WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Discuss Drinking age

tzedek

Original Member
I think that if you are old enough at 18 to give up your life for this country (in the military) then you also should have the freedom of deciding if you want to drink alcohol or not. And besides you can look at other countrys that have lower drinking age or none at all and "underage" drinking isnt a problem there ar all.

ReiMeishin

Dreaming to live
The legal drinking age in Japan is 20, which I think is lunacy. I believe that the drinking age should be 16, so that youth can learn to drink responsibly before they have the option of driving. I believe that Japan's driver's liscence policy is extremely good, however. You cannot get you liscense unless you have a high school diploma. Almost nobody drops out here.

shep

Local alcoholic
Drinking age is 19 here in canada :thumbsup: Good for some ,bad for the mouthy 19 year old drunk :thumbsdn:

EDIT:exept Alberta,it's 18 :thumbsup:

msalyss85

Banned - What an Asshat!
tzedek said:
I think that if you are old enough at 18 to give up your life for this country (in the military) then you also should have the freedom of deciding if you want to drink alcohol or not.
Agreed. If you can die via the army, you should be able to die via alcohol.

ChilianFuckFace

Banned - What an Asshat!
msalyss85 said:
Agreed. If you can die via the army, you should be able to die via alcohol.
Problem is that drunk drivers kills inocent people... Ohh I forgot, the army does it as well... I guess we are fucked no matter what!

dustinzgirl

Banned - What an Asshat!
I think they should outlaw drinking period, Or legalize downers and stimulants.

Why are cigarettes legal? They are a very addictive substance, even more so than crank.

Why is marijuanna illegal? It causes less medical issues than cigs or alcohol.

But, the government can tax alcohol and cigarettes, that is why it is illegal to grow your own tobacco without a liscence or to make moonshine without a liscence.

Its all about the benjamins guys.

16 year old kids could drink, many probably more responsibly than grown ups. But they dont have as much money as grown ups.

Also, if you look at this from a physiological perspective, a male cfontinues growth until his mid 20's. If you are persistantly poisoning your body while in the growth stage, you will have medical consequences.

ChilianFuckFace

Banned - What an Asshat!
Agree and Thank you!!!!

Only a woman could figure this out...

We are all still in our growth stage.

RageAgainst

Chaotic Neutral
If you're responsible enough to own a gun. Aren't you responsible enough to drink?

Rage against said:
If you're responsible enough to own a gun. Aren't you responsible enough to drink?
Too bad they can only assume you're responsible enough....

voiceofreason

Seeker of Truth
tzedek said:
I think that if you are old enough at 18 to give up your life for this country (in the military) then you also should have the freedom of deciding if you want to drink alcohol or not. And besides you can look at other countrys that have lower drinking age or none at all and "underage" drinking isnt a problem there ar all.
Oldest debate in the book.

Why do we have so many teens dead from car crashes evey year? Drinking.

Sorry, that argument doesn't fly...

bigck3000

The Iron Lung
If you're 18 in the military, you are allowed to drink while on base.

ferengi

Yay fire!
Rage against said:
It's probably best that those two aren't combined so early.. lol.

In all seriousness though, I could care less about the drinking age, as I have never, do not presently, and never intend to drink alcohol. I do believe that the whole underage drinking thing stems partially from it being "against the rules" and comes into play in the whole "rebellious teenager" thing. We can't make alcohol completely illegal, because if we all payed attention in history class, we know that doesn't work, and only amplifies the aforementioned problem (except with organized criminals instead of unruly adolescents). In an ideal society, nobody would even want to consume alcohol, but we're hardly an ideal society. Alcohol will always be around, as will people who consume it and the ones who abuse it. If you're 18 or over and want booze, I say have at it. It's your life to potentially ruin, and your body that you're damaging. If, however, you're going to lower the drinking age, then it would be wise to stiffen penalties for violations of the law that are performed while intoxicated. If you choose to exercise your right to drink, end up getting drunk, then go out and get some innocent person killed or seriously hurt, then your ass needs to be nailed to the wall. That way maybe people would make more intelligent decisions about drinking, and at least the amount of deaths caused by alcohol related accidents would be prevented from climbing any higher.

blw72887

Just a poster
ferengi74656 said:
It's probably best that those two aren't combined so early.. lol.

In all seriousness though, I could care less about the drinking age, as I have never, do not presently, and never intend to drink alcohol. I do believe that the whole underage drinking thing stems partially from it being "against the rules" and comes into play in the whole "rebellious teenager" thing. We can't make alcohol completely illegal, because if we all payed attention in history class, we know that doesn't work, and only amplifies the aforementioned problem (except with organized criminals instead of unruly adolescents). In an ideal society, nobody would even want to consume alcohol, but we're hardly an ideal society. Alcohol will always be around, as will people who consume it and the ones who abuse it. If you're 18 or over and want booze, I say have at it. It's your life to potentially ruin, and your body that you're damaging. If, however, you're going to lower the drinking age, then it would be wise to stiffen penalties for violations of the law that are performed while intoxicated. If you choose to exercise your right to drink, end up getting drunk, then go out and get some innocent person killed or seriously hurt, then your ass needs to be nailed to the wall. That way maybe people would make more intelligent decisions about drinking, and at least the amount of deaths caused by alcohol related accidents would be prevented from climbing any higher.
I agree with you, specially the 18 age limit, If you can Smoke, and go to war and shoot people, why not be bale to drink? However I never intend on drking either, I have seen what it can do to people, not to mention how stupid poeple really become..but I do agree with you ;)

tzedek

Original Member
voiceofreason said:
Oldest debate in the book.

Why do we have so many teens dead from car crashes evey year? Drinking.

Sorry, that argument doesn't fly...
thats not the only reason teens die in car crashes, a lot of teens are either bad drivers or are immature/irresponsible and can get into accidents like that.

you could also look at it as "Raise the minimum enlistment age to 21"
or something...

breakology

Kiss my Converse
Rage against said:

Drinking and gun owning .... a winning combo! ... LOL! :p

RageAgainst

Chaotic Neutral
Doesn't matter, when I was illegal we always found ways to buy alcohol anyways :thumbsup:

tzedek

Original Member
Rage against said:
Doesn't matter, when I was illegal we always found ways to buy alcohol anyways :thumbsup:

wow, thats impressive :rolleyes:

bigck3000

The Iron Lung
once again...if you're 18, in the military, you can drink while on base.

dustinzgirl

Banned - What an Asshat!
Rage against said:
My kid has a CO2, BB gun and a .22 He is nine years old. He is very responsible with these items, and can shoot better than some adults I know. So I dont quite understand your point here, since no 9 yr old should drink. And he wont drink when he is a teen ager either because he is afraid of me.