WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Gaming Doom 3 to Hit Stores August 5

BRiT

CRaZY
Founder
IT'S DONE!!!!!!!

Yes, this is the official word that DOOM 3 has been code released and has been approved for manufacturing! It won't be long now until the anticipation ends and the PH34R begins ;-) We literally just hung up with Activision and have confirmed that our latest release candidate has been mutually approved and is finally GOLD. Thanks to everyone for their patience (yeah right! =) and for everyone at id, Activision and our numerous partners for helping us create what I believe is absolutely the best game we have ever made.

So, the next question is release dates. Retailers in the States will be allowed to pick up games starting at 12:01 AM on August 3rd. The official street date is actually August 5th in the U.S.A., but some of your favorite stores will probably have it early for those of you who have to have it first. Check with your local retailer for that information.

Internationally, the game will take a few more days to make it to the store shelves. The UK will probably get it first, on or about August 6th. Everywhere else will probably be Friday, August 13th (que Twilight Zone Theme) or close to that date, with just a few exceptions (e.g. Russia and Poland). This isn't because we don't have love for you folks outside the U.S., but the localization and manufacturing process takes a bit longer outside the U.S. where we will have JVC run 24/7 to get the units built. I guess the European manufacturers prefer to give their employees nights and weekends off. Go figure!

The champagne is flowing here at id and smiles abound!

http://www.shacknews.com/finger/?fid=toddh@idsoftware.com

Jason

Voorhees a jolly good fellow!
Founder
I can't wait, my PC is revved and ready for Doom 3 and anything else for a while after. :D Bring it on!

Skorch

Destroyer of worlds
Brit, are you quoting an article or do you actually work at id? Not that I doubt the validity of the great news, I'm just curious.

BRiT

CRaZY
Founder
I was quoting the news announcement via .plan update of the CEO of id Software, Todd Hollenshead. It's linked at the end of the post.

Back then, I was too tired to post up my thoughts on the upcoming sure-to-be mega-hit game.

Even though my system will likely do well on the game, I'm likely to upgrade it in the fall. I feel so out of the loop since I don't have an AMD 64bit cpu or an ATI X800 XT or Nvidia 6800 Ultra.

Captain 151

Seeped in a dry Merlot
last game i played like that was wolfenstien 3D. Ah yes, to be young again.

BRiT

CRaZY
Founder

BRiT

CRaZY
Founder
Just watched the new smaller trailer, which is DiVX encoded avi. I hope the game turns out to be as much fun as it looks to be. I'm really digging the Plasma Gun effects as well as the BFG effects!

To help some of you out, to view the smaller trailer you will need a DiVX player. You can find DiVX 5.2 here: http://www.divx.com/divx/windows/ .

But first, you need to extract the divx file (avi) from the compressed file. You can find WinRAR here: http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm

Jason

Voorhees a jolly good fellow!
Founder
I'm sooooo stoked. :)

Descent

Hella Constipated
OH YEAH! IT'S DONE! I'M SO FUCKING HAPPY!

I have been waiting for this game more than any other game in my life...

This thing better run well on my rig...mine is middle-end.

Too bad the demo will be released afterwards, because I can't afford to buy the game! Thanks, Seagate! If your fucking drive didn't die on me, I would have had enough money to buy Doom 3! Oh, well.

Ooooo...Doom 3 is going to shit all over HL2. I'm getting a free copy of HL2 (Thanks, ATI!), but I don't know if it will get played much, because Doom 3 will be the best game ever! That would be cool if it actually surpasses the original Doom...

Shit, I'm stoked...

Does anyone here know if Doom 3 runs off DirectX 9 or OpenGL? I was just wondering, because I heard somewhere that Carmack switched platforms...I played the Alpha, and I know for a fact that ran off OpenGL. I'm hoping it runs off OpenGL, because it is so much faster than DX9. I'm really glad that my card supports OpenGL 2.0...That would be kick ass if he programmed the game in the beta version of OpenGL 2.0. It's so much faster than DX 9, my card would ace it!

BRiT

CRaZY
Founder
The Alpha, *cough* leaked and stolen *cough*, was very much a work in progress and is not representative of the final product. It's been in continued development since then. Carmack, as always, has used OpenGL for his rendering platform of choice. As far as speed, the two (DirectX and OpenGL) perform about the same when tasked to do equal work.

However, nearly all windows-based games make use of Direct-X for other items, such as Direct-Input for basic keyboard/mouse/controller input. There is also Direct-Audio for the sound aspects. Even though alternatives exist for both, I haven't seen too many widely used, such as OpenAL for audio.

Descent

Hella Constipated
Yeah, just for the record, the Alpha was built off a modded Quake 3 engine.

Saying that OpenGL and DirectX perform the same with equal work is incorrect. What you are seeing is companies like Crytek and Epic Games who use Direct3D, optimize it for Direct3D, then make OpenGL drivers later so that you can run it on Linux or MacOS.

When optimized for OpenGL, games perform much better, mainly because OpenGL's set of instructions are less complicated and put less load on the GPU when rendering.

BRiT

CRaZY
Founder
I, and a ton of other developers beg to differ on that. A game can run as well using DirectX as it can for OpenGL given the same level of effort. OpenGL does have a benefit of exposing vendor-specific extensions that are more closely catered to the exact chip specifics. However, it is a well known fact that ATI's OpenGL driver is not as well tuned as Nvidia's OpenGL driver. ATI, through the hireing of ex-DEC compiler engineers, is in the process of rewriting their OpenGL driver to be as effecient as their DirectX drivers. Check out the 3D Architecture and other forums of Beyond3D for some additional information.

Anyways, Doom 3 and HL2 are both going to kick some major ass... Now if only Duke Nukem Forever would come out sometime this decade.

BRiT

CRaZY
Founder
Less than two weeks away...

Now if only the newer video cards would be readily available. Is anyone else going to upgrade their system to enjoy Doom 3?

Descent

Hella Constipated
OH YEAH! I'M UPGRADING MY SYSTEM!

I'm getting an AMD Athlon XP 2800+ or the new AMD Sempron 3100+...whichever one is the better value. The Sempron has not launched yet, it launches on August 17th...

If only my OCed Duron could handle the latest games...if only...

Also, I feel that Duke Nukem forever will be fucking sick if it is ever released. I love Duke! For those of you who need to play Duke Nukem, check this out:

http://jonof.edgenetwork.org/buildport/duke3d/

THE DUKE NUKEM 3D WINDOWS PORT! IT HAS OPENGL ACCELERATION AND LOTS OF COOL SHIT! JUST WHIP OUT YOUR OLD DUKE NUKEM 3D CD (or download the shareware version) AND FRAG AWAY!

It's one of my all-time favorite programs.

RGN-dRaGoN

Chaos Dragon
ShiT i gotta upgrade my video card, freking 64 bit nvidia, thas gotta go, time to get a wildcat :D, yea pft, right, maybe ill just setle 4 a 128 radeon 9800 i think that should be fine.

Descent

Hella Constipated
Buy a Radeon 9700 Pro. They perform only about 4% worse then a Radeon 9800 Pro and cost a shitload less....You can get one on Newegg for about $180...

If your CPU is below 2.6GHz (Or an AMD 2600+) I would recommend upgrading that too...that way you will get much more performance for todays latest, most demanding games.

Al Caponeoni

Angry Italian
I remember the good ol' days of Doom and Doom 2. . .

Does anyone remember the end of Doom 2 (It might of been 1, not sure), where the bunny rabbit's head is on the pike?

So, how does that story evolve into this one?

:D

EDIT: Oh my God, finally, someone who is a Duke Nukem fanatic! ! ! !

That game kicked major ass when it was released. I especially like the strippers. . . .:D

And when he took a shit in that aliens head? Awesome.

:)