WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines Eagle Scouts with Down Syndrome

BrIONwoshMunky

EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY!
Staff
In my local paper yesterday, a gentleman with Down Syndrome was honored for receiving his Eagle Scout award. This bit of feel good news made the front page of our little paper. Admittedly it isn't much, but it's more than some others are getting.

https://duboiscountyherald.com/b/eagle-scout-honor-emotional-for-beckman-family

Then this morning, I read an article from USA Today. There's a family in Utah suing the Boy Scouts on behalf of their Down Syndrome son who was denied his in progress Eagle Scout project, and stripped of his badges.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...laims-down-syndrome-discrimination/442586002/

I wholly understand that we don't know the Boy Scout reasons at this point, (hopefully there is at least one REALLY good one) but, Damn. That's just fucking depressing.

There are times when parity matters. If the boy was trying to become a fire fighter, police officer, join the military, or become a nuclear physicist, then I get it. You can't make special exceptions for him, and he must complete the same requirements as everyone else.

I can't say I'm fully aware of everything it takes to become an Eagle Scout. I would assume it takes some level of acumen in a variety of disciplines not usually capable of someone with Down Syndrome. However, it seems like the Boy Scouts would also, (and indeed do, if my local Eagle Scout is any indication) take the disability into account.

I don't want to downplay the worth or seriousness of attaining the Eagle Scout rank. I'm sure it takes a level of dedication and perseverance that I've rarely displayed on any one subject, but Damn.

EDIT/UPDATE::
Apparently, the Boy Scouts do have something to say:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...rome-merit-badges-eagle-scout-rank/444662002/

...The group said Logan Blythe is still a Boy Scout and still has the option to earn the rank of Eagle Scout, even with modifications. The Boy Scouts said the National Disabilities Advancement Team wants to work with Logan's family to review what he already accomplished and figure out a path forward. ...

Last edited:

Crazizniac

Particinator
Uh, it's Utah. Every LDS kid in Utah is welcome to be a boy Scout and is expected to do a minimal amount of work to get the rank. Every non LDS kid is politely asked to not be in Boy Scouts. The church rules the organization here. Was the kid from a non LDS family? If he was, he was definitely shunned. I got no problems with the pig - fuckers but they are as prejudiced as can be where the boy scouts are concerned. Yes I live in Utah. No I am not LDS . Yes many of my friends are and no they do not welcome non LDS at there Boy Scout activities.

BrIONwoshMunky

EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY!
Staff
Uh, it's Utah. Every LDS kid in Utah is welcome to be a boy Scout and is expected to do a minimal amount of work to get the rank. Every non LDS kid is politely asked to not be in Boy Scouts. The church rules the organization here. Was the kid from a non LDS family? If he was, he was definitely shunned. I got no problems with the pig - fuckers but they are as prejudiced as can be where the boy scouts are concerned. Yes I live in Utah. No I am not LDS . Yes many of my friends are and no they do not welcome non LDS at there Boy Scout activities.
Kiddo was supposedly a scout for 'several' years. It would definitely be interesting to learn if he was supported the way it appears my local scout was. I was pretty proud of our community reading about it.

I guess it just got me thinking about how an organization that is known mostly for its good deeds can get fucked over what is probably one guy being a douche. It's the same with lots of things, but this one just stood out as relevant currently.

MaxPower

You're my number two
Staff
My Dad was an Eagle scout. Then that was the days when you could get a shooting badge. When I was in scouts there was a kid with downs. He never ( that I recall) got close to EagleB Bu he had plenty of badges. True we helped him a bit. But no more than any other scout that had a particular need to be assisted achieving a particular badge. It's what it was about. Yes, personal achievement. But also the sense of community and helping your fellow scout.
Chances are he had a little help. But as long as he learned something along the way, that's the point.