WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Discuss Draft!?

Pachyderm

I really did.
So I don't have an artical for you, I am not even sure where this comes from, so I don't know all the details. I have been hearing this around school and I wanted to know what everyone's input was. There is a bill in the house waiting to be signed or approved announcing a draft?? This is outrageous.. We have the largest standng army and we are technologically advanced in the art of weaponry and what not, so why would we need a draft? There is no end in sight for this war aparently. It's funny, I thought we were in the middle of "clean up" where there wasn't a need for half of America's people to be over in a Iraq. I also heard that it's sorta on the DL/ or wont be signed or approved until Bush (IF) gets re elected. Is this what pro bush people are voting for?? No money for anything else but war, no attention for anything else... it's hopeless.. What would this draft entail? Both men and woman are elected? no students? what?? Some one please inform me...

DanGeo23

Resident Conservative
its not true... there was a proposal (by the Democrats) to introduce a bill that would reinstate the draft... this was a political ploy and another example of class warfare.. their idea was to make the middle/lower classes despise the upper class more... how this would work is... the Republicans vote down the bill... the dems then come back with... "see they don't want their kids sent" while they try to portray military members as people with no other options cause they are poor or disadvantaged.... making it seem as though the rich send the poor kids to war while keeping their own kids at home...

pissoff

i'm a 3d love goddess!
DanGeo23 said:
its not true... there was a proposal (by the Democrats) to introduce a bill that would reinstate the draft... this was a political ploy and another example of class warfare.. their idea was to make the middle/lower classes despise the upper class more... how this would work is... the Republicans vote down the bill... the dems then come back with... "see they don't want their kids sent" while they try to portray military members as people with no other options cause they are poor or disadvantaged.... making it seem as though the rich send the poor kids to war while keeping their own kids at home...

i would like to point out that the bill was co-sponsored by a republican,

and hey, guess what???? the selective service has just appropriated 20,000 new jobs. they don't do that unless something is up. and yeah, the congressmen don't want their kids to go, no one does. that's perfectly acceptable. but as usual they're all to willing to let other poor minority children go in place of their rich white children. and since the draft seems likely to start back up, i'm sure all the congressmen are getting their childrens' exemptions filed. let's see what we can come up with, "had other priorities," "was a chickenshit chickenhawk," "paid a black man to do it for him," etc.

and on another note, to the first post on this thread, actually we don't have the largest standing army in the world, i believe (though i may be mistaken) that that honor belongs to one of our good friends north korea or china. which makes me wonder, where is the highest defense budget in the world going? funny how that happens.

Pachyderm

I really did.
At any rate, I'll be the first to admit that I am dodging the draft. Fuck that, I'd rather go to jail. And Dan Geo, why is it that I am hearing rumors that if GW wins again that HE is going to sign the bill? Wouldn't that make it so a republican made us all go into the draft?

TwisT

Hooked on Rocks!
Pachyderm said:
At any rate, I'll be the first to admit that I am dodging the draft. Fuck that, I'd rather go to jail. And Dan Geo, why is it that I am hearing rumors that if GW wins again that HE is going to sign the bill? Wouldn't that make it so a republican made us all go into the draft?
I heard the same. FUCK the draft!

MaxPower

You're my number two
Staff
I'm a bit chilly. Fuck the draft

DanGeo23

Resident Conservative
pissoff said:
I looked around and found a list of co-sponsors but didn't find a Republican... I did find that Sen. Chuck Hagel (R-Neb.) made comments prodraft for everyone... but he is coming from a completely different angle... “...our citizens to understand the intensity and depth of challenges we face.” the others are attempting to use it as class/race warfare...
H.R. 163 has 14 co-sponsors, including Reps. Neil Abercrombie (D-Hawaii), Donna M. Christensen (D-Va.), John Conyers Jr. (D-Mich.), Alcee L. Hastings (D-Fla.), John Lewis (D-Ga.), James P. Moran (D-Va.), Fortney “Pete” Stark (D-Calif.) Corrine Brown (D-Fla.), William Lacy Clay (D-Mo.), Elijah E. Cummings (D-Md.), Sheila Jackson-Lee (D-Texas.), Jim McDermott (D-Wash.), Eleanor Holmes Norton (D-D.C.), and Nydia M. Velazquez (D-N.Y.).
pissoff said:
the selective service has just appropriated 20,000 new jobs
on the same article it pointed out that there were 21,000 jobs at the local level and appeals level that they are trying to fill with the SS... But when I looked for a more credible site I couldn't find one.. the site didn't have any links or sources to back up its claim so I dunno how much I believe it.. so if you find a better one I'd be interested to read it..
pissoff said:
willing to let other poor minority children go in place of their rich white children.
way to go.. way to continue to spew class/race warfare... the military is completely voluntary... the military is the ultimate example of what affirmative action was meant to be... that is.. race is not an issue in regards to staffing/hiring/promoting... people sign up for the military and are either rejected or accepted... race/religion/creed/ethnic background.. are non-issues... they don't care .. race/religion etc... doesn't determine how well you will do your job...
pissoff said:
where is the highest defense budget in the world going?
not all of the military budget goes to wages for the soldiers.. it also goes toward maintaining a technological upper hand on other countries.. it goes to the best/most realistic training possible... to ensure troop readiness... which inturn saves lives if troops are placed in hostile zones...
pachy said:
Dan Geo, why is it that I am hearing rumors that if GW wins again that HE is going to sign the bill?
well I guess I would ask if you believe all rumors you hear... and if you ever consider the source... peoples opinions/rumors aren't always based on facts...
pachy said:
Wouldn't that make it so a republican made us all go into the draft?
well yes it would... if GWB signs it then he would bear some responsability for it... but so would the senators... there are other branches of government that legislation goes through...
Max said:
I'm a bit chilly. Fuck the draft
*hands coat* *Hands bottle of Rum and 2liter of Coke* but you have to share the Rum...

R

RedOctober

Sorry, but it makes me laugh a lot!
You send your boys on patrol in Iraq, but don't want to be engaged yourself?

What a GREAT NATION!

Helleluyah!

When are you fuckers grown up or something!?

The whole idea of a war in Iraq was completely NUTS!
You can tell that to the dickhead in the Whitehouse!

Pachyderm

I really did.
RedOctober, I don't know why it is inconveniencing you to think so lightly, but you seem to forget that America is not just made up of one group of like minded groups, we are the "melting pot" nation, a nation filled with unique INDIVIDUALS. Just because our president has gone to war with a country and some INDIVIDUALS agree with it, doesn't mean that we all agree with it. In your post it seems as though you are trying to point out a hypocritical America, while some of this is true, it lies only in an INDIVIDUAL mind frame.
We all know by now that I do not support the war, so in turn if I say I will not go into a draft and I do not support it, it does not make me a hypocrite, in fact, it just reiterates the fact that I don't support the war. Are you still following me, or do you need a further break down?
One reason why I like DanGeo so much is that he offers a different point of view (one that I may or may not agree with) and backs it up with facts and resources. One reason why I do not like you is that you spam through the whole site spewing verbal vomit about America and how it has inconvenienced you with opinions and half truthes.

DanGeo23

Resident Conservative
RedOctober said:
You send your boys on patrol in Iraq, but don't want to be engaged yourself?
well sir.. I am currently in the US Army Reserves... I have spent 8 years as a soldier in one capacity or another... 4 of which was spent with the First Cav. Div. as a Tanker... I know you don't care.. but .. maybe you shouldn't assume whom wouldn't "engage" themselves...

Pachy said:
...DanGeo so much is that he offers a different point of view
exactly.. thank you for the kind words... I enjoy a good debate on things... and if I cannot back up an opinion.. then maybe I have the wrong opinion... I have been wrong once before.. ;) ... but if we all thought the same... then someone wouldn't be thinking..

dustinzgirl

Banned - What an Asshat!
pissoff said:

and hey, guess what???? the selective service has just appropriated 20,000 new jobs. they don't do that unless something is up. and yeah, the congressmen don't want their kids to go, no one does. that's perfectly acceptable. but as usual they're all to willing to let other poor minority children go in place of their rich white children. and since the draft seems likely to start back up, i'm sure all the congressmen are getting their childrens' exemptions filed. let's see what we can come up with, "had other priorities," "was a chickenshit chickenhawk," "paid a black man to do it for him," etc.

and on another note, to the first post on this thread, actually we don't have the largest standing army in the world, i believe (though i may be mistaken) that that honor belongs to one of our good friends north korea or china. which makes me wonder, where is the highest defense budget in the world going? funny how that happens.

Chinese army does not get paid like our military does. If they want too, they can flood us.

And i think any kind of draft is just bull shit unless we are under direct attack from an army we can not overcome.

R

RedOctober

DanGeo23 said:
well sir.. I am currently in the US Army Reserves... I have spent 8 years as a soldier in one capacity or another... 4 of which was spent with the First Cav. Div. as a Tanker... I know you don't care.. but .. maybe you shouldn't assume whom wouldn't "engage" themselves...
Well.. We have the same problem.
We don't have a draft also, and from that moment on, the government is going nuts! They send soldiers to every goddamn shitheap in the world to take care of nice jobs for politicians they want to get out of the country for political reasons.
My earlier posting was somewhat sarcastic. ;)

I know the American people don't support Bush.
Especially when their own son comes home in a box.

R

RedOctober

dustinzgirl said:
Chinese army does not get paid like our military does. If they want too, they can flood us.

And i think any kind of draft is just bull shit unless we are under direct attack from an army we can not overcome.
First... The Chinese will never be able to flood the USA.
That's bullshit! Even American citizens have weapons enough to grind a Chinese invasion to a halt.

Second.. A professional army is always busy creating it's own future.
Politicians will always try to gain power by getting the army as a support of their politics. It is as old as the "Commentarii de Bello Gallico" of Gaius Julius Caesar.