WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Disk Defragmentation

Brain Spout

Wizard No More
are there any good disk defragmenting programs out there, prefirably free, and it would also be nice if i could schedule defrags. i searched google, but i don't really know which programs are the best, and i'm not even sure why the windows defrager wouldn't be allright...

skully

GO BEARS!!!!
i used the windws defrag and it worked fin for me,though it took an unusually long time the last time i used it.
however i would reco power defragmenter

Jung

???
Premium
I use Perfect disk, but it's not free. You can schedule the Windows defrag with batch files though. Just create a batch file with @defrag drive: in it and schedule it to run whenever you want. Replace drive: with whatever drive letter you want to defrag, obviously.

leehype

drunk with a jeep problem
I set up my scheduled task to run the defrag thing, but I can't defrage now because I'm having problems with my hard drive.:mad:

You know that if you go into your control panel, and you'll see a folder looking thing called scheduled tasks, and you ahould be able to set that up in there.

I'll ask around and see about that free defrager thing.

Jung

???
Premium
You know that if you go into your control panel, and you'll see a folder looking thing called scheduled tasks, and you ahould be able to set that up in there.
That won't work.

Deadlynome

Metal Master
On Windows I use a program called O&O Defrag, it works great. There are many different ways it can defrag and I attribute much of how long my HD has lasted to O&O.

tw33k

Theoretical Realist
The defrag in Windows works fine, just a couple of things to do first to make it work well: First right click on My Computer and select properties to get System Properties. Click the Advanced tab and the Settings button under Performance. Click the Advanced tab and then the Change button under Virtual Memory. Make a note of the Initial Size and Maximum Size of the Paging File for restoring later. The click the No Paging File Radio Button and the Set Button. Click Apply and OK on the bottom of the window. Second Restart your computer and enter Safe Mode ( Tap F8 repeatedly as computer reboots, the select Safe Mode from list with arrow keys and press enter.) Run defrag in Safe Mode so no programs are running in the background. When finished, restart computer and restore Paging File to size it was. This is for Windows XP. For Win 98 it's the same but I don't remember if the Page File is in the same place. You can run Defrag in Safe Mode without disabling the Page File if you want, but it makes for a more complete defrag of your harddrive if you do.

gurlgonewild

Was machen Sie?
tw33k said:
You can run Defrag in Safe Mode without disabling the Page File if you want, but it makes for a more complete defrag of your harddrive if you do.
tis good to know, repped.

Jung

???
Premium
tw33k said:
You can run Defrag in Safe Mode without disabling the Page File if you want, but it makes for a more complete defrag of your harddrive if you do.
Or you could just set your page file to a static size so it won't fragment, and save yourself a lot of trouble. Or you could use Perfect Disk or O & O Defrag.

Tostig

Paradoxasaur
I use Disk Keeper 9. It will schedule defrags whenever you want, even keep defragging multiple times if you use your HD a lot. I'll defrag paging files and master boot records if you want as well. You can also set it to defrag on a reboot (very nice feature) so none of the OS or software is accessing the platters while you're trying to defrag.