WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Drivers for Laptop CD-ROM

Brain Spout

Wizard No More
right now my laptop is OSless and the only way im going to get one on is to get some drivers for my CD-ROM drive. i'm trying to put on windows 98, but the restoration disk doesn't contain the proper drivers. it's an OTI-ATAPI CD-ROM 91x drive. i can't find the drivers and if i did i'm not really sure how to install them... i think when i get to a certain point it asks if i want to install drivers, but i haven't investigated that route yet. do i just need to put the drivers on a floppy?

Darklight

Oppressing your posts...
most companies that make laptops put all the drivers for each model up on thier website... thats how i got the video drivers for mine...

OmegaZeto

Eyeless Pilot
......Did you say a 91x CD-ROM drive? I've never even heard of that, and find it very hard to believe you've got the speed right... Could you double-check?

Also... It's possible to make a DOS boot disk that will allow you to insert a floppy into any computer and boot it into DOS. There are several old DOS games that have a bootdisk-making feature but I don't know exactly where to find one after all these years.
You could try Monkey Island or Full Throttle, but they're from LucasArts and are not abandonware.

EDIT: To clarify, most boot disks come with CD-ROM drivers and will allow you to temporarily activate the CD-ROM drive in order to install windows.

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
Most likely the problem is that you need a bootdisk with CD-ROM drivers on it. By itself the laptop probably doesn't support the CD-ROM from the BIOS.

You can go to www.bootdisk.com and download a disk creater. Stick a floppy disk in your working systems drive and run the little program. It'll create a boot disk with CD-ROM support so that you can load Win 98.

To make it easier for you I went and looked at the images available. This one should work for you. It's an image of the bootdisk that came with the retail version of 98se.