WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines DoJ Cracking Down on P2P

voiceofreason

Seeker of Truth
If this were a Hollywood movie, the federal lawman would be played by an A-list actor. But in the real world, the marshal displays only the familiar, everyman face of U.S. Attorney General John D. Ashcroft, while the film might be a bootleg copy swapped illegally online.

The Justice Department is targeting operations that illegally trade music, movies and other copyrighted material over peer-to-peer networks, joining Hollywood and congressional lawmakers in the battle against digital piracy. The probe comes at the same time that the recording industry is ramping up its fight to stem the tide of illegal song-swapping, slapping 744 people with lawsuits for alleged copyright infringement. (Meanwhile, Ashcroft is expected to provide more details today about efforts by state and federal law enforcement officials to crack down on spammers and online scam artists.)

Yesterday, Ashcroft unveiled "what he called the first federal law-enforcement action targeting distribution of copyrighted materials over so-called peer-to-peer networks. Mr. Ashcroft said five homes and one Internet-services provider, or ISP, were raided in a probe of networks organized to distribute massive quantities of copyrighted movies, music, software, games and other materials over the Internet," the Wall Street Journal noted in its coverage. In his statement, Ashcroft said the action sends a "clear message to online thieves who steal the hard work and innovation of others. ... You can pay the fair value for music, movies, software and games like every other consumer, or you can pay an even higher price when you are caught committing online theft."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I feel so much better, how about you?

God knows, people sharing songs and movies on the internet is the Most pressing criminal scourge we face in the world today.

I'm willing to let ALL the terrorist roam free, so long as a 14 year old girl in Indiana doesn't get a free copy of Britany's "Opps I did it again".

Ashcroft must wake up every morning look in the mirror and say "I am such a tool"...

The_DEAL

FAILING @FAILING!
VOR said:
I feel so much better, how about you?

God knows, people sharing songs and movies on the internet is the Most pressing criminal scourge we face in the world today.

Ashcroft must wake up every morning look in the mirror and say "I am such a tool"...
hey i do that (all of the above)

Descent

Hella Constipated
THIS IS A FUCKING OUTRAGE!

It just goes to show that America has become the most corrupt first world nation on the planet. Way to go, Bush.

I WILL NEVER, EVER, EVER PAY FOR MUSIC! NONE OF THESE PUSSIES ARE GOING TO STOP ME EITHER, I'M SETTING UP A PROXY SERVER!

FUCK AMERICA

The_DEAL

FAILING @FAILING!
jstager said:

It just goes to show that America has become the most corrupt first world nation on the planet. Way to go, Bush.

I WILL NEVER, EVER, EVER PAY FOR MUSIC! NONE OF THESE PUSSIES ARE GOING TO STOP ME EITHER, I'M SETTING UP A PROXY SERVER!

FUCK AMERICA
lol

Descent

Hella Constipated
You think this is a laughing matter? I beg to differ. This crappy country can kiss my ass! The standards are set so low here...

I can't wait until November.

The_DEAL

FAILING @FAILING!
jstager said:
You think this is a laughing matter? I beg to differ. This crappy country can kiss my ass! The standards are set so low here...

I can't wait until November.
why? BTW when the proxys done letme know

Descent

Hella Constipated
Yeah, I'm asking Max to help me out with the proxy...I wanna set the fucker up so that the DoJ, RIAA, and MPAA can kiss my fucking ass.

Anyone who tries to the down the geeks' freewheeling culture shall be exterminated with the wrath of a thousand l33t beings, and h4xx0rz.

HEY, LETS ALL HACK THE DoJ's COMPUTERS AND SHOW THEM WHO'S BOSS!

Descent

Hella Constipated
Are you in need of some free music? There is a free legal alternative. It turns out there is a way against the DoJ's evil plans.

It's called StreamRipper. It records MP3's from internet radio stations, and is incredibly easy to use. It uses Winamp Shoutcast to find the stations, and can easily rip audio from other stations that are nopt listed by inputting the stations IP address.

It's 100% legal and free. It's just like recording your favorite music from radio to cassete, except much better.

http://streamripper.sourceforge.net/

It's available for Windows and Linux, so all you Linux users won't feel left out.

</rant>

Tenderony
That es5 is supposed to be anonymous.

Something I used to do was go to the shop, buy 10 CDs, rip them, take them back and exchange them for another ten. The downside is you need the hundred odd quid to start doing it. Plus the staff get a bit suss, best if you have a mate working there.

This ones a much better scam.. Go to one of those bargain CD shops that sells current CDs for a fiver. Check what they are selling and see how much it costs in the big store. Buy it for a fiver and return it to the other shop for £15 worth of vouchers.

</rant>

betrayed

Banned - What an Asshat!
Originally Posted by jstager

FUCK AMERICA
Soooo BASICALLY you don't want to follow the law? Hell I know I don't but jesus man it's just something you get away with its not like its a way to live, your supposed to pay for music, bottom line. We're lucky enough to have so many P2P programs so when one gets shut down by the government, we move on to the next one, but thats how its going to be. Just because they crack down on certain ones is because people like us don't want to pay.. What I'm just trying to say is, our country is not corrupt because these agencies are shutting these down for the good of the law..

gehtfuct

HuGE
Staff
</rant> said:
That es5 is supposed to be anonymous.

Something I used to do was go to the shop, buy 10 CDs, rip them, take them back and exchange them for another ten. The downside is you need the hundred odd quid to start doing it. Plus the staff get a bit suss, best if you have a mate working there.

This ones a much better scam.. Go to one of those bargain CD shops that sells current CDs for a fiver. Check what they are selling and see how much it costs in the big store. Buy it for a fiver and return it to the other shop for £15 worth of vouchers.

</rant>
Nope..Here in the YOU ASS of EH!...once you open the CD,it's yours..forever!..

Yeah,all this Mickey Mouse copyright bs,is that Metallifucker Lars' fuck up.

</rant>

Tenderony
gehtfuct said:
Nope..Here in the YOU ASS of EH!...once you open the CD,it's yours..forever!..
The second one might work if you dont open it :]

Havent done them for years though, I think just as I stopped trying it on the shops changed their policies. No reciept, no chance. And they wern't swayed by, "My mum got me it for my brithday and I have it already."

</rant>

Descent

Hella Constipated
gehtfuct said:
Metallifucker Lars
Even thinking about this gets me pissed off. Metallica not only has no talent, but no brain as well. I hope Lars dies in some kind of freak accident, so the whole band will die out. They are all weak and pathetic.

Did you hear their interview? They said:

"We don't care when our fans buy our twenty dollar CD's, or our $30 dollar promotional T-shirts. We love it when they pay $80 to go to one of our concerts. But when our fans go and download our music for free, they just crossed the line."

Way to go you fucking assholes! Not only did you shut out thousands of fans by suing them, but you showed the whole fucking world that all you care about is money, not your "beloved" fans.

DOWN WITH THE RIAA/METALLICA/MPAA/DoJ!