WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Fringe Do you believe in the paranormal?

quarterbunny

Redneck Einstein
So? I could wanna be a welder or some shit. The stereotype for women is what? Raising kids and never being able to leave the kitchen? Is that what you do? ;)
Oh sweety I was just bustin your balls...lmao
And to answer your question, that is NOT what I do.....but have turned men I dated into my bitch and made them do it.....lol. In my opinion There are some palm readers/psychics that are legit, but they are very very rare. There is too much documentation of people with real ability to say they don't exist, but nowadays anyone can hang out a shingle and say their psychic.

• 1Like
  • 1Agree
Reactions: Loki-In-A-Box and Jamsie

steelasp

poontangwrecker
And to answer your question, that is NOT what I do.....but have turned men I dated into my bitch and made them do it.....lol. In my opinion There are some palm readers/psychics that are legit, but they are very very rare. There is too much documentation of people with real ability to say they don't exist, but nowadays anyone can hang out a shingle and say their psychic.
No. There is no documentation of anyone with real psychic ability. There is not one single scientific study that has ever found documented evidence of a single person on the planet with psychic abilities. And it's not for lack of trying. During the cold war, both the US government, and the Russians put a lot of effort into finding psychics so they could use them as weapons. They couldn't find anyone. Let me direct your attention to this link once more, since nobody payed attention the first time.
James Randi's $1,000,000 Paranormal Challenge

This man, James Randi, better known as magician "The Amazing Randi" has offered up $1,000,000 of his own money to anybody who can prove that they possess a psychic ability. That means ANY psychic can show up, participate in a scientifically controlled experiment, and walk away 1 million dollars richer. The prize has been available for 10 years, and nobody has claimed it yet. And he's not the only one out there offering money for proof. There's dozens of other big cash awards available. Not one has ever been successfully claimed. Stop talking out your ass about "documented people with real ability" There's no such fucking documentation. Shut the fuck up.

• 1Like
Reactions: skroo'd

Jamsie

Tenderony
No. There is no documentation of anyone with real psychic ability. There is not one single scientific study that has ever found documented evidence of a single person on the planet with psychic abilities. And it's not for lack of trying. During the cold war, both the US government, and the Russians put a lot of effort into finding psychics so they could use them as weapons. They couldn't find anyone. Let me direct your attention to this link once more, since nobody payed attention the first time.
James Randi's $1,000,000 Paranormal Challenge

This man, James Randi, better known as magician "The Amazing Randi" has offered up $1,000,000 of his own money to anybody who can prove that they possess a psychic ability. That means ANY psychic can show up, participate in a scientifically controlled experiment, and walk away 1 million dollars richer. The prize has been available for 10 years, and nobody has claimed it yet. And he's not the only one out there offering money for proof. There's dozens of other big cash awards available. Not one has ever been successfully claimed. Stop talking out your ass about "documented people with real ability" There's no such fucking documentation. Shut the fuck up.
You can prove your point to her without being rude. Get over yourself.

• 1ORLY?
Reactions: Quint

Jamsie

Tenderony
Are you aware of what website you are on? If someone says something retarded around here, somebody is going to tear them a new one. I was pretty nice about it compared to some others around these parts.
Touche. Though, I don't think she said anything retarded, maybe just misinformed.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Loki-In-A-Box

Spaced Man

WTFus is the Ruckus
This one time, the weather man got the weather report right. There has to be something to that.

More seriously, I believe in spirits and the effectiveness of ouija boards. Fortune teller's? Nah. Fuck destiny.

• 1Agree

quarterbunny

Redneck Einstein
No. There is no documentation of anyone with real psychic ability. There is not one single scientific study that has ever found documented evidence of a single person on the planet with psychic abilities..
:mystery:
http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...finally-discovered-evidence-psychic-phenomena
http://cornellsun.com/section/news/...ic-precognition-may-exist-cornell-study-finds

Documented..... Not only documented...but done so by a very well respected university.....With scientifically sound methods. :solved: :fail:

Combine the Cornell study with anecdotal evidence from hundreds of years= a handful of people that happen to be hypersensitive to precognition.

• 1Agree
  • 1Like
Reactions: Loki-In-A-Box and Jamsie

jujubee

~what it is~
Premium
*they're:p

YUCK FOU!!!

Critical Update Notification Tool.
Touche. Though, I don't think she said anything retarded, maybe just misinformed.
Kiddo, if you write a statement and claim it to be fact without cold hard evidence. you're not just a retard, you're a a superkalafucking massive retard who should be cut into little pieces and fed to rabid pedophiles.

Welcome to the internet.

steelasp

poontangwrecker
:mystery:
http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...finally-discovered-evidence-psychic-phenomena
http://cornellsun.com/section/news/...ic-precognition-may-exist-cornell-study-finds

Documented..... Not only documented...but done so by a very well respected university.....With scientifically sound methods. :solved: :fail:

Combine the Cornell study with anecdotal evidence from hundreds of years= a handful of people that happen to be hypersensitive to precognition.
Ok, the first link you provided takes me a to a page with a big question at the top, "Have Scientists Finally Discovered Evidence for Psychic Phenomena?"

I started to read it, and then saw a picture from the movie "Ghostbusters" and discounted it as a valid source. Besides, it's asking a question, not presenting evidence.

The Cornell study, while intriguing, does not prove that fortune tellers can really give you information about your future. 53.1% is only a tiny bit better than random chance. It's statistically significant, but barely. And I'd like to read the actual study, rather than an article interpreting the results from a clearly biased point of view. Better yet, I'd like to see the experiment reproduced and see if others get the same results.

ragingredrhinoz

Hoodrat
lol, that stuff is fake jus like firebreathing dragons... i think its away to trick people out of their well earned or not well earned money

Swah

Meet us @ IRC! Join the channel #wtfcom
Staff
lol, that stuff is fake jus like firebreathing dragons... i think its away to trick people out of their well earned or not well earned money
You might want to take a long hard look at the Literacy Clause (click that), before making more posts.
And before you say anything witty regarding part of my previous statement: Yes, I know.

• 1Agree

Loki-In-A-Box

Goddess of Tits and Wine
My bad! I'll put my two cents in then to make up for my asshattery...

I believe that there are forces in the universe that are beyond the human ability to presently comprehend properly. Perhaps someday, when or if we can become more like Dr. Mahattan in our understanding of the universe, it can be possible to truly know whether or not what we perceive to be supernatural events are just everyday events occurring on a higher dimension/plane of existence/step in the evolutionary process. (Yes, I know I just referenced a comic book character, but that's who I first thought of, so that's who I put. I'm a nerd. Eat me! :rant:) If you need it put in another way, I believe energy is what binds everything together, and whatever powers and beings that be that are utilizing that energy to perform what we consider miracles are merely higher-evolved beings going about their business with either no knowledge or no care as to how they impact our existence. Kind of like how we are with the rest of the planet that we can see. (No, Moulder, I'm not talking about aliens when I refer to these "higher beings". I'm talking about creatures that possibly live on this planet, but in a higher dimension that we as mere humans can't normally see without usually being bugged out on some of the really good shit).

I would put more on here, but first off, this post is getting bigger than I hear Ghetfuct's dick is. Secondly, I need to find some aspirin. All of this deep thinking's giving me a giant fucking headache! :faint:

Last edited by a moderator:
  • 1Face Palm
  • 1Like
Reactions: CrowFood and gehtfuct

quarterbunny

Redneck Einstein
Ok, the first link you provided takes me a to a page with a big question at the top, "Have Scientists Finally Discovered Evidence for Psychic Phenomena?"

I started to read it, and then saw a picture from the movie "Ghostbusters" and discounted it as a valid source. Besides, it's asking a question, not presenting evidence.

The Cornell study, while intriguing, does not prove that fortune tellers can really give you information about your future. 53.1% is only a tiny bit better than random chance. It's statistically significant, but barely. And I'd like to read the actual study, rather than an article interpreting the results from a clearly biased point of view. Better yet, I'd like to see the experiment reproduced and see if others get the same results.
The first link is to an article published by Psychology Today, A respected publication much like The Lancet is for physical medicine. The publishing of a story about this study in a respected medical journal shows it's notice by the Psychology community. If you read the article, you would have seen they used the Ghostbusters photo to illustrate older methods of testing psychic ability. In reference to your "Slightly better than chance" comment, I quote the article
"Second, small effect sizes are not that uncommon in psychology (and other sciences). For example, on average, the Bem studies showed an effect size of .20 (out of a possible range of 0-1). Although that is fairly small, it is as large as or larger than some well-established effects, including the link between aspirin and heart attack prevention, calcium intake and bone mass, second hand smoke and lung cancer, and condom use and HIV prevention (Bushman & Anderson, 2001). And as Cohen has pointed out, such small effect sizes are most likely to occur in the early stages of exploring a topic, when scientists are just starting to discover why the effect occurs and when it is most likely to occur."

Per the article, the amount of difference is the same as the likelihood of a condom protecting you from HIV. Alot of motherfuckers wear condoms to protect themselves from HIV.....seems pretty effective. The article also speaks of Highly consistent effect sizes. This Publication is not biased, due to the fact it is not connected with Cornell university.

The second link I provided was to an article written for The Cornell Sun, a publication produced by the university at which the study was conducted. Yes, the university wants to display this study in the best light because it is theirs, but at the same time they are close enough to the subject to get the facts right.

As I previously said, anyone can hang out a shingle saying their psychic, I don't believe that madame rose, the local gypsy palm reader is psychic....my original point was that psychic phenomenon is documented to happen, but is very rare. The Cornell study also bears out that some individuals are more sensitive than others.

And just to be completely sure you have everything you need, here is the article on the study/experiments written by Bem
http://dbem.ws/FeelingFuture.pdf

• 1Like
Reactions: jujubee