WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Fringe Do you believe in the paranormal?

steelasp

poontangwrecker
And just to be completely sure you have everything you need, here is the article on the study/experiments written by Bem
http://dbem.ws/FeelingFuture.pdf
From the first page of the study:
"The term psi denotes anomalous processes of information or energy transfer that are
currently unexplained in terms of known physical or biological mechanisms. The term is purely
descriptive; it neither implies that such phenomena are paranormal nor connotes anything about
their underlying mechanisms."

As for your comparison of the significance of the slightly higher than average results to the effectiveness of condoms at preventing HIV, statistics can be easily manipulated to seem way more significant than they actually are by stating the results in a certain way. That seems to be the case here, since condoms have been found to be 90-95% effective at blocking HIV transmission, and 53.1 != 95

quarterbunny

Redneck Einstein
From the first page of the study:
"The term psi denotes anomalous processes of information or energy transfer that are
currently unexplained in terms of known physical or biological mechanisms. The term is purely
descriptive; it neither implies that such phenomena are paranormal nor connotes anything about
their underlying mechanisms."

As for your comparison of the significance of the slightly higher than average results to the effectiveness of condoms at preventing HIV, statistics can be easily manipulated to seem way more significant than they actually are by stating the results in a certain way. That seems to be the case here, since condoms have been found to be 90-95% effective at blocking HIV transmission, and 53.1 != 95[/quote ]

:fpalm: You really need to read better.
As to your first quote, where Bem defines the term Psi; He was trying to say that he was using it as a description of things that happened that are currently outside measurement of the realm of known science. He was trying to show that it wasn't science fact....yet. hmmmm let me think, where have people put forward wild outlandish theories that everyone thought was bullshit? "The earth is round, and travels around the sun" "Disease is caused by tiny microscopic organisms called bacteria" ..... Bem was trying to show that the psi results were not paranormal, but measurable and factual, but that we hadn't yet reached a way to explain how it worked yet.....effectively saying that the psi events of his study are not science fiction, but rather, they are yet to be explained science fact.
:fpalm: Once again read completely, and comprehend fully. If you read in context you will see that the article was speaking about the initial stages of discovery....in the beginning stages of study on, if a condom protects you from HIV, they got the same p value as condom researchers did when first studying the link *p value is NOT the efficacy percentage, when you see 95% effective, that number is got to by adding the p value with a number of other factors....a statistical math equation made after all factors have information for the values to be entered* In this beginning stage of discovery, it has shown to have the same p value, as the beginning stage of discovery of the connection between condom use and protection from HIV

CrowFood

If I sow a wind now, I will reap a storm.
At some point my boyfriend was working late - so I decided to go unto Youtube and check out a show called "My Ghost Story". I watched it until the late hours of the night. I couldn't sleep for three days. -.- At first I was like: orbs, orbs, turn of your fucking flash at night you idiots! Of course you're going to see orbs. Dust orbs. Until it got to a few stories that were truly quite creepy if they happened as the people told.

I don't know if it is real. It's weird how you cannot exactly prove if it exists or not. I think there may be a balance between the physical and the theoretical. I will not say I've ever seen anything - I've only felt certain things, but that can also be scientifically justified. What happens after we die? A lot of people claim to see beautiful things including a light after near-death experiences. It has been discovered that medically induced deep sleep could apparently also conjure these sort of visualizations. So if this is a working of the brain or something unexplainable, I could not say.

Predicting the future is a dangerous phenomenon. I think a lot of 'predicting' depends on how the person reacts to it. If you believe it - you may start creating certain scenario's out of 'believing' they will happen anyway. "You're going to meet your future partner in the next year." So you are suddenly looking for a partner, talking to a lot of people - because you "know" that it is on your path. I think the only thing that can be told is the path you are heading in at a certain moment in time. If you are doing drugs or something, someone can say to you "the path you are on is of self-destruction". Or whatever.

I feel that we do have something other than a body. Perhaps a soul. I most certainly hope so.

• 1Like
Reactions: Loki-In-A-Box

steelasp

poontangwrecker
What happens after we die? A lot of people claim to see beautiful things including a light after near-death experiences. It has been discovered that medically induced deep sleep could apparently also conjure these sort of visualizations. So if this is a working of the brain or something unexplainable, I could not say.
It has been found that in the final moments of life, the human body manufactures a hefty dose of DMT. That's all the explanation I need for the "near death experience" phenomenon.

• 1Like
Reactions: CrowFood

Quint

Banned - What an Asshat!
It has been found that in the final moments of life, the human body manufactures a hefty dose of DMT. That's all the explanation I need for the "near death experience" phenomenon.
I have heard this before, though I have not seen it confirmed by any credible sources (just Joe Rogan). It is also hypothesized that DMT may play a role during REM sleep. However, having smoked about 6 grams worth of DMT in my lifetime (no tiny amount), I can tell you first hand that waking up in the morning feels nothing like coming off of DMT. That's too bad, too. It would save me a few bowls that I smoke every morning. ;)

Rick Strassman was the one who formed this theory. While I would consider him a credible source, though probably biased, I haven't seen him present this theory as absolute fact. Again, just Joe Rogan.

All of my experience tells me that an NDE would not be a peaceful event where your dead relatives welcome you to heaven with open arms, if DMT was responsible. Seems more likely you'd encounter the mantis people in a situation that made no sense, before coming back to reality with very poor memory recall.