WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Fringe Do you believe in the paranormal?

Jamsie

Tenderony
Do you believe in ghosts, demonic/satanic activity, psychics, etc? I ask because today my best friend & I are going to this local palm reader/spirit guide place and it's my first time EVER going to anything of that nature, so it's a bit scary. Thought, I'm an avid believe in the supernatural (not to the point where I believe anything and everything, but I do believe in ghosts and such) and I find it extremely interesting. So, I'm also reaaaaaally excited.

The person I'm going with gave me the idea of going and acting 'straight' (because I'm gay) and asking if they see a girl in my future. See what they have to say.

ps. irrelevant, I know, but I also find it a little creepy that no one is EVER there, yet it still remains to stay opens. Bit scary.

Swah

Meet us @ IRC! Join the channel #wtfcom
Staff
Uhm, you either have an avid belief, or you are an avid believer...

To answer your question: No, I don't.

Bitch

Evil Fluffy says: I PEE IN YOUR SHOES!
Premium
Be careful going to a palm reader. If you are looking for a serious answer, then go to one that was recommended by a trusted friend. You can still get swindled, but if a friend has been through one and has not gotten scammed, then you may have better luck getting a serious answer. I heard the best thing to do when approaching a palm reader/psychic ball/tarot card reader is to have a bunch of questions in your head, but don't answer them. If she asks for money up front, hand her the cash, but never show her your wallet. Don't ask her revealing questions. If she asks what do you want to know, be vague. These are ways to tell if someone is truly a psychic or is in it for the money. Of course, there are good actors out there, so be careful, but it certainly doesn't hurt to go even if it's just for fun.

Psychics are not necessarily involved with the paranormal such as ghosts. It all depends on what kind of psychic the person is. Am I believer? I'm a careful skeptic. I believe the human mind is capable of doing things that most of us don't understand. There are super-humans out there (those that can do more than the average person), so why not psychic abilities? Savants are super-humans in a way. Savants and geniuses can be both considered super-humans. The FBI uses those with specific psychic abilities. It's just a matter of finding the ones that are real. It's easy enough to fake. When I say skeptic, I say that there's room for the unknown. I have not gone to any palm reader because I'm afraid of believing someone that is lying to me. I believe ghosts/spirits exist. I believe aliens have visited us. I'm not going on to the top of some building holding up a sign telling the aliens to bring back Elvis though. I don't obsess over this stuff. It's either real or not. All it takes is one true story/sighting and that unknown thing is real.

quarterbunny

Redneck Einstein
I and my family have had to much very real shit happen to us over the years not to believe in the supernatural. Three such moments stand out. in the 70's my mom went and lived at an old ranch bunk house, to turn the bathroom light on and off, you had to screw the bulb into the socket. so she kept the light bulb in the sink under the socket. My sister a baby at the time, woke up crying, and so my mom checked and saw she had a fever, and went to the bathroom to make a cold cloth for her head, and when she opened the bathroom door the light bulb was glowing in the sink, and then she looked up and saw an american indian woman standing there and the woman asked "Is your baby alright?" and disappeared. Mom instantly moved out, and researched the place and found the Indian woman was a cook/housekeeper there in the 1800's, and was accused of stealing and was chained to the back of a wagon and dragged to death by a posse.
When I was young I was working in my rabbit barn, and was feeding my rabbits, I kept my feed on a large metal storage shelf, well I heard the door open and looked behind me, my aunt mary was standing in the doorway *which concerned me, she had Alzheimer's, and she didn't live too far away, so thought maybe she wandered off* I walked towards her, and just as I did the storage shelf fell over, it would have crushed me if I hadn't moved. When I looked back she was gone. My cell phone rang just then, it was my mother telling me she was at the hospital with my uncle Paul, and that aunt Mary had had a stroke and died about an hour ago. I'm certain to this day that she saved me that day....even when she had forgotten everyone and everything when her mind went, she always remembered me.
Still wanting proof, I asked my grandma to do me a strange favor, I asked her to haunt me when she died, and if ghosts were really real she would have to prove it. So we came up with a plan, before she died we purchased three decorative stone eggs that sit on small pewter stands *like those Russian eggs only made of stone* we then made a mark on them with a black marker. The task was simple, if she was haunting us, just turn the eggs so the black line showed. So during the funeral my mom, sister, and I, we took the eggs and put them in the china cabinet, with the black lines to the back, the plain face forward, we then locked the cabinet with three pad locks *purchased at three different stores miles apart*, each keeping one key *I put my key on a chain and put it round my neck* We then went to bed *i didn't sleep at all, was too excited, so just tossed in the bed* The next morning the three eggs were turned black lines forward, locks still locked, *and unbeknownst to the others in the night, I went and taped a piece of dry spaghetti to the cupboard door, if it had been opened it would have snapped*
So after all that, i'm a firm believer....

