WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Earth Distance

Brain Spout

Wizard No More
Okay, here's my question: is the earth a perfect sphere. I don't mean perfectly perfect. the equator is around 24,000 miles around, is any one of the lines of latitude about the same or is the earth not perfectly a sphere? by around i mean within a couple hundred miles.

gehtfuct

HuGE
Staff
Enjoy.

I'm not sure what you've been smoking, but this link would be easier than to explain it. My typing suXXors.

the earth is NOT a perfect sphere, it's a little elliptical, a little squashed.

Brain Spout

Wizard No More
dull_bullet said:
the earth is NOT a perfect sphere, it's a little elliptical, a little squashed.
went onto the google and typed it in, not sure if my source was right, but it said that the equator is roughly 70 miles longer than say the prime meridian.

It's because the inside of the earth is liquid. The earth is also spinning at a very high speed.

Therefore, due to the gravitational strain on the earth, the earth is longer than it is high.

Or something. I just confused myself.

</pathetic attempt to sound smart>

:happysad:

Brain Spout

Wizard No More
Unforgiven said:
It's because the inside of the earth is liquid. The earth is also spinning at a very high speed.

Therefore, due to the gravitational strain on the earth, the earth is longer than it is high.

Or something. I just confused myself.

</pathetic attempt to sound smart>

:happysad:
what i heard is that the earth is essentially a sphere because gravity is pushing it that way, but since the earth is spinning it is wider

gehtfuct

HuGE
Staff
WizardlyFriend said:
went onto the google and typed it in, not sure if my source was right, but it said that the equator is roughly 70 miles longer than say the prime meridian.
You're not sure if it's right? So you figured that the alternative was to gather info at WTF.com. That's kind of like washing your ass before you take a shit.
Why would you do that?

The theory is: the earth was formed from gravitational pulls, and is currently spinning forming the globe that we all know and love-it also seems that we can't live without it....I guess. (??) All the while pulling it's weight against itself. Thusly creating an elongated sphere.....ish thingy.

Fuck. I dunno. Ask Max. :redface:

gehtfuct said:
You're not sure if it's right? So you figured that the alternative was to gather info at WTF.com. That's kind of like washing your ass before you take a shit.
Why would you do that?

The theory is: the earth was formed from gravitational pulls, and is currently spinning forming the globe that we all know and love-it also seems that we can't live without it....I guess. (??) All the while pulling it's weight against itself. Thusly creating an elongated sphere.....ish thingy.

Fuck. I dunno. Ask Max. :redface:
Max knows all about elongated things.

i heard that theres no such thing as a perfect sphere, but thats just me.

Unforgiven said:
Max knows all about elongated things.
ahahaha

It's cause gravity is stronger on the poles of the earth so it squishes it. Like a juicy tomatoe. The spinning also helps. Damn centripital force.

Brain Spout

Wizard No More
gehtfuct said:
Why would you do that?
not as much ass wipage because you ass is wet and therefore the shit doesn't stick as well.

EDIT: and yes the sole purpose of this thread was to learn information i could probably find with a little bit of research, but im lazy and i figure someone knows it or will do the research so they look smart.

Broken

Member smoked too much weed!
Well in this thread we lose hope for "Wiz for President of the Interwebnets
FCC for Vice-President."

Thanks For playing.

Nailbomb

I'm just really nice.
Broken said:
FCC for Vice-President."

Thanks For playing.
Oh shit! Wiz and FCC just went out the door and I never took that seriously...that means Johnny owns the internet now?

...guess I'll get a head start on our new mandatory rules...

F U C K I N G D E S T R O Y E D
:rotflmao:

Icarus

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Broken said:
FCC for Vice-President."

Thanks For playing.
First of all, :rofl:

Anyways, on-topic...

Okay, the earth was probably formed around the same time the Sun was maturing into a star. The sun had a disk, which rotated along with the sun... as the disk dissapated, the leftovers are today's planets. Now. There was a bunch of debris, or asteroids for those of us less astronomically inclined, that kept colliding into each other. Basically, whichever asteroid was bigger would win the battle, and add the smaller asteroid onto it. The resulted in a bunch of potato-shaped things. They then ran into each other a helluva lot, which eventually resulted in the terrestrial planets. So, we had roughly sphere-shaped planets, which due to gravity became even more sphere-shaped. But then, due to centrifugal force, Earth expands near the waistband. So... the earth is an enlongated sphere. :thumbsup: