.com

In the seach bow type staylive, search for it and download the program. Install and smile.

It's free and will keep you connected!!!!

Jung

???
Premium
Insanitee said:
log onto www.download.com

In the seach bow type staylive, search for it and download the program. Install and smile.

It's free and will keep you connected!!!!
That's awesome, but she isn't getting dropped for inactivity; it's disconnecting while she's using the computer. All that StayLive program does is creative a small amount of traffic, so there is more going across the line than just the keep alive. It only works when ISPs disconnect you after a period of inactivity on your connection.

Btw:
CNET > Downloads > Windows > No results found

No software found for staylive
Here is a proper link if anyone is interest though.

Could this have something to do with a shitty internet service provider? Like, i've just been online now for awhile without disconecting... could this have to do with someting else other than my computer or phone line? :(

Jung

???
Premium
Jessica43999 said:
Could this have something to do with a shitty internet service provider? Like, i've just been online now for awhile without disconecting... could this have to do with someting else other than my computer or phone line? :(
Yes, that's already been said.

BrIONwoshMunky

Staff
If your ISP is indeed shitty, more people than just you would be experiencing the problem. If anyone you know uses the same ISP, and they too are having the same problem, then I would contact your ISP to complain, or look into switching to a different provider, that has a better reputation.

If you do complain to your ISP, they will most likely tell you to do everything we are telling you to do anyways.

Jung

???
Premium
BrIONwoshMunky said:
If you do complain to your ISP, they will most likely tell you to do everything we are telling you to do anyways.
Exactly, that's why you should do all this first. The next step would be to contact your ISP, thyy can tell you if they're having network problems, and you might even alert them of one. It can't hurt to call them either way.

I fixed all those problems, and its still being an asshat... geez, what now?

Jung

???
Premium
Jessica43999 said:
I fixed all those problems, and its still being an asshat... geez, what now?
junglizm said:
Contact your ISP about your problem and request tech support
junglizm said:
contact your ISP
BrIONwoshMunky said:
complain to your ISP
It could just be me, but I see a pattern forming here.