WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Dragon's Fortress (Wtf's RPG)

_Kitana_

Angel of Death
The Dragon's Fortress
Please read the rules before you begain. http://www.wtf.com/showthread.php?t=13097

It was one of those days when you knew something was in the air and everyone in the village could feel it. Why else would so many strangers be traveling through a village that was on such an off beaten path. These strangers were obviously skilled and traveling unafraid with full pockets, passing through the village one by one, with an hour or two gap in between them. However it didn't take to skill of an eye to see each headed in the same direction.

"Mercenaries," Whispered one villager to his small son as they stood at the edge of the village.

Last edited by a moderator:

JLXC

WTF's Official Conspiracy Fanatic
Premium
The boy ran to tell his new friend the news. His new friend had given him a whole copper to watch for anything ususual.

"Hello Jacob!" the out of breath boy blurted out.

"Hello there? See anything neat?" replied the young boy with the old eyes.

"There's strangers my dad says are Merkinaries coming into town!" the excited boy eagerly provided.

"Thank you so much, I'm going to see if I know any of them. One of them might be my pa, thanks so much" with a hug and another copper, the young boy with the old eyes was off.

Soon the young boy was an attractive middle aged nobleman, in expensive, but well travelled garments, with a slight limp. The middle aged man with the old eyes slowly set off to see what there was to see.

_Kitana_

Angel of Death
However to a certain Dark elf there was nothing to see.

"This area is worthless" Kiay thought to herself as she looked around at the small wasteland of an area. Though something strange did make her a bit more cautious.

To Kiay the commoners looked a little bit more spooked around her than normal. She couldn't help but reflect on what this letter hadn't told her. Which was nothing at all, other then some drawing of an evil demonic creature and a scribble map.

She rode just past the first check point of the village guards and normally she never bother much with them and for the most part they let her be. However, this was different as one let his tongue slip out in common.

“Where you headed to strange….” he said Before the other guard quickly cut him off…

“Shhh… She may pass.” he hissed out while the first guard looked at him a bit shocked.

“She the 5th one to cross tod….” he uttered under his tongue.

“5th one?” she thought. "There are others?"

Brain Spout

Wizard No More
Earlier that same day, an old elf passed through the village. Although if you saw him you might not have known that he was aware of the village or of the world, or for that matter that he was walking. He appeared deep in thought and occassionally mumbled the oddest of things to himself as he strode through the village. It seamed that the owl at his shoulder was his foil. It appeared young, its feathers were shiny, and it appeared to be very alert, rotating its head to take in the village and all the commoners.

The commoners in the village talked amongst themselves as he walked through the village. Normally, they would have found it odd for something like that to happen, however earlier that day several other strangers had wondered through the small village.

jamesp

In Memory...
As Brill reined his horse up to the gate, the soldier, curiosity and....fear maybe? mirrored in his eyes, motioned him through without a word, if not a significant glance for the heron marked blade at his side. Riding through the village, he was aware of the villager's eyes upon him. He stopped at the local inn, dismounted, and tossed the stablehand a coin for his services. The smell of unchanged rushes and stale sweat buffeted him as he walked in. He sat at a table and was soon approached by a wench in broad skirts and a somewhat spotted white apron.

"Would you like some roast sir? Only three days off the fire...?", she asked.

"No, wine will be fine for now." he replied. "I suppose you people don't see many outlanders around here, huh?"

The tavern maid's eyes widened momentarily at the question. "No, we haven't seen any outsiders in a while", she said, glancing down quickly. The way in which she held herself said louder than words that she was lying.

He finished his wine, dropped a few coppers on the rough table top, and walked out. As he remounted, he pondered the villagers stares and unasked questions. He put a hand to his coat pocket, fingering breifly the strange letter, with its cryptic message. Shaking his head slightly, he eased his sword out of habit, and nudged his steed into a trot.

No, time to worry about the odd village, his questions would be answered soon enough....

dustinzgirl

Banned - What an Asshat!
The viliage was small, quiet, and compared to the places Linde had been, it was rather ramshackle. The gate was old, and Linde had the thought that if there was a siege, it would burn and fall with little more than a few well placed arrows. She could probably do it herself, if she was wont to such a deed. A pig farmer crossed ahead of her, tipping his hat behind the squeal of several fat pink pigs. The guards paid him no mind, but the elder guard eyed the tiny framed girl suspiciously.

"We don't take no riff-raff boy. What's your business here?"

Linde turned, her bright green eyes catching the last glimpses of the sun, setting the guard aback. She lifted her helm, and tresses of pale green hair fell from her shoulders. "I'm no boy, sir. I am Orelinde. My business is my own."

"It's a Forrest Elf, sir!" The younger guard, whose face was barely showing the shadow of manhood, exclaimed.

The elder guard gave him a prompt smack upon the back of his head.

"I will be on my way then." Linde stared the elder down. "Unless thee has other requests?"

The elder guard shook his grey hair, and to Linde's amazement, bowed low, knuckling his right fist to his forehead. The younger stared at him a moment, but prompted by a swift smack on the rump, did the same.

As Linde walked off, she heard the elder guard. "That be no plain Forrest Elf, boy. That be one of a house of Royalty, or I am not Jobias Thriddle."

Linde smiled to herself. Even in the farthest reaches of the world, her prestige was noticed amongst men. This gave her a satisfaction she could not deny, but also another fear. How can she hide herself, if she was so easily recognized?

She pondered this, stopping at the first inn she saw. The serving wench was pretty, if a bit plump. Linde saw first a human man, and sat herself as far from him as she could. She smelled power on him, power that should not be in the hands of mortals, but that was not her concern.

"What can I get you?" The wench asked, her blouse opened just enough to reveal the crease of her bosom.

"Water. Cold, if you have it. And some bread."

"Hhmph. There is an alms house down the road, if that be your need."
Linde handed her a silver piece, and the wench'es mouth fell agape. "I have no need of anything aside from water, a slice of bread, and silence. Do you understand me?"

The wench nodded, walking away with an oddly made curtsy. Linde thought the girl would fall over. It had been a rash move, she only had three silver pieces and thrice that in copper. But, as she had learned, the show of money to the right people, usually a talkative barmaid, could get many a thing done.

She was correct. Soon enough, the wench had spread the tale of Linde's charity to the barkeep, and he in turn to the innkeep. Linde would spend the night in the finest of rooms, alhtought the villiages finest would barely pass for a decent room back home, the accomadations were clean and the sheets were soft.

Whether or not she would pay for it at the end of the week, well, that was another story.

Boycott

Soul Doubt
Burz rode the Raven's training grounds. Gracefully and swiftly he dodged flaming arrows and flooded a small bunker that seemed to dismantle itself with the heavy water's weight.

"Impressive," complimented a small gnome, who wore more medallions than the military barracks in Ideed had to supply, "You'll go far if you stick with us."

"The food is disgraceful. Your training is pathetic. I've seen the wild. This won't help me. You can't teach what is already taught," replied Burz.

"Boy, you've seen nothing. Of my 98 years of service to this land, I've seen nothing a well-prepared warrior of the raven can't handle." The gnome looked rather irked.

"War is not proper application of power, but rather a display of the inner desire to impress. I'm not out to impress," Burz mumbled as he summed an elk to ride back to the barracks.

---------At the barracks

"New members have arrived, boy. Free up some cabin space, they're movin' in with you, " said a gold plated guard.

"Just my luck. I barely get enough room for my own belongings. I should have stayed at home. You better keep your end of the bargain. The halflings will be murdered as soon as you get the information, " replied an angered Burz

"Not to worry. We have everything you need. The roast is ready, by the way. You better go eat before everyone else eats it all."

"Roast. I hate this place."

Brain Spout

Wizard No More
Through the door to the barracks stepped an old elven man. He glance around before mumbling "This is worse than the 3rd level prison at Ghundar," to himself. He then strode, without so much as looking up to note the others in the room, to the finest looking cot in the room, with the most room around it. He withdrew a small bag from one of many pouches and set it on the ground. He then pulled out a large desk, an inkpen and a vial of ink, a huge stack of paper, and around 20 to 30 books, most of appeared to have somewhere near 1,000 pages.

After finally, situating himself and making a few more obscure comments about who knows what, he looked up at the guests in his room and and showed a warm smile before saying, "Greetings, I am Archmage Ivellios Galanodel.."

"Retired Archmage," the quiet owl at his shoulder spoke up.

"None, the less Archimedes, I held the title, and I still dese..." Mid sentence the bird fluttered from his shoulder to a rafter and began surveying the room.

"I'm sorry, he can get like this sometimes when he doesn't have time to fly or he has to travel long distances."

_Kitana_

Angel of Death
edit....

(OOC) thought it would flow better if i moved my section down. DG pls delete this post.

jamesp

In Memory...
As Brill wound his way down the overgrown road, he felt the hair on the back of his neck rising. Someone was watching him. He innocuously eased his sword in its sheath, assuring that is was unhindered.

As he came around a bend, the road suddenly ended at a cold gray gatehouse. As he approached, a large man with dark brown hair, streaked with gray, walked out. He was clad in very heavy plate mail, and carried a large battle axe at his side.

"Dismount Sir, and approach" he called. "What brings you to....ah, one of the mercs I see, eh, well, go on through. You are expected at the main Barracks."

"Mercs? I am no mercinary! I am the Lord Captain Commander of the Queens Guard you...." he started just to be interrupted by the man, "I don't care what you were, you are on my land now boy. Now get to the Barracks before I send for old Ivellios to wrap you up like a pretzel and carry you there."

Brill bit his lower lip until he tasted blood, but kept his words, and gauntlets, to himself. He applied light pressure with his knees, urging the horse forward. As he rode through the gate, he noticed that the walls were thick, at least 20 spans. He pondered why this lonely outpost would need such great walls, until he was jerked from his revery by the sight of a young man riding a rather large elk across the training grounds. Training grounds thick with gnomes!

With a curse he ripped his sword from its sheath, "Godless bastards!" he screamed. And with that he booted his horse into a run, intent on running them all down. Before he made it 20 yards, a young man, with too big eyes, leaped in front of the charging warhorse. Brill barely managed to stop, sawing at the reins.

Before he got a curse out at the boy, he piped in a squeaky voice, "Sir, you are expected at the barracks, please follow me."

Brill, eyes hot with rage, followed the boy, glancing the whole while at the gnomes, watching him curiously. The boy was leading him the way that the man riding the elk had gone.

The young man dismounted the elk near a large square building, which Brill could only assume was the Barracks, it being the biggest of the squat structures. He rode up to the building, watching the elk sedately walk off, and tied his mount to the hitching post. As he strode through the door, he immediately recognized an elf behind a largish desk, covered with books. Keeping his dislike of the standoffish race, he approached the desk, making it only half way before a something splatted onto his shoulder. As he stared a large brown owl flew from its perch on the rafters high ahead, to sit on the shoulder of the elderly old elf.

"Good day sir, I am Brill Illianus, Lord Capta......"

_Kitana_

Angel of Death
Kiay looked down at her map and than back up again. This was strange, it was as if everything that previously happened was earse.

"An Illusion?"

She looked down at her map and realized this was the place. However, there was nothing here. She slowly got off her horse and with great caution at sound of a small noise. It appears that something was around.

"Grab her Horse..." said a firm voice " Show her to her barracks."

She didn't really have time to look at the gnomes trying to grab her horse. She just turned and wized a small firball passed their head. The gnomes stood in small shock and looked up to see a very angry dark elf standing in their presence.

“No one touches thy horse but I”

“Our Apologizes thy lady,” one gnome seem to choke out, “ we thought thou had received the letter of ravens…”

“I received the letter and I will TAKE thy OWN HORSE… Thou shall follow and thou shall lead” She said ordering and pointing at each of the gnomes.

“I… am the commander…her… I mean.. Ah, Yes!” The gnome spoke out

The rest of the trip to the barracks went with out incident. She arrived at the massive training grounds and in front of the large stable. She walked in it was plain to see that it was in very poor condition, just good enough to keep the horses alive.

“I will not keep thy horse in this place. She will stay with thee… NOW SHOW ME TO thy BARRKETS”

Before the gnome went to speak Kiay whispered a string of words that made no sense to non-magic user and before they knew it, her beautiful black horse was changed into a stunning looking human woman with long black hair and dark flowing robe.

“Come Kithara... And bring her oats and fresh water.” she said once again ordering the gnomes around.

They took her with out fuss to her room. There Kiay could see two strange men standing at the desk and an odd old wizard sitting down with a stack of book, seemly smiling at nothing. She was about to speak when she looked up to see an owl flying and fluttering it wings.

“Hmm…” she thought. “Fresh Meat”

With that she lit her finger with a small glowing fire and shot it towards the owl, missing and starting a small fire in the barracks.

"Fast little owl it is," she said looking around..." Thou," She said pointing at one of the two men at the desk, " help kill the owl and we have fresh meat. Understand? Old Man! What are you doing in thy section of barracks? MOVE!"

JLXC

Premium
Having learned what little she could in such a short time the Changing One went to meet the group in person, for the "first time". He had watched and even talked to some of them in several guises, but nothing important, nothing worth remembering. Now in the guise of a human ranger, all leather, and simple clothing, he moved to where they were supposed to meet.

Arriving at the entrace to the barracks, he made sure to seem non-threatening. He greeted the gaurds cordially, and followed their instructions to the letter.

He introduced himself as Jacob, to anyone who cared, and simply sat and watched and listened. Waiting for what was to come. Anyone who spoke with him was treated with respect and interest. He smiled at any jokes, and was quiet when anyone seemed that was what they desired. He didn't seem very threatening at all. Still he held himself straight, with confidence, and seemed to always be watching and listening.

Brain Spout

Wizard No More
Brill's introduction hadn't stirred Ivellios, however kiay's fire ball had. Ivellios stood up quickly. He surveyed the room as his chair fell to the floor. He then whispered a few words and threw his cloak over his owl for a moment or so. When he turned back to the crowd looking at him the owl was gone. He rested his hands on two of the many pouches on his belt. He noticed that one of the pouches was opened, he closed it. Finally, after the wizard managed to gain his composure, a look of disdain came to his face.

"I am Ivellios Galanodel, that was my trusted companion Archimedes, who will never be eaten." He said, somewhat angrily. "I'm sure they feed the people that live, here. So, if we'll all be patient I'm sure we will eat soon enough." He turned and picked up his chair, and then sat back at his desk. He continued writing and glancing at the occassional book.

Boycott

Soul Doubt
"I've heard of you through my mother..., " Burz started but seemed to suddenly stop with mention of his mother. "Er... She was interested in magic... Ivellios, just wondering, have you ever heard of the name 'Carda Nobbu' or happen to know anything about a band of halflings that passed through Ideed? You seem the type to know a lot."

Billybob

Gimmie Pwnies
Premium
Firr entered through the doorway casually. As he entered, he began to survey his surroundings. He could see a tall woman speaking, somewhat overwhelmed to a shorter elf. Eves dropping he heard the elf introduce himself as Ivellios Galanodel.
"Ivellios Galanodel," he said to himself, "gotta remember that."
He sat down in a empty table, pulling a small sketchbook from his side-pouch. He began to sketch, slowly losing himself in the art he was creating. The time passes, and he grew impatient from the waiting. He asked aloud, "When are we oging to get started?", but received no response. With a slight shrug of his shoulders, he went back to his sketchbook, now eagerly waiting for whomever sent him the letter to emerge.

_Kitana_

Angel of Death
Kiay was diffently upset over the disapearing owl and the common knowledge that the food was going to be terrible, gave her the idea to go hunting in the nerby forest.

"Who is with me?" She said loudly with out ever truly saying what she was going to do, " We will need better supplies than what the gnomes have to offer and That DEAR ownl Would of been 4 days worth of food for thee"

Brain Spout

Wizard No More
After a couple of seconds Ivellios's head popped out of his books and he began to mumble about 'Carda Nobbu' and 'Ideed'. He seamed to sit mumbling and thinking to himself for a while and then finally he spoke up.

"Carda Nobbu was the clan of halfings that around two hundred years ago did some unnatural things with magic. They were able to become more powerful, but in so doing gained a sort of unnatural aura that even someone untrained in magic could detect. However, as far as anyone knows they died out or were killed around 20 or so years ago. As far as any halflings passing through Ideed, I wouldn't know anything more than you about that. Why do you ask about Carda Nobbu?"

dustinzgirl

Banned - What an Asshat!
The barracks were clean, orderly. Already Linde had been watching the comings and goings, silently perched atop a tree. The guards had taken her letter with an almost suspicious eye. The gnomes led her to the barracks, showing her the common room. She sat silently in the corner, watching. Until the elder elf mentioned Carda Nobbu. Odd, the poisons she had used thirty years past (a rather short time for an elf) had come from Lagoon Nabbu, the chieftan's third cousin four times removed.

"I have been to Ideed." She said, simply, quietly. "I know thier magics." Her bright green eyes reflected in the low firelight, almost illuminating her face with a sickly green palor. "Thier magic, and thier peoples, are not extinct as you would believe, Owlman." Her teeth flashed a sharp grin. "Mayhap, thou does not know as much as thy would think too."

JLXC

Premium
The Changing One, or "Jacob", watched intensely the gathering people. He put on his best "Country Boy" persona and was ready for action. Appearing calm and simple on the exterior, he was very cautious about these mercenaries, especially the antagonistic demeanor a few of them had already shown. They would deserve watching. After checking the area for Invisibile beings, magical wards, and noting the exact locations of all the windows, people, and exits, he scanned the roof to make sure no surprises would "drop in."

He decided to get a better feel for them and approached the elderly elf, quite a rarity. Obviously he was a magicain of some note, and he carried himself with the confidence of one with power. He stepped up to the elf, not too close, not too far, and spoke in very precise elvish, though quietly so everyone wouldn't hear.

"Blessings of the people upon you elder, I am known as Jacob to some, how do you come by such unique company?"

icka

fuckoffanddiekthx!
after following the people from the inn and sneaking into the barricks Illeana hid in the corner of the common area. She was equipped with her dagger, a few coppers and a piece of silver that was tossed at her in the inn. She was no longer a wench but now a mercenary.

She surveyed each person as they passed by. Her lack of experience made her cower in the corner a bit. She listened closely to all the conversations. The mention of Carda Nobbu got her attention for some unknown reason. Being so young she didnt understand why the name was so familiar to her. She watched as the strange elf tried to eat the owl. She realized she needed some sort of experience before whatever mission awaited her here at the barricks.

"you there, kiay", she shouted firmly.

excitement filled her face. "i'll go with you".