WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Do you believe in luck?

Do you believe in luck?

• Yes

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • No

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • It's karma

Votes: 8 42.1%
  • What is karma?

Votes: 2 10.5%

• Total voters

bnccoder

Postaholic
What kind of luck do you believe in? Do you believe people can change your luck? Could it be just karma?

Smoke

Banned - What an Asshat!
I don't believe in luck, nor do I believe in karma.
Luck has never gone my way, nor karma.
So I say fuck both of em.
:mfinger:
:thumbsup:

dustinzgirl

Banned - What an Asshat!
its all karma. what goes around, comes around. Thats why you should all practice abstinence and condom use.

its all karma baby. everything happens for a reason, and what dosen't kill us makes us stronger. plus i have nothing but bad luck.

Jung

???
Premium
People=Shit said:
Maybe I'm a crazy person, but it's karma. Luck is nothing to me.
Karma is just cooler sounding way of putting it.

I think both are bullshit. I do, hewever, use the term luck quite often, but it's just a generic term.

Brain Spout

Wizard No More
im going to analyze this question in several ways and ill start with the lamest so that i have a chance to redeem myself with the other ways i analyze.

basically you are argueing philosohpies. (be warned i am a SW nerd). a jedi would believe in karma:
"In my experience, there's no such thing as luck." -Obai-Wan Kenobi
however, someone like han solo who seams to have good deal of "luck" might say, and did say:
"I call it luck" -Han Solo
both of these individuals are force sensitive however han solo does not understand or know how to use his gift so his gift of limited forsight and good flying/shooting he credits to luck.
kenobi on the other hand credit these to the force. the force is hard to explain, but in my opinion it is similar to the idea of karma in several ways.

on to less nerdy arguments. my first is that luck is not real. luck is not something that is there, there is no force that rules that a certain individual will have better odds in a game of chance. luck is merely the word used to describe a situation in which one has favorable results that are unlikely. or in otherwords they seam to have good luck. it could mean the opposite as well.

karma may or may not be real. in the religion it comes from karma doesn't necesarily determine what happens on this life, but it does determine what position you take in your next life. i believe this could be possible since i never have (to my knowledge at leats), had more than one life. howver im pretty sure that karma in this life isnt real. evil people live on every day while good die. if karma existed why would expressions and phrases like "only the good die young", and "nice guys finish last" exist.

ferengi

Yay fire!
"Luck" is a real thing, however I don't believe it to be some pre-determining factor as to the outcome of a given situation. Someone's "luck" is just the pattern of fortunate or unfortunate coincidences that they've experienced. Just my :twocents:

Brain Spout

Wizard No More
where are all those posters that find the need to define words in there posts. i think this might actually be a thread where that is a very good idea.

Luck is just another way for people to explain good/bad situations, that they can not understand. Most things people construe as "luck" is nothing more than the "cause and effect" of their actions, and the actions of others, mixing together to cause uncontrollable/unexplainable situations.

Personally, I think it's just another word used to label different circumstances, making them easier to explain. ( In other words: I think "luck" is complete bullshit.)

(If this makes no sense, I apologize. It's been a long day.)

bnccoder

Postaholic
Taylor_Blade said:
Luck is just another way for people to explain good/bad situations, that they can not understand. Most things people construe as "luck" is nothing more than the "cause and effect" of their actions, and the actions of others, mixing together to cause uncontrollable/unexplainable situations.

Personally, I think it's just another word used to label different circumstances, making them easier to explain. ( In other words: I think "luck" is complete bullshit.)

(If this makes no sense, I apologize. It's been a long day.)
Somwehat of a butterfly effect?

ferengi

Yay fire!
I think for people who believe in "luck" in the conventional sense also must believe in fate to a certain extent. Both the concept of fate and luck rely on something happening for a reason. Perhaps they would even contradict each other, seeing as anyone who believes in fate would believe that everything is predetermined, while "luck" would seem to infer that a given situation depends on how lucky or unlucky you are, and can change with your luck.

I'm fucking confused now. I should go to bed. This is what I get for posting while tired.

Easty

Click click boom
luck doesnt exist. i believe in what goes around comes around. the more of a bitch that you are, the more of a bitch life will be.

karma all the way

hove420

the shocka
yea i beleive in karma, its part of my religion, but it does kinda make sense, i mean, if you do something bad or good it will come back to you 3 fold good or bad.i guess thats what i beleive