NecroMantra

Hostile Entity
I don't believe in psychics who predict the future, but there are definitely people who can see ghosts, spirits, entities, etc. I am one of those people but I normally won't admit to it unless I'm really drunk and/or in an anonymous internet forum @ 3 in the morning. I've seen these entities as far as I can remember and as a kid I didn’t like visiting several places due to the crowds that no one else seemed aware of. I couldn't tell the difference between a living person and a ghost back then.

I also believe there are people who can communicate with these entities but (un)fortunately I am not one of them. The few times I've tried to speak to them, they don't acknowledge my existence. They just seem to be repeating the same task. I currently live in an old Victorian in San Francisco and there is the ghost of an elderly lady that tends to the flower bushes in the backyard. She seems happy and content. On the other hand, my neighbor's apartment contains the ghosts of a married couple that are always bickering. The few times I've visited this neighbor, I've felt a sense of sadness and dread--and not just because the guy is a gamer goth. It is possible that he is affected by their negative energy on a subconscious level as well, which would explain a lot of his behavior. Either that or he is a ghost himself because he keeps repeating the same motions i.e. bending over his keyboard, offering to "smoke me out" with his medical cannabis and complaining about his relationship problems.

Oh and my mystical third eye isn't just limited to seeing dead people. I see dead animals, too. Mainly dogs since cats, birds, hamsters, reptiles, fish, etc. hate their owners. However, be aware that they leave canine ghost shits in your shoes if you don't pay them any attention. Okay, I was kidding about that last bit but I used to volunteer at a hospital a few years ago and met this homeless possibly drug-addled blind lady who insisted that she didn't need another guide dog because her dead pooch was still leading her around. I couldn't see the dead dog though so I looked at her like she was crazy. What? It's not like she could see anyway.

Quint

Banned - What an Asshat!
So, women are believers. How cute!

I think transcendental states of consciousness are possible for certain people when completely sober. They might have wild fantasies, like dreams, that are indistinguishable from reality. Or maybe they are reality, and the person is seeing more than three dimensions.

I also think people make up a lot of wild shit to try to relate to stories they have no precedent for. In other words, I'd say most accounts of supernatural experiences by modern people are entirely fictional.

YUCK FOU!!!

Critical Update Notification Tool.
Do you believe in ghosts, demonic/satanic activity, psychics, etc? I ask because today my best friend & I are going to this local palm reader/spirit guide place and it's my first time EVER going to anything of that nature, so it's a bit scary. Thought, I'm an avid believe in the supernatural (not to the point where I believe anything and everything, but I do believe in ghosts and such) and I find it extremely interesting. So, I'm also reaaaaaally excited.

The person I'm going with gave me the idea of going and acting 'straight' (because I'm gay) and asking if they see a girl in my future. See what they have to say.

ps. irrelevant, I know, but I also find it a little creepy that no one is EVER there, yet it still remains to stay opens. Bit scary.
Pal, you couldn't act straight if you tried...

As for the paranormal, I do believe there is something. Demons and satanic activity I'm less certain. But definitely something.

Jamsie

Tenderony
So true, haha.

Anyways, so I don't know if yall are really going to care what happened, but if you do, keep reading!

So, Leahanne (my best friend) & I show up to the place, and it's actually like a house. We get to the door, and a baby is literally sitting on the other side. So, a lady in a dress, I'm not really sure her nationality but it wasn't southern (I'm from Louisiana) or even American. So, we go in and she explains to us the prices & shit. We both choose the deal where we can ask her 3 questions each.

I'm only going to tell you about my experience, but Leahanne's was just as accurate as mine, can I say.
I asked her, one: if Leahanne and I were going to remain as close as we are now, forever. Overall she said yes, which kind of was calming, but she seriously described our friendship perfectly. Also, recently my mom has voiced some negative comments about our friendship (which began when we were little because we grew up together from day one, and we have been best friends since we could talk) and has been trying to stop it. The spirit guide told me that, she said that she sensed someone was trying to get in the middle of it, and that it would happen quite a few times throughout life with different people. She also said someone against our relationship was going to come out and show remorse very soon (and you probably won't believe it, but I promise it happened. my mom came up to us at my house an hour or two after we got home, and told Leahanne that she really liked her and that she was sorry for being too harsh, and that they should start over). I also asked her about my mom and I's relationship, which she also described perfectly.

I asked her about school, and if I'd be successful in the career path I chose to go in (I want to do hair). She said yes, blah blah, and smiled and said, and I quote, "fashion or cosmetology, right?" which made me seriously freak, because I really want to be a cosmetologist, I don't know where she got fashion though. Anyways. Yeah.

quarterbunny

Redneck Einstein
So true, haha.

I asked her about school, and if I'd be successful in the career path I chose to go in (I want to do hair). She said yes, blah blah, and smiled and said, and I quote, "fashion or cosmetology, right?" which made me seriously freak, because I really want to be a cosmetologist, I don't know where she got fashion though. Anyways. Yeah.
*oh...oh God.....(laughing so hard tears are streaming down my face) oh God please, it hurts my ribs!......oh, phew pheeeeeeew.* ok now that the laughing fit has subsided......

Hunny, it don't take a rocket scientist to figure you out.....from your picture, the way you write, and the way you talk about a girl being your "Friend".....UUUURRRR GGAAAYYY!
What are common occupations *although stereotypes* for gay men, fashion and cosmetology.....no mystery there.
watch the vid, if you don't pass the test, you're freakin GAY! lmao

Jamsie

Tenderony
*oh...oh God.....(laughing so hard tears are streaming down my face) oh God please, it hurts my ribs!......oh, phew pheeeeeeew.* ok now that the laughing fit has subsided......

Hunny, it don't take a rocket scientist to figure you out.....from your picture, the way you write, and the way you talk about a girl being your "Friend".....UUUURRRR GGAAAYYY!
What are common occupations *although stereotypes* for gay men, fashion and cosmetology.....no mystery there.
watch the vid, if you don't pass the test, you're freakin GAY! lmao
So? I could wanna be a welder or some shit. The stereotype for women is what? Raising kids and never being able to leave the kitchen? Is that what you do? ;)

• 1Like
Reactions: 53V3N

gehtfuct

HuGE
Staff
As humans, there is so much of the light spectrum that we cannot see. Can you see an atom with the naked eye? No. But they do in fact exist. I don't hold much for palm readers, fortune tellers and the like. The actual "paranormal", I can't know. Beyond this physical world we live in, there are limitless possibilities. You can imagine just about anything. What's more, there is an inconceivable amount of possibilities far beyond our capability of imagination.

From the smallest particles in an atom to varying sizes of inhabitants on Earth. Look how many different forms of life there are that we can see. How can we know how far life extends beyond humans? Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. You can't have a conversation with an atom, but nevertheless, they do exist - and a literal shit-tonne. Ghosts, demons, angels, I don't know. I do know that everything we do in life is driven by some form of fear. In this case, fear helps to assume the worst in a situation where you just cannot know. Knowledge beyond human comprehension is far too great for myself or any fool on this rock to think they can EVER answer these questions. Well, unless you are dead or Elvis. Group think, he said- she said, kind of bullshit is what keeps us dumb and in our place.

The ant is king of his world. Yet, it is 99.999% impossible on ANY level for the ant to comprehend ANYTHING the human mind can imagine. There are probably billions upon billions more of ants then there are people on the planet Earth. Maybe only a handful of those ants have ever on the smallest level understood anything where human confrontation was concerned. Those handful of ants were also told that they were crazy and that humans do not exist. We confront ants every day. Yet, 99.999% of those ants are completely incapable of ever knowing that we exist along side them every minute of every day.

Maybe we are ants just the same.

Eh, what the fuck do I know.

• 1Like
Reactions: Loki-In-A-Box

jujubee

~what it is~
Premium
Palm readers/fortune tellers are notorious for picking up on your personal cues, from the jewelry you wear to the inflection in your response.:) A *lot* of gay guys are into cos, it's mundane/usual/trite.

However, I went with a friend once to a palm reader and one thing she said, creepy as fuck, was dead on.

You can assume many generalizations in a single visit though just by outward appearance, mannerisms, etc., the reader is just a good observer, if anything, imo. I think my thing was a fluke because that shit is a joke in the same way your horoscope is a one-size-fits-all obvious vague generality, a scam is right.

• 1Agree
Reactions: skroo'd

Quint

Banned - What an Asshat!
You can assume many generalizations in a single visit though just by outward appearance, mannerisms, etc., the reader is just a good observer, if anything, imo. I think my thing was a fluke because that shit is a joke in the same way your horoscope is a one-size-fits-all obvious vague generality, a scam is right.
You will travel to many interesting places this year. Your lucky numbers are: 3 8 2 17 29