WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Dragon's Flame

A hooded figure sat astride the back of a sleek, brown mare on the top of a grassy hill. In every direction all that could be seen was the slopes of similar hills underneath a dome of azure. A gentle breeze kept the temperature comfortable and made the rider's cloak stir. The sun hung directly overhead. The rider kept the horse still with slim legs whose muscles were clearly defined by dark brown leggings. One slender hand held the reins, which the rider normally did without, while the other rested placidly on the neck of the horse. The rider wore a forest green cloak over a black tunic.

The rider stirred as a figure appeared on the top of a distant hill. A few minutes later the newcomer met the waiting rider. "Allia?" the newcomer qestioned.

Allia bowed her head in recognition. "You have something for me?"

The newcomer nodded and reached into the saddlebag behind him. He pulled out an orb that glowed red and emanated a power so strong Allia feared it would be sensed miles away despite her precautions. "I had Mikhail put the spells on it that you requested."

Allia took the orb and quickly put it into her own saddlebag. "Good. Let us hope Duncan has not caught wind of this discovery."

"Indeed, My Lady. It would prove quite disastrous to the kingdom if the Dragon's Flame fell into his hands."

"Yes, it would. Now, be gone. We have dawdled here long enough."

He bowed and rode off in the direction from which he had arrived. Allia's gaze followed him for a moment. Then she patted her mare's neck and nudged it with her knees. Allia rode in the opposite direction from her visitor. She rode until she reached the town of Lornian at dusk. As she passed the local tavern The King's Barn she was stopped by one of the king's guard. She pulled back her hood to reveal an elegant, pale face set with eyes the color of sapphires and framed by wispy tendrils of blond that had come loose from her braid during the ride. "The king is inside waiting for you, Lady Allia," the guard informed her.

Allia frowned. "Very well. Where is your captain, Gustav?"

"Ill, My Lady."

"I am sorry to hear that. I wished to speak with him. When he is better then," Allia said and swept past the red and gold clad guards.

_Kitana_

Angel of Death
The newcomer nodded and reached into the saddlebag behind him.
I only noticed one typo. However the story has a great start to it, leading you into the heat of things. You give a good description and detail of the chars and what is going around them. It is interesting how you left the reader wanting to know more about what is going on. Great way to began any story.

I will try to reread through again to see if I notice anything else.

DIZNUTS

Ñúñ'§ þêG £ègGéÐ /\/\å±ëý
gettin much much better Tiger(in bed and in story telling) :thumbsup:

DIZNUTS said:
gettin much much better Tiger(in bed and in story telling) :thumbsup:
Hey, I was always good, you're just finally learning. j/k. Oh yeah, we're going to have to end it. Fire_ze_Missles and I are going to get e-married.
Stay tuned for part II of the story.

Continuation

He didn't even attempt to disguise himself, the fool, Allia thought angrily. And only one bodyguard! He's going to get himself killed. At least he's wearing normal clothes and not wearing the crown. Thank the heavens for small favors.

The king sat in the middle of the tavern wearing dark red and brown riding clothes. He still wore the crest of the royal family on a chain around his neck and the ring with his symbol, the rearing centaur. Shoulder-length raven colored hair flecked with gray framed a face worn from battles long past. Hazel eyes searched the room constantly alert. He still held his broad shoulders with the pride appropriate to a king. His strong hands held a stein of the tavern’s best ale.

Allía strode across the tavern, nodding briefly at the owner whom she knew. He was a portly man with a big smile and a round, balding head. His blue eyes gleamed with pleasure whenever he laughed. He always wore black leggings and a white tunic with the sleeves rolled up to his elbows whenever he worked. He was one of the few people these days that Allía could call a friend. Right now he was deep in conversation with a fellow at the bar that she did not give more attention than a glance in passing. She sat down across from the king. “You took great risk in coming here, Your Majesty,” Allía said, motioning for a drink.

“I was not aware that a law was passed allowing for subjects to rebuke their king,” King Milan responded mildly.

Allía frowned. “I am not one of your subjects. I have no leader that I am required to answer to. Need I remind you that I advise you for the sake everyone, not just your people?”

Before Milan could reply the owner came over with Allía’s drink. “It has been a long time since you have graced my tavern with your presence, my lady.” He beamed and set the drink down.

“It is good to see you again, Maxwell. How’s your wife?” Allía asked, taking a sip of the ale.

“Oh, she’s doing just fine. She has been asking about you. I’m sure she would love for you to visit us at home.”

“I’ll be sure to do that as soon as I get a chance,” Allía said, patting him on the arm.

Maxwell grinned again and left the two of them to their drinks. Milan smiled slightly. “I must not have done too badly since he did not bow.”

“Max knows better than to draw attention to any of my companions. I don’t know how you managed to sneak in without being noticed, but you must not try it again. Let us thank the heavens you were so lucky. Now, what was so important that you felt you had to meet me here instead of sending for me to come to the palace?”

“I wish to discuss my son Rand. He has a habit of slipping away from his bodyguards.”

“He is a teenager now, Your Majesty. He is liable to do that to get some privacy.”

“That may be, but with times the way they are I would prefer he had someone with him who would not be so easily lost.”

“That is true. I am sure Duncan would like nothing better than to have your only son slain so there would be no heir to the throne.”

“Yes, and I know who I want to take the job of protecting him.”

“Who might that be?”

“You, Allía. Who better than an elf to keep an eye on my son?”

“I’m only half-elf. Also, I’m trying to get accepted back into my home, not give the Council even more reason to hate me. If they find out that I’m playing bodyguard to your son they will never accept me back into the community.” Although, what’s hidden in my saddlebag would also do the trick of ruining my chances completely if they found it. Allía thought sardonically.

“So, you don’t tell them. I can’t order you to do this, but I am begging you. Do me this one favor, and you will be aptly rewarded.”

“I have no need for your rewards.”

“Perhaps free access to the lands beyond Macian would change your mind.”

Allía’s eyes widened and her lips parted. The lands beyond Macian had been forbidden to all people after the Macian Wars. The king kept guards around the lands to keep people from entering them. The lands were made up completely of wilderness. No man had been given the chance to destroy the lands in any way. It was the dream of every elf to run through those lands, sing to the trees, and talk to the animals. Half-elves felt the same longing to be in nature that full-blooded elves felt. Allía especially felt this calling. “Make the access free to all elves and you have yourself a deal, Your Majesty,” Allía said firmly.

“Done. Now that that’s settled, any word on Duncan?”

“None, Sire. My people have had difficulty catching wind of any news lately.”

“So have mine. I worry, Allía. How can we guard against an attack that we don’t know is coming?”

We can’t is what she thought, but what she said as she stood to leave was, “Don’t worry, Your Majesty. We’ll figure something out. In the meantime, I have had a long day and need rest. I will be at your palace at sunrise, ready to guard your son. Let the heavens shine down on you and protect you until our next meeting.”

“And you, My Lady.”

Continuation

Allía rode deeper into the town until she reached the inn where she was staying. She took the saddlebags off of the horse and carried them to her room. She lit the lanterns and set the bags on the sole chair in the room. She was weary, yes, but there would be no rest for her tonight. She stood by the window, staring out at the night and the stars. She glanced once around the barren room, being careful to avoid looking at the bags. The temptation to pull the Dragon’s Flame out and look at it was overwhelming. If she could figure out how it worked. . .No! I need to figure out how to destroy it before anyone can get a hold of it and misuse it, she admonished herself. A tap on the door disturbed her reverie. “Come in,” she called, putting a hand on the sword at her hip.

She smiled in relief to see the dark headed elf who stepped through the doorway. His dark eyes glanced over her concernedly. “Nihaïl, Elendi. You weren’t supposed to come until tomorrow. Is something wrong?” Allía greeted him.

“I was worried about you. Arlenin said you went off today without telling anyone where you were going. What happened?”

“I had to meet a friend. Look in there,” she answered, gesturing at the saddlebags.

When he saw the Dragon’s Flame his eyes widened. “You found it?”

“The friend I met today found it and gave it to me after having Mikhail put concealing spells on it. No, leave it in there,” she said as he started to take it out of the bag. “It’s so powerful; I’m not sure how well the spells worked. It’s better to be safe than sorry.”

Elendi closed the bag and strode across the room to embrace her. She welcomed his strong arms around her. “It has been too long, Allía. I heard about the Council banning you. I will try to make them reconsider their decision. Until then you’re going to have to stay here where I can reach you.”

“You sound so sure that you will be able to convince them.”

“You are not guilty of the crime. They will have to see it. I will make them see it.”

“Do you even know of what they have accused me?” Allía asked, searching his determined, strong face.

“It does not matter. You could not have done it,” he said earnestly. His chin stood out as he clenched his jaw stubbornly.

Allía sighed and stepped out of his embrace. “They have accused me of conspiring with the humans. And I am guilty to a degree, though not as strongly as they assume.”

“What?” he asked his face frozen in shock.

“I’m trying to think of what’s best for everybody in this war that will soon start. I don’t understand it. The Council knows that the elves will have to fight in this war to protect their lands, but they refuse to work with the humans who also have to fight this battle. I was trying to build bridges between the two races.”

“Elves work with humans? It is preposterous,” Elendi said scornfully. “Why do you insist on aiding the human king?”

Allía regarded him coolly. “Do you forget I am half human? Do you feel this attitude towards me?”

Elendi appeared abashed. “Of course I don’t! Forgive me, you grew up with the elves and it is often hard to remember that you are partly human. This is one of the first times I have seen you act based on your human side. I was not expecting it. I was wrong to say what I did.”

Allía sighed. “I was afraid of this.”

“Afraid of what?”

She sat on the bed and looked at him, trying to build up her courage to say what she knew would have to be said some time. Was that fear in his dark eyes? Did he know what she was about to say? Is that what was making him afraid? She looked down, fearing those eyes would weaken her in her resolve. “I can’t marry you, Elendi,” she said tremulously.

He sat on the bed next to her. “Why not? Is this because of what I said? I truly am sorry. I didn’t mean it.” He took her hands in one of his and lifted her chin to make her look at him. She had been his companion since childhood and the love of his life since he didn’t know when. She was his strength, his other half. He could not lose her now. “Whatever it is we can work it out. What do you want of me? Anything you ask I’ll do it. Please, mileï,” he begged.

“You did mean what you said, but I don’t hold it against you. I knew my human half would come between us at some point.”

“No, Allía. It doesn’t matter to me if you are half human. I love you no matter what. There has to be some way to convince you.”

Allía got an idea then. She smiled slightly. “There is one way.”

“Name it.”

“I agreed to guard Prince Rand in return for free access to the lands beyond Macian for all elves. I want you to help me with that.”

Elendi’s eyes widened. “Free access to. . .” he trailed off, eyes lost in a dream.

“Yes. Will you come with me tomorrow to guard the prince?”

“You’re going to get me banished too, but yes, I’ll help you protect this human prince if that’s what you want.”

“Thank you, Elendi. I’ll trust you to tell the Council about the access. Just please, don’t tell them about what had to be done to obtain that access.”

“I won’t. Now, what of the Dragon’s Flame? What do you intend to do about that?”

“We have to find a way to destroy it.”

“How do you propose we do that? Elves and humans alike have been searching for it ever since it was lost. It was made to be used, and they seek to use it. Some one is bound to be able to sense it despite the spells. What you are suggesting is that we will somehow be able to hide this long enough to figure out how to destroy it and actually commit the deed. I’m sorry, Allía, but even for you that seems highly unlikely.”

A small smile played on the half-elf’s lips. “But not impossible. You show faith in me yet.” She sobered. “I know we won’t be able to keep it hidden forever. I just want to keep it hidden long enough to figure out how it can be destroyed. After that, woe to the man who tries to stand in my way.” Allía clenched her fist and moved toward the window.

Elendi sighed. “I will do anything in my power to help you, you know that. I must warn you to be careful. It is a dangerous game you play.”

I like it... ite getting beter and better as the plot thickens, keep the story coming! :)

lol. I will certainly try, but that is as far as I've gotten so far. It will take me a little while to write some more.

“I know, Elendi. But if I don’t play it, who will?” She asked and turned to look him in the eyes.

He had no answer for her. Soon after that he left, promising to meet her outside the inn shortly before dawn. Allía watched out the window as he led his horse away from the inn towards the center of town. Elendi was a good man, but he had been raised in a pure elf household. Allía loved the elves of the Western Wood and considered them her family; however, she strongly disagreed with their ideas about humans. Allía had spent some time amongst humans during her young adult years after being injured in a human city. A young man had taken her in and nursed her back to health. In order to have the chance to repay her rescuer she had stayed with him for several years waiting for the chance to save his life as he had saved hers. She learned much about humans and began to appreciate her heritage a little more.

Elendi had never been given that opportunity. And even if he had, Allía was not certain he would have been so moved. Elendi was strong, steadfast, and stubborn. They were qualities that she loved, most of the time. The only one who could get him to bend on a subject was her. But even she could not get him to give way in his feelings towards humans. She did not want it to be a wedge between them, but she feared it would be anyway. In the upcoming war there were sides to choose, and the choice between Duncan and the kingdoms was not the choice she had to make. As things stood between elves and humans she would have to make her choice between the immortal life of an elf or the mortal one of a human. It was not a decision she was looking forward to making.

Allía sighed and leaned her head against the window frame. Life had been so simple in her youth. She had it all figured out back then. She would become a warrior in the Elvin army and marry her childhood companion Elendi. Even when she had been so badly injured that she had needed that human’s help she had been set in that path. But then Duncan had betrayed the kingdom and threatened the human kingdom and the Elves of the Western Wood. The Elvin Council had immediately declared war on Duncan and said that the elves would go in alone. King Milan was a smart battle tactician. He knew neither the elves nor humans would be able to defeat Duncan on their own. He had immediately started trying to reason with the Elvin Council to no avail. Only Allía had dared answer the call for aid.

ArrowHate

Banned - What an Asshat!
tiger_86 said:
A hooded figure sat astride the back of a sleek, brown mare on the top of a grassy hill. In every direction all that could be seen was the slopes of similar hills underneath a dome of azure. A gentle breeze kept the temperature comfortable and made the rider's cloak stir. The sun hung directly overhead. The rider kept the horse still with slim legs whose muscles were clearly defined by dark brown leggings. One slender hand held the reins, which the rider normally did without, while the other rested placidly on the neck of the horse. The rider wore a forest green cloak over a black tunic.

The rider stirred as a figure appeared on the top of a distant hill. A few minutes later the newcomer met the waiting rider. "Allia?" the newcomer qestioned.

Allia bowed her head in recognition. "You have something for me?"

The newcomer nodded and reached into the saddlebag behind him. He pulled out an orb that glowed red and emanated a power so strong Allia feared it would be sensed miles away despite her precautions. "I had Mikhail put the spells on it that you requested."

Allia took the orb and quickly put it into her own saddlebag. "Good. Let us hope Duncan has not caught wind of this discovery."

"Indeed, My Lady. It would prove quite disastrous to the kingdom if the Dragon's Flame fell into his hands."

"Yes, it would. Now, be gone. We have dawdled here long enough."

He bowed and rode off in the direction from which he had arrived. Allia's gaze followed him for a moment. Then she patted her mare's neck and nudged it with her knees. Allia rode in the opposite direction from her visitor. She rode until she reached the town of Lornian at dusk. As she passed the local tavern The King's Barn she was stopped by one of the king's guard. She pulled back her hood to reveal an elegant, pale face set with eyes the color of sapphires and framed by wispy tendrils of blond that had come loose from her braid during the ride. "The king is inside waiting for you, Lady Allia," the guard informed her.

Allia frowned. "Very well. Where is your captain, Gustav?"

"Ill, My Lady."

"I am sorry to hear that. I wished to speak with him. When he is better then," Allia said and swept past the red and gold clad guards.

TOO LONG

DIZNUTS

Ñúñ'§ þêG £ègGéÐ /\/\å±ëý
tiger_86 said:
It's part of a story, so of course it's long.
the story is nice tiger :thumbsup:

Brazen

BAD, BOLD, BRAZEN
dude this is a nice story. i'm working on my story to but im not reviling it tell its done. i really like the story so far. you have some talent there kid. or adult. what ever you are. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thanks, guys! I'm having a bit of a writer's block moment, so it will be a little while before any more is posted. I'm_Darth_Vader, legally I'm an adult, but I'll always be a kid at heart :) .

What little more I have...

The Elvin Council found out about her talks with King Milan and was enraged. The Council put her on trial and found her guilty. The punishment had been banishment. Now, exiled from her home of 202 years she was working hard to aid the king and get back into the good graces of her town’s leaders. Allía rubbed her eyes wearily and moved towards the bed. Her efforts to repair the damage done with the Council had not been going well. If Elendi could convince them, she would be forever indebted to him and much surprised. Allía sat in the center of the bed, legs crossed, trying to achieve the trance needed to refresh her body. Due to the worries tossing tumultuously around in her mind it was a long time before the peace came to her.

By dawn the prince’s new bodyguards were at the palace. Allía introduced Elendi to King Milan. As warm and welcoming as King Milan’s greeting was Elendi’s was cool and distant. He made it clear in his manner that this was not something he was doing by choice. Allía rolled her eyes to the heavens but made no comment. This was neither the time nor the place for reprimands. The king ignored it as well and invited them in to join the royal family for breakfast